Ford or Chevy

I need to buy a tow vehicle to I can afford a 2008 or 9 with around 100'ooo miles I can purchase at an auction. I was stuck on the duramax Allison. However I drove a power stroke and liked the ride a little better. I will be towing a 39 ft. Mesa I am planning on a dullie. My first go round with a fifth wheel I would appericeate feedback.

jimtoo

Hi debbie1952,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure as long as you go with a dually you will be fine. I personally go for the GM line. I'm sure you will get more suggestions from our other members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Sumo

Duramax, all the way. FYI, I am a Chevy guy.
A Ford guy will tell you something different.

scottyb

I owned Ford diesels for 25 years, going back to the 6.9L. I put 700K between 3 different 7.3L, the 1st being asperated, the last 2 being turbos. My wife drove a F-250 7.3 and an Excursion 7.3 for a combined 190K. Never had a major component failure with any of them and all of them were sold to people or businesses we knew and were in service for many more miles.

In 2007, I needed a new truck. Ford was in a lawsuit with International, based on warranty claims for the infamous 6.0L. They had started building the 2008's with the 6.4 TT, but they couldn't get the engines due to the lawsuit. Any dealer who had some on their lot was not willing to make any deals on them and they were going for almost MSRP. At that time GM, had just had a facelift and they were dealing hard. I ended up with my current C3500 D/A. It now has 170K and has been flawless, minus a 4wd transfer case that was replaced under warranty. I am extremely impressed with the Allison tranny.

My point in all this is, i was a die hard Ford person and had no reason to switch, until the 6.0 L created the circumstances. Now, i have no reason to switch back from the D/A, other than the fact that, deep down, I am still a Ford person. I just feel that their engine/tranny is not yet proven like the D/A. I recently purchased a F-550 for our company, and the jury is still out. It is replacing a 2002 F-450 7.3L that had 302,000 miles towing a 30' gooseneck.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Stock for stock they are both great pickups. I myself will be looking for a dually soon. More then likely I will be buying a GM. Only reason I would choose GM over a Ford is because GM is still using the same engine. I would go with a Ford 2011 but I dont want to spend 45+ on another pickup. I really don't want to buy a pickup with a engine that is not in production, such as the 6.4. My current Dodge is paid off and after I switch pickups I want the title in my hand. I have nothing against Dodge I just want to drive something different. My current Dodge has not given me a single issue, it has been a great ride/work horse.

Ford had issues with the 6.0. But those issues were fixable and you would have a very reliable pickup. They dropped the 6.4 only due to leaving Navistar. At the moment I am not convinced on the Scorpion 6.7. I know they had issues with the CP4 Injection pump but that was due to the fact that that pump was built for the diesel used in Europe and not the States. I am not sure they have corrected that. After 2013/2014 roll threw I would think all of the small plaguing issues should have been worked through.

As for now I am leaning towards the GM, I will still look at the Fords as I need to rule them out with more seat time and Forum reading.

DMitch

I can only pass along my own experience not a comparison. I owned a 2008 Chev 3500 DM and loved the truck. I originally pulled a 37' Mobil Suite with it and then traded for a 2010 3580 Big Horn. They both were very heavy and the truck pulled with ease. I never had one bit of trouble with the truck and it was a pleasure to drive. Plenty of power and that Allison transmission is very hard to beat. If I ever had a complaint about the truck it would have been that it could have had bigger brakes. Mileage around town 14-15, towing 10 and on the highway not towing 16-17. My only comment to you would be and I have always felt this way, if you have to chip the truck your not driving the right truck for what you want to do. Good luck finding what you will like and what will work for you.

dave10a

I would buy a Chevy before 2011 and a Ford after 2011. I would consult Consumers guides for more details. Ford finally got its act together 2011 with their new Diesel and transmissions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another vote (very biased, I must add) for the Chevy or GMC 3500 line. All I've done to mine is replace the 34 gallon fuel tank with a 56 gallon one and add Timbrens to the rear.

Bksvo

I have a 2008 F-350 and love it. I have 120k miles on it now - had to replace a radiator at 86k miles.

We can all debate whose is bigger / better, but I think they both have near equal engine/trans. If you need a crew cab, Ford will win hands down. I didn't even consider the Chevy after looking at one - the rear seats have very little leg room. I have 3 kiddos back there, and needed the room.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm a Chevy guy but if I were in the market for a NEW truck, I'd consider the new Dodge Crew 3500. That said, if I were looking for used in the 08 range, Duramax would be my choice. Proven D/A combo. Nuff said...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2008 F-350 and love it. I have 120k miles on it now - had to replace a radiator at 86k miles.

We can all debate whose is bigger / better, but I think they both have near equal engine/trans. If you need a crew cab, Ford will win hands down. I didn't even consider the Chevy after looking at one - the rear seats have very little leg room. I have 3 kiddos back there, and needed the room.

I agree with the seating room issue, GM Changed the rear seat in 08. Different fold and less room for passengers. Prior to 08 lots of room and flat floor storage.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
One thing to also consider is the undercoating of these pickups. For the northern guys or those that travel in the harsh winter environments the GM's do have a pretty nice undercoating.

Something of a hidden treasure for the D-Max guys is the the Turbo Brake that you can buy from Fleece. It uses the VNT like the the Cummins VGT to give you a Exhaust Brake. Or like the LBZ come with. Far I know you can add this to any D-Max prior to the LBZ to have a Exhaust brake. More or less a plug and play item.

http://www.fleeceperformance.com/catalog/c65dd396-df6b-464e-ac5a-4e7d021c6afc.aspx

scottyb

The thing that I missed the most going from a Ford to a Chevy, was storage. All my stuff went from one Ford to the next, for years. Then when I got the Chevy, no storage compartments. I still have to use a Rubbermade container in the back floor board to store all the things that used to fit into pockets in the doors and behind the seats. Looks like they could come up with some floor board storage compartments like Dodge.

bighorn3370

I would say Ford, but the best advice I can give you is that they both make good trucks that will pull the fifth wheel. Since you are buying at an auction, I would look at all the trucks up for auction and find the best ones to bid on, whether Ford or Chevy. Ernie

lwmcguir

You will be able to buy a GM much cheaper. Get one with as few miles as you can. If money wasn't an issue then a 6.7 F350/F450.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I'm going to chime in here - I'm for Chevy - I have a 2005 K2500HD with 195000 and it sill tows and runs great. I had some issues in the first 30K miles with the fuel rail but they were covered by the dealer... Since then No problems at all! treat the truck well and it will run forever!

I've never had a ford - but I rode in a 2012 and liked the ride as much as my Chevy! FWIW.

Kevin

Wmnmy

I would buy a Chevy before 2011 and a Ford after 2011. I would consult Consumers guides for more details. Ford finally got its act together 2011 with their new Diesel and transmissions.
I agree with you on this one that's why I waited.

caissiel

If you buy a truck in autions, be ready to spend some money on regular repairs, and budget for it in the bidding price. I bought a 2 year old diesel for 20K and never regreted it, compared to buying a GM or Ram. The pre PDF models would be best purchases.