Be on the lookout for this stolen BigHorn

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
WOW! Doesn't look like the typical methhead's truck...that's new and well maintained...maybe someone with hunting property??? What a shame....

wdk450

A couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night someone in an SUV crashed through the gates at Pan Pacific RV in Stockton, Ca., hitched up, and stole a travel trailer. About 40 minutes later the same vehicle came back and got another one.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Wonder how they were going to title the BH or for that matter the tt's. WOW!!!!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
They won't...they'll stick on a lot or a ranch somewhere, and it will never move again...

caissiel

A local dealer one weekend had a bunch of trailer stolen by the same truck, they had a hiding place not to far and kept returning. The process was all recorded on video tape and the thives were charged but the units were never found. They had also broken in a second location.

wdk450

I have heard that some of the bad guys take the trailers out in the boonies and use them for meth labs. Another reason for all of us to use hitch locks. Maybe some of these affected dealers will break down, get hitch locks for all their units, and include them as a "free" goodie with the sale.

GOTTOYS

I have heard that some of the bad guys take the trailers out in the boonies and use them for meth labs. Another reason for all of us to use hitch locks. Maybe some of these affected dealers will break down, get hitch locks for all their units, and include them as a "free" goodie with the sale.
Maybe..but in reality armed with a cordless 4" grinder and a cut-off wheel that lock would be history in about 45 seconds...I use one on mine when in a storage lot but I don't really expect it to stop anyone...At least they would have to work for 45 seconds to get it..Don

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I have heard that the FEMA trailers used after Katrina that were stolen from storage lots after they were returned, are now in the "woods" somewhere in Mississippi being used as hunting camps. I guess the thieves don't care about the formaldehyde issues that were weighed out in our judicial system as of late. I think the evacuees are going to get about $600 each for damages. Crazy world we live in.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I have heard that the FEMA trailers used after Katrina that were stolen from storage lots after they were returned, are now in the "woods" somewhere in Mississippi being used as hunting camps. I guess the thieves don't care about the formaldehyde issues that were weighed out in our judicial system as of late. I think the evacuees are going to get about $600 each for damages. Crazy world we live in.

More like $4,500 each.

rnewk52

As they say; "The Rest Of the Story" on the stolen Bighorn is: the unit was prepped for delivery and the new owners came in the morning after the theft to take delivery of their "retirement dream" . When the dealers personnel went to retrieve the unit fron the storage lot, that is when the dealer actually noticed the unit missing...and then looked at the surveilance tapes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are a number of stolen RVs on deer leases in the back woods of this country. And yes, the latest thing is to use the stolen RVs for Meth labs. That way they can be quickly abandoned and if they 'blow up' they have not lost that much. There really needs to be more training for LE Officers on how to identify them. I found one one time and with the help of a Trained State Trooper Auto Theft detective was able to find a hidden VIN as all others had been removed and grounded off. The one I found had been stolen for 5 years and was deep in the woods in a deer lease. A disgrundled hunter reported it to us. There were 3 stolen travel trailers in that deer lease. The other thing that really needs to be done is the RV Dealers need to be more responsible for their inventories.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sad situation for sure but did anyone notice the color? Looked like partial body paint on a Bighorn. I've been away for the weekend so maybe this isn't news any longer?

wdk450

Sad to say on the meth lab issue, I read a story yesterday about an Oregon family who bought a house that was a former meth lab and had to take a complete loss on the house. Here is the link: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...family-discovers-home-meth-lab-184815233.html
I would urge everyone reading this to read the complete story, just to grasp the how widespread this danger is.

The story says that only 1 in 10 meth lab houses are busted, so these deadly chemicals soaked into the wood could be on any used house. The 1 remediation company says it phone rings with calls every 3 to 5 minutes. The company owner cites a family who lived unknowingly in such a house for 2 years and just buried their 14 year old daughter.

There is a test kit out there for $50, and you should insist on such testing as part of home inspection. Maybe even buy a test kit when buying a used RV.