corner molding coming loose

I have a 2011 RW305 toy hauler. I recently purchased used, so no warranty. I have found the outside wall L molding was loose under the front bedroom outside wall bottom toward the front of the trailer. The caulk bead was broken and when i push it will move up about 1/8'', so i pulled the plastic out of the center and tried to tighten the screws but they were broken. So I am assuming that I should drill and add extra longer screws, then reseal with another bead of caulk. I do not see any stress on the outside skin side or underneath. This unit though was pulled from CA to MI so it has had some miles put on it.

I am thinking for a trailer only two years old this should not be happening, or is this a signal of some other problem? I don't see any water damage but did not want to pull the molding off either. I pulled my older 5th wheel molding off, it was a 2000 Cherokee LT and had to rebuild the corner as the wood frame had rotted but wanted to find out if anyone has seen the molding loose and screws broken on their Heartland units this new and if there is anything I should be watching for as I drill and re-attach the molding.
Thanks,
Leigh

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can you take some pics and post? Was the Rig pulled with a gooseneck adapter?

HL looked at our rig this summer at the Gillette rally, and mentioned the wrong screws may have been used. The replaced with longer ones in various spots along that area.
I can't say yet if the issue is "fixed".

You might contact HL customer service with the VIN and explain the situation, to see if they think it's an issue, and what they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pull with the standard fifth wheel hitch. I have a Reese 16K slider. As it was a used unit I can't say if it was ever pulled with a goose neck or not. I don't know over what road either.
I can post some photos tomorrow as i am at work today, although I don't think a photo will show much. It is a very small amount of sag, just enough to break the bead of caulk. I removed a screw and the break is about at about 1/4" of the thread with/ head that came out.
Thanks,
Leigh

danemayer

if there is anything I should be watching for as I drill and re-attach the molding.
I'm wondering if this might happen if the previous owner didn't hitch up properly allowing the trailer to fall off the hitch and land on the bed rails. If this happened, maybe there'd be indications on the underside above the truck's bed rails.

I got a response from Heartland factory person already. He said what I had thought, re-drill & put in longer screws. He asked if a goose neck had been used and I told him I did not know the history on this as it is a used trailer.
Thanks,
Leigh

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Leigh, when you install the new screws. Make sure you seal the trim piece with a good caulking. Otherwise you could get water intrusion at that point. The frame pinbox area does have some flexing when hooked up and driving. So that is one area that needs to watched for needing to be re-caulked.