New to 5th Wheeling and have freshwater tank questions

dgriffis

Greetings, I am new to the whole 5th Wheeling experience and have purchased a 2013 Cyclone 4100.
I have a few questions regarding the freshwater tank.

First, all the sensors for the grey and black tanks seem to work fairly accurately, however for the freshwater tank, the sensors are not good. I know based on other threads that the sensors cannot be expected to be wonderful and I understand for the grey and black tanks why this would be the case, But for the freshwater tank I am a bit surprised that it is so bad.

Basically when the tank is empty, it reads empty on the sensor display. When it has about 10 seconds of water in it it, it reads full. Since its a brand new unit, I would expect it to be better than that. It reads full from then on, until its empty again. I thought at first filling it maybe made a sensor wet and read wrong but it stays saying full.

This makes filling the freshwater tank problematic since I have no real way of knowing when it actually full which leads to my second issue.

It was my understanding there should be some sort of overflow hose or thing in place for the freshwater tank. This would, in case of overfilling, allow the excess water to flow out of this hose somewhere. In my case, the first time filling the freshwater tank, since the sensor just says "Full" all the time, I was watching my watch and waiting for water to come out of some hose somewhere to tell me it was full so I could just time my fills from then on. However instead of a hose starting to drain off water, water just began pouring from all over the plastic shield cover on the underside of my 5th wheel. Anywhere it found a "Low" spot in the cover, it drained water. Since I imagine wires, and all kinds of things are protected behind that cover I would think water sitting in there and pouring out in various places is a real bad thing.

So my questions are these -

1) Should I have a repair person look at the sensors for the freshwater tank? Is there any point or are they really that bad usually?
2) How long should I let my freshwater tank fill for, safely? Obviously when I need to fill it I want to have as much water in it as possible but don't want to ruin anything by overfilling.
3) Should there be a overflow hose somewhere and if so where would it be on my Cyclone 4100?
4) I have read a lot of threads where people say to remove that cover underneath the 5th wheel and take a look yourself. Never mind that that would be like handing a hammer to a 2 year old in a glass shop and telling them to have fun. (Based on my experience thus far) but there are all kinds of brackets and mounts attached to the outside of that cover as well such as the drain pipes for the grey and black tanks etc so I'm not sure how good it would be to just start ripping things apart. Any advise in this area?

Appreciate the help ahead of time!

TedS

I believe with the new Anderson valve there is near the valve a vent with a screen over it. This is the tank vent and water would flow out there when the tank is overfilled. The hose to this vent may have come loose or is leaking giving you water out the underside. Have the dealer do the undercover removal and inspection.

The freshwater sensors may be connected incorrectly. The 1/3 full sensor may be connected to the 'full' light.

Guess water flow to your trailer to be 3-5 gallons per minute. Divide your tank capacity by 3, 4, or 5 to get an estimate on fill time. For example, 75 gallons divided by 5 would give a fill time of 15 minutes.

jbeletti

I believe with the new Anderson valve there is near the valve a vent with a screen over it. This is the tank vent and water would flow out there when the tank is overfilled...

Ted,

With the Anderson 4-way valves, I'm not so sure we use the vent feature on it. I know on my Landmark, the vent feature of the valve faceplate is not used. My fresh water tank vents are all tied together and a single piece of PEX comes out through the I-Beam frame with a plastic 90 on it - pointing down.

That said, construction techniques can vary slightly by plant.

TedS

Jim, I like your Landmark vent better. Little chance for getting a water plug that stops up the vent.

Porkchop

We don't have a sensor problem, but we also had the water gush out of the door side, under the frame when we 'overfilled'. Its difficult knowing when it's full because it would vary depending on the water pressure I think. I'd like to know about this as well.

Interesting thread, We have a 2012 cyclone 4014. We have been traveling since last May, mostly staying in parks with Fresh water so we only put a little in the water tank, the other day we were going to boon dock on BLM land so i started filling the tank, water never came out of the vent in the side compartment but when the guage got to 3/4 water started gushing out from under the belly cover, I made an access to the belly but it seems the thing has a double bottom. I even opened the panel in the underbelly compartment and could see down a hole to follow the line but not the tank itself, looking from the access I made in the belly cover I could see the water running out from over a piece of pressboard. Pressboard is not good in water, I am a retired contractor so I know that's not a good thing. The water continued untill the level was below the 3/4 light. I wonder if it has a vent down there too and the tankd was full? Now after reading this thread I am really puzzled. Someone responded about double tanks? and a crossover hose? I plan to take it to a dealer when we get down south for the winter but I would love to just be able to fix it now.

danemayer

Hi Troybuildsit,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

sjs731

I use a Rainwave water flow meter on my hose when I fill my tank. It shows how many gallons are going in. It is very accurate. Sometimes I don't want a full tank and with this meter I can put in just what I want.

lwmcguir

Interesting thread, We have a 2012 cyclone 4014. We have been traveling since last May, mostly staying in parks with Fresh water so we only put a little in the water tank, the other day we were going to boon dock on BLM land so i started filling the tank, water never came out of the vent in the side compartment but when the guage got to 3/4 water started gushing out from under the belly cover, I made an access to the belly but it seems the thing has a double bottom. I even opened the panel in the underbelly compartment and could see down a hole to follow the line but not the tank itself, looking from the access I made in the belly cover I could see the water running out from over a piece of pressboard. Pressboard is not good in water, I am a retired contractor so I know that's not a good thing. The water continued untill the level was below the 3/4 light. I wonder if it has a vent down there too and the tankd was full? Now after reading this thread I am really puzzled. Someone responded about double tanks? and a crossover hose? I plan to take it to a dealer when we get down south for the winter but I would love to just be able to fix it now.
Many of the HL's do have double fresh water tanks. Not sure about yours and they all are a pain to fill from experience and what has been posted.