Big Country Bedroom A/C vibrating/noisy and Livingroom A/C very little output

rhiwink

If we had been able to try the A/C in the trailer before we purchased, we would NOT have bought it. Any advice---? We have a brand new 2013 3596 Big Country that was bought one month ago, we have been able to camp once and the experience was terrible compared to our old travel trailer. We were told by the technician that did the walk through that all the A/Cs are that way and we would get used to it! A/C in the living room is ducted but very little air comes out of the vents anywhere in the trailer. Also, A/C in the bedroom vibrates terribly and is very noisy to the point of keeping us awake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob & Rose Heiwinkel

Last edited by a moderator:

bacaye

Re: BigCountry Bedroom A/C vibrating/noisy and Livingroom A/C very little output

We have the two airs but had the second one installed after purchase because we thought we needed it. It is noisy too so we run it during the day and turn it off at night. We have a 2011 Big Country. We are looking again but we want to make sure we get one that has both of them quiet. I know we listen to one that we could barely hear it running but after looking at so many I have forgotten which one. I am afraid you will continue to get the noise because it is so close to you head. Not as much height in the bedroom ceiling so you hear it more. If it is extremely hot out and we need it...I will take the noise...I have no problem with it but Bill does. This is the second Big Country we added the second air conditioner to and we had noise in the 2010 too. Good luck..Barb

donr827

Re: BigCountry Bedroom A/C vibrating/noisy and Livingroom A/C very little output

We have owned 4 different fifth wheel trailers with the second bedroom a/c. All of the bedroom a/c were noisy. In hot weather we use both a/c during the day but do not need to run it at night. The living room a/c keeps the whole trailer cool during the night. When we closed on our trailer the living room a/c vibrated quite a bit. Dometic sent a kit with softer grommets for the compressor. That cured the vibration. I have since learned that Dometic admits to installing the wrong rubber grommets on some a/c.
Don

rvn4fun

I agree with all the above. I do wonder some times if our old 34 foot 5th wheel was so much better insulated, or the single air conditioner, was so much better or..... is it just that the BIG country is just so big inside that it is very hard to cool or heat in extreme weather conditions. We have had 4 5th wheels now and this is the first with 2 air conditioners. It should be mandatory on this unit as one would not cool it, in 1oo degree weather.

Brandon.Prewitt

Excessive vibrations is probably the gromets as previously mentioned. My AC's are loud but think it's normal without excessive vibration. The living room air didn't seem to cool well so when my RV service guy came, drove 80 miles one way, he blocked off the ducting above the kitchen. There is no air in the bathroom or bedroom vents now. Living room and kitchen stay much cooler, but we run the bedroom AC most of the time. Running both AC's before the living room was hot. Not anymore. We also installed foil bubblewrap things in all the windows. Made a huge difference.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Since the 2nd A/C is not ducted thru the system, it will alway be a little bit noiser than the main unit. We like it that way cuz it helps block out the outside neighbors chit-chat late night.

SilverRhino

I agree with all the above. I do wonder some times if our old 34 foot 5th wheel was so much better insulated, or the single air conditioner, was so much better or..... is it just that the BIG country is just so big inside that it is very hard to cool or heat in extreme weather conditions. We have had 4 5th wheels now and this is the first with 2 air conditioners. It should be mandatory on this unit as one would not cool it, in 1oo degree weather.

I have wondered the same thing! Our experiences are just like you described!

rick_debbie_gallant

BigCountry Bedroom A/C vibrating/noisy and Livingroom A/C very little output

Very happy with the Carrier air conditioner in our rig. Not overly noisy, and cools well. Don't know why Heartland does not use the Carrier brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Very happy with the Carrier air conditioner in our rig. Not overly noisy, and cools well. Don't know why Heartland does not use the Carrier brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick I think Carrier quit building RV AC units a couple of years ago. They are a good unit.

MCTalley

Same here - 2013 BC with dual air. We use both to cool down the unit, then turn off the front unit and let the rear unit keep the coach cool. Haven't had it long enough to comment on 100+ degree weather, but I agree I couldn't sleep with the front unit as noisy as it is, and I sleep through bad storms and other noisy events.

Glad to hear, in a way, that it wasn't just our unit. Dealer told us they are all noisy like that.

LarryLK

The front AC unit will be noisy, but shouldn't vibrate much. I would check and make sure the "mud daubers" haven't built nests on your fan blades. Happens to mine all the time here in TX - could happen on the dealer's lot. If it is vibrating excessively it can destroy the AC unit. Don't ask how I know.......

Westwind

MCT - dealer is right they are all noisy unless they are duct vented, that seems to help a little, I don't think any BC or BH's have duct vented bedroom AC's, maybe Landmark /does. It's the nature of the beast from what I read. But, I would rather have the 2nd AC then be stuck with no AC if the main AC stopped working, plus I like running the bedroom AC when we are watching TV at night. When we go to bed we switch them over and it seems to work well.

lawser

As far as the air flow from the living room A/C
Check out my post and the pictures
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32278-A-C-not-cooling-unit
Maybe you have a similar problem with the ducts letting the cooled air escape
I would recomend having your ductwork scoped to see if this is the problem