Landmark and Bighorn go LED for Interior Lighting

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Kathy, every bulb in the camper can be replaced with that model number?
Yep...we replaced everyone of the interior lights, even those in the cargo bays. The ones Traveltiger bought would also work...for a lot less money. Ours were about $25.00 each.

sjs731

Have any of you checked to see how much cooler the operating temp is for the LED replacement bulb?

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Steve, the ones I used, compatible with the 1141 bulb, still get warm, but not as warm. In a test, I had the original incandescent bulb on one side and the led bulb on the other. Turned it on for about a minute. Then went to remove both bulbs... Burned hand on incandescent, was warm but not burning on led.

sjs731

Thanks for the info for where to buy and temp. I figured they would be a little cooler. I just ordered a 10 pack to start with.

Steve

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have had a similar experience with the Starlight bulbs that we bought. Much better lighting and cooler to the touch.

jbeletti

Have any of you checked to see how much cooler the operating temp is for the LED replacement bulb?

Steve

I've changed most of my ceiling lights out for the new LED fixtures Heartland now uses in Landmark. In the next few days, I'll try to remember to bring in the IR gun to shoot the glass shade of the new fixture and old fixture after say, 5 minutes of operation and report back here.

I can say that the LED bulbs in our new fixture is a color temperature that is pretty close to the halogen bulb. So a nice warm looking light with little heat and little power consumption.

I've created a step by step guide to swapping fixtures, including part number and pricing. I'll try to get it online in a new thread in a week or so.

TravelTiger

Jim, I was in a new Landmark at the Dallas show. I assume it had the LEDs, I couldn't tell! The light did look very natural.

jbeletti

Jim, I was in a new Landmark at the Dallas show. I assume it had the LEDs, I couldn't tell! The light did look very natural.

A quick touch the to glass shade will tell you which it was. Can you remember if it had a *reeded edge around the glass shade? The halogen fixture had a smooth edge and the LED is reeded.

* Not really sure what to call the edge. U.S. Quarters and Dimes have reeded (not smooth) edges. So I use that analogy :)

Last edited:

TravelTiger

A quick touch the to glass shade will tell you which it was. Can you remember if it had a *reeded edge around the glass shade? The halogen fixture had a smooth edge and the LED is reeded.

* Not really sure what to call the edge. U.S. Quarters and Dimes have reeded (not smooth) edges. So I use that analogy :)

Funny, I did touch one, it had the reeded edge.

jbeletti

Funny, I did touch one, it had the reeded edge.

Cool - then you experienced the "real deal" LED fixture :)

Time to hit the road for another day of travel. Will work on the LED article this weekend during the MN rally. Maybe :)

K

karykatz

TravelTiger,

the landmark at the Dallas show did have the new LED lights. It will be easy to check when look at SOB's. Just touch the light. the Really hot ones are halogen.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did manage to shoot my IR gun on the incandescent lights vs. the LED's I put in (ceiling lights, so far). The LED's were running about 72 deg. and the incandescents were close to 120. You can feel the difference when you touch the plastic lens covers.

On a related note, when I replaced the bulbs in one of the wall sconces (main slide), I blew the 15A ATC fuse for the slide (and yes, the red LED indicator did light up on the panel). Curious. Put the LED's in a ceiling fixture and they work fine. Replaced the OEM bulbs and the fuse and got the lights back after wiggling the bulb. When we get back to the rig next week (up at Calumet now, sans BH), I'll have to check the wiring in that lamp.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I found the cause for blowing the 15A fuse when I installed LED's in the wall sconce. Maybe next time I pull a bulb out of a socket I'll take a look at the base!! The sconces use a 1076 dual-base bulb, not the single base 1141/1156 types. Sticking a single base bulb into a double base socket essentially shorts the thing out. Why double base?? Cuz the sconce sockets are plastic, not metal. DUH!

At least it didn't damage the pricey LED bulbs.