A/C duct work!!

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
I am having air flow problems with the air conditioning in my 3400RL, which I understand is not unusual. I noticed that I have more airflow coming from the outlet at the end in the bedroom then what comes out closer to the a/c unit. This probably shouldn't be unless the duct work is kind of strange. Can someone send me a drawing of how the duct work is supposed to be? :confused:

fhollan

I also had a problem with A/C flow. What I found yesterday, after removing the filter and cover, I noticed that a big portion of the foil duck tape was missing, losing airflow going in between the ceiling and roof, keeping the insulation cool. I closed that off, and checked all of the vents. After removing them, they also had openings in the foil duck tape and they were sealed off. That made quite a difference in the airflow. So you might want to check that. Later this week it's back up in the 90's. I made a hard copy of "timk's" method for future reference. For right now, it's doing fine!

timk

Looking up or down on the rig, its in the shape of the letter H, with the ac unit sitting on the cross bar of the letter H. The leg that runs over the toilet room is shorter than the rest, so it usually works the best.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Is this how it looks???

:) Is this how it looks? Please excuse the drawing. I am not good drawing with a mouse.

duct.gif

Can't seem to get the picture to work on the page. Here is the link;
http://bobsmart.com/drawings.html

If this is it, I could direct all the flow to the drivers side and open up the vents and maybe achieve success!!

jbeletti

Close but the legs are not connected at the end like you have on the rear of the coach in your drawing.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The "H" pattern Timk is talking about is pretty simple. There is a duct running along each side of the A/C. The off doorside duct runs from the rear up to the Bedroom and the doorside duct runs from the rear to the stool room. The key thing is to smooth out the airflow from the A/C into the ducts and help direct the airflow by adding a "Tent in the vent". You have to remove the A/C Plastic housing inside the coach to access the vent area. The idea is to add a tent shaped diverter under the fan to deflect the airflow into the vents. Most use a piece of sheet metal shaped like a tent and use foil tape to hold it in place. Foil tape can also be used at the last vent in each duct run to direct the air flow down into the room instead of having it go past the vent to a dead end duct. There are pictures posted in the link that chopper sent you but you'll have to read thru the posts in that link to find them. I hope this clears things up a bit for you.

timk

If you pop off a vent cover, and grab a mirror and a flashlight you can take a peek down the duct to see whats up.