Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help entry door window is shrinking!!

1. Print this Post   #1
    BouseBill

Help entry door window is shrinking!!

Well maybe not shrinking, but it is disappearing down into the door frame There is now a 1" open space at the top as you can see from the pics. We just got home last week from the servicing dealership up in Vegas and I don't want to drive back up now.

Anyone have this situation happen before?
    Before I take all the screws out I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any ideas as to what is behind the 2" rubber molding on the inside of the door? and just what the fix would be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Help entry door window is shrinking!!

The glass is sandwiched between the outer and inner frames. There are small pegs that position the glass in location. It looks like the bottom ones may have failed somehow. If out of warranty, you can order a new frame or possibly find at a RV parts store, by itself. Be careful loosening the screws as the glass may slide more and fall.

What we discovered is that it's easier to install the window if the glass is siliconed in place before trying to put it in the door. You can silicone the glass to the outside frame lying flat, wait till it dries, then install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

3. Print this Post   #3
    BouseBill

Re: Help entry door window is shrinking!!

Tony, If I understand you correctly the glass is installed in a frame, which is then installed in the door?
    The rig is still under warranty but we live 200 miles from where we purchased it. I think I'll call Heartland on Monday as see what the repair will involve. I'd rather do it myself than drive 400 miles roundtrip.

4. Print this Post   #4
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

The glass frame is an easy fix. Just make sure that you have someone to hold the glass when you remove the inside frame. In saying that.....you remove the inside frame 1st....remove the glass and then the outside. When reinstalling the outside frame....the glass is glued to the frame with silicone and dry 1st as Tony stated. If you talk nice HL service they just might mail you one. BTW, before you install either frame....paint them with white Krylone paint....will never turn yellow again.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

5. Print this Post   #5

It's a pretty simple thing to remove the frame and glass and replace the glass, but if the pegs holding it into the frame have failed, Heartland should send you a new frame. I replaced my glass with a clear safety glass which we love.

New Door Glass.jpg
    Terry & June

Rallys/Campouts
    2013: Williston, FL: Montgomery, TX: Elephant Butte, NM: Colorado Springs, CO: Chatham, IL
    2014: Rifle, CO: Huachuca City, AZ
    2015: Quartzite, AZ: Moab, UT: Heber City, UT: Central City, CO: Camp Verde, AZ
    2016: Tucson, AZ

6. Print this Post   #6
    BouseBill

Thanks Folks, I'll call Heartland on Monday. MTPockets I like that idea of replacing the glass with something a little more individualistic (?)

7. Print this Post   #7

This happened on my previous (SOB) trailer and I put a couple of little wood blocks in to support the glass. Worked fine for 5 years that I know of--that is when I traded it in on my 21 fbs.

2011 NT 21 FBS
    2003 Chev Suburban 2500 LT
    Vortek 6000
    4 x 4
    3:73 rear end

8. Print this Post   #8

A suggestion. Don't call Heartland immediately. Take and remove the inside frame and glass. Have someone on the outside hold the frame and glass so they won't fall outside.

I replaced mine and it is easy. Once you have it apart you can inspect it and inform Heartland about the problem you find. It may be a simple fix and no need to contact Heartland.

IMG_0692M2.jpg

I would also paint the frame while you have it out. If you don't it will yellow from the sun and you will have to work on it again.

FWIW
    BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

9. Print this Post   #9

If the little supports on the "bottom" of the frame are broken,,, I think you could just turn it over and make the "top" the "bottom" till you get a new frame.

Jim M
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    Disc Brakes
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information

10. Print this Post   #10
    BouseBill

Jim M. Excellent suggestion, sure looks like that will work for the interim. The boss and I dismantled the window this morning and found the hard plastic has melted on the bottom due to the weight of the glass resting on the plastic supports. Being BLACK plastic and the heat in Nevada and Arizona didn't help much. The frame is now permanently molded to the shape it's in.
    Hopefully Heartland will step up and replace the plastic frame, which I will immediately paint white.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and support.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast