Anyone using Wind Power?

JRBEN

I see all kinds of threads on adding solar power. Has anyone tried Wind power? I found a couple of threads doing a google search and was just currious if any Heartland owners had given it a try. From what I have read it doesn't appear to be that much more expensive than setting up a solar system, and the benefit would be 24hr power generation as long as there is a 4mph or greater wind blowing.

olcoon

Sounds like Wyoming would be great for that. When we were in Gillette, the wind was rocking the 5er so bad, I almost thought I was on board ship in the Navy!!!

olcoon

Didn't see the anvil, maybe I'd had too much Single Barrel, & Fireball!!! Saw the Single Barrel @ Sam's Club for $38.00 the other day.

ParkIt

I see all kinds of threads on adding solar power. Has anyone tried Wind power? I found a couple of threads doing a google search and was just currious if any Heartland owners had given it a try. From what I have read it doesn't appear to be that much more expensive than setting up a solar system, and the benefit would be 24hr power generation as long as there is a 4mph or greater wind blowing.
DH is checking right now, he's getting his degree in energy management. Though a turbine couldn't be used when moving because the drag would work against any power you would capture. If you are in an area when the wind picks up around sunset you could use both solar and wind as long as wind doesn't go too high or too low (not enough generation/too much causing vibration) so you'd want to look for something about the size and portability of a tripod satellite dish to stow while moving. We are looking into putting 2 deep cells in the front stow running it to the converter (the same set up that worked great on my RV) and running the solar and wind to keep them charged on a trickle since you wouldn't get much more than that with such a small footprint.
A good article he found is here http://www.windynation.com/articles/rv/solar-and-wind-power-rvs its right along with what we want to do with our HL.

Hope that helps, it will be this summer before we can afford to get ours set up using solar & wind but it would really cut down on paying an electric bill more CG's are starting to make a separate charge.

evolvingpowercat

Most wind power systems with decent output (1000 Watts or more) are:
- pretty high up in the air (20 feet or more),
- the length of the mast sections tends to be related to what can be semi shipped (10 foot or more), and may be long for storing for travel in a RV situation
- free standing mast sections that don't need guy wires tend to be pretty heavy and bulky (multi-piece triangular designs) and normally are set on a fairly heavy concrete pad for stability.
- many farmers complain that the noise of the wind power system blades is bothersome, given how noise transmits more into RVs than homes this might be another concern.

Now if your RV stays parked on one spot on land you own for most of the year, and you don't have electrical service or the cost to connect electric service to your land is in the thousands of dollars, then this might make sense.

centerline

solar vs wind... its a no brainer for me.

I have friends who live on the rim of Lake Billy Chinook (no grid power within MILES) and when they bought the place several years ago, all the neighbors who had been there for years all had/have wind turbines for power... after using a generator a couple years they decided to install a solar array .... they hired it done by a solar contractor, (its now been nearly15yrs ago) and they have been providing power for themselves and 2 other properties that are only occupied intermittently..... while the people with wind turbine as their only source, are still having to closely manage their power usage.... and the NOISE of wind turbines is irritating in a quiet setting, which I prefer to be QUIET....
(a lot of the people in the community have since converted to solar, some keeping the turbine, and others getting rid of it, which other neighbors take the used turbine equipment to increase the production of power, along side their existing turbine... )

this installation is where I got my introduction to solar power, and I can securely say that solar will always out perform wind power for the cost and longevity of the systems, unless one is in a location where the sun doesnt shine much.... wind turbine technology is at its peak, but I dont believe the technology of collecting and storing energy from the sun, is....

I have a place in arizona, east of kingman, that starting about now, thru to july or august, the wind blows HARD almost every afternoon for about 5-6 hours, but the sun shines for almost 10-11 hours during this time, so again, solar is going to be the most effective....

having BOTH could be useful in a lot of locations, but the noise isnt worth it to me, when a couple more "silent" panels could be added cheaper and easier....

the ONLY advantage of a wind turbine is that it can produce power well into the night, providing the wind continues to blow.... but this isnt very common or reliable in most places... the main disadvantages are, given that the wind DOES blow enough to operate it effectively, is the noise produced and the "absolutely necessary" required, timely maintenance, which will save the bearings and thrust bushings, that WILL fail if not kept lubricated...

Last edited: