Trail America Defective Tire Alert

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
DOT date

Insurance said estimate for repairs is acceptable and to fix BH. Now I have to gather pictures and receipts and send them to Shawn @ JCA. Now it is just waiting for parts and repairs to be completed. I had "DOT 1NOR", too. Found the DOT date on the other side of the tire. Perhaps anyone with the Trail America tires should be contacting JCA. I don't think there has been any injuries related to the blow outs, but it may only be time until someone gets hurt. Good luck, Roger, please keep us posted

nhunter

I give up. I looked all over those tires and all I found was 123/126Q in the load specs oval.

Forrest Fetherolf

nhunter,

If you found the DOT with "1NOR" there should be 4 numbers immediatly following in the same oval. Check both sides of the tires for the DOT code. Mine was 1NOR 2105. Maybe those China Guys forgot their date stamp as well as the glue.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
The fake CB may be worse than the real CB. Are you still going to keep them? I am dealing on either a new Landmark or a new 3600 BH, and my new GoodYears will go on either unit. Two blow ups five days apart is enough!:eek:

nhunter

Keep them, I have about 10,000miles on them so far with no problems but will put on Goodyears when thet are done.

jpmorgan37

I've been quiet on this matter since June 4th when one of my Trail America's blew. I had left the rally and was driving 60 mph. The temperature was cool as it had been raining. We were on the Interstate and the road was clear. I had just stopped at a rest area about an hour before and checked the air pressure in my tires. The right rear (the one that blew) had 117 psi in it. I do run the Doran Pressure Pro and check pressures each time I stop. There was no warning as to low pressure, just a loud bang. My bride was following me in her car and the entire tread came off in one piece. It did beat up the side of the coach and ripped the braces and wire flex support loose. The date code on my tires are 3205 which doesn't fall into the date codes that JCA are replacing. My coach is over a year old and out of the warranty period, but I contacted them and they covered my out of pocket expenses to buy replacement parts and four Goodyear tires. I got the check this week. I, like Forrest, will do my own repairs but found them willing to assist. I sent them pictures, receipts and all the documentation they requested. To any of you that have a problem, keep accurate records, document everything and keep all receipts. You will need it.

John

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Nhunter, I have yet to check my tires but I just priced out the Goodyears and they are 349.99 at Fountain Tire. Yikes!!! Doug

Uncle Rog

Douglynne, shop around, that price is not even close to good. A good price should be right around $200 each! Even cdn that is high, take a little trip after you find the right price, it would be worth it.....

ct0218

The local Goodyear dealer quoted me $1176 out-the-door, which is too high for 4. List on that tire is either $349 or $369.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have Goodyear G614RST on our Landmark, but the spare is a TrailAmerica. Checked with my local dealer today and he can get one to replace the spare for $238.00 plus tax.

nhunter

Well Doug that is the good thing about living in the great white north, eh. Although our dollar has caught up the US$ we are still paying the same differential as though it were $0.70/ $1. Price out a trailer, motorcycle or truck in the states and it will make you cry. I just got new tires for my pickup and the dealer in Medicine Hat gave me the 4 for 3 price and the sale doesn't start until next month. Might want to wait it out if you can.
Might also be a good time to visit Great Falls if you know what I mean.

Cooper

I paid $236.00 @ Discount Tire and I had a friend pay $180.00 out the door. So if you do the research by phone or on the web you can find a lot better price.
When sending Shawn your info do not forget to send him a picture of your weight tag it,s in a cabnet in your rv.

slaytop

Rather than take the risk to have my trailer beat up by TA tires I just purchased 5 Goodyear 614RST tires. They cost me $227.00 each (including mounting) plus tax at a local Goodyear dealer. They came down in price from $247 to match a local discount dealer. The new tires are slightly smaller in diameter. I will try to sell the TA tires.

ct0218

That size is about standard for most HD utility and equipment trailers. I would advertise them in a local advertiser or printed media that would have farmers and contractors as readers. Both of my goosenecks use that size and load range, and that is exactly what my TA's are going to be used for. Even if I have a catastrophic blowout there is really nothing that can get damaged other than some paint on the frame or stringers. Personally, I would not sell them to anyone with an RV, etc., because of the damage potential.

slaytop

ct0218,
Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't want an RV owner to experience the same uncertainty with these tires. We have a local minimerchant paper that prints ads of many categories including tires.

Cooper

Slaptop do not sell the TA tires . Look at the dates on the tire and call Shawn @ JCA Corp and see if they are defective you may get some money back from the tires. If the tires have the correct dates on them. There are more date that are defective than the ones shown on the forum.

Shawn 1-800-921-8473.

slaytop

Since putting 19.5" wheels on my TV, the original spare was quite a bit smaller in diameter than the new tires. The Trail America tires are much closer to the diameter of the new tires. I decided to purchase a used 16" wheel for the TV and mounted the unused TA spare. I will use it as my TV spare while I have the 19.5" set installed. I figure it will work for the short time it is needed as a spare in an emergency.