Black Tank Washer Breaker Valve

wdk450

Gang:
My black tank washer seems to be plugged up. I worked on it in early June after the atmsopheric check valve blew apart under high water pressure. Since I was on the road, and didn't want another plastic valve that would blow up again, I installed what the local Ace hardware had that was fitted for 1/2" PEX - a regular brass check valve.
I was shopping at my local independent RV parts tore today, and looked at add-on black tank washers looking for the atmospheric valve. What I noticed was that NONE of the 3 systems I looked at had a breaker valve (and no visible check valves). It has been posted here that it is a plumbing code spec that these atmospheric valves be here and be located at a highth above the highest black drain. I suspect my inop washer is due to the check valve being jammed. So the questions are:
1. Am I supposed to be using what they call an "atmospheric check valve", and where do I get a GOOD one with 1/2" PEX connections?
2. If the aftermarket kits don't have this check valve, why not? Is this really legally required?

Here's a link to one of the aftermarket rinsers: http://tweetys.com/tornadorotarytankrinserwithhose.aspx

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Mine broke an caused water to go into the area behind the toilet. I tried to get it out without opening up the wall. No luck. I cut the Pex to and from the valve and put a brass coupler in line and it works great with no problems.

BC

wdk450

Gang:
I did some more internet research on trying to find info on the original installed system and came up with this link from another RV forum: http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/TankFlusherInstructions2.pdf .

I noted 2 critical items in the flusher instructions - 1) No maximum water pressure to be applied is stated in the literature leaving them open for claims. 2) If you read line number 7, it would seem that Heartland might be at fault in where they installed this device directly above the 12 volt convertor device ($230) in my coach, and those built about pre-2010. I am not sure what conditions would cause the discharge of fresh water from the valve's atmospheric vent, but this line in the instructions seems to indicate this may be a not an abnormal occurance. Maybe this explains some of the mysterious accumulations of water in the storage compartment people have reported.

ChopperBill

I keep an eye open for leaks from mine. Any sign of a leak and that thing is coming out. Its right behind the shower service port. Probably should just eliminate it anyway.

Tumblebug

Here is a Wiki on the valve.
//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Black_Tank_Flusher
It lists the manufacturer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, on your original post with the link to tweety's, that tank rinser has a back flow preventer built in. I had installed one of those on a previous trailer we owned and it seemed to do a good job. Never looked inside:rolleyes:.

dlemair

Another note about the black water tank rinser system and leaks. On my 2013 Torque 321 I found the system was not working correctly due to a kinked line in the pex line between the atmospheric valve and the rinse head in the tank. I corrected the line issue and tried the system again and was disappointed with the leakage of water out of the atmospheric valve directly over all the electronics. I will be re-routing the system piping without the leaky atmospheric valve. I can install a check valve and vacuum breaker in a more suitable location than over electrical controls.

I too have to replace the atmospheric vacuum breaker/check valve on my '08 Sundance 2900RK. I called B&B Molders, the manufacturer and they are sending me one at no charge! My only other issue is where to find the valve. Any ideas where the valve can be accessed on my rig-its a 29 ft. rear kitchen model. many thanks!!

Scott
Redding, Ca.

wdk450

Scott:
You should be able to find the valve if you open up the storage compartment, remove the divider walls to get behind the UDC, and trace the tube from the UDC panel. The valve in my 2008 Bighorn was up in a wall between the toilet and the hallway (steps). Instead of tearing up the wall in the bathroom, I crawled under the bathroom in the utility compartment with a large drill and a keyhole saw, drilling and sawing upwards next to the flusher tubing to enlarge the hole enough to get the valve out. You can just pull down on the PEX tubing to get it out, then shove the repaired tubing line back up into place.
I had nerve spasms from a cricked neck for two days from doing this job.

Jim,

Will do that today. Was trying to locate build sheet diagrams of trailers that show location of parts like this but no luck. Thanks for the tip!

Scott

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ours is in the wall behind the toilet. I can access it by removing the fire extingisher mounting assembly.