30 amp mistake.

ARMORTECH

I am a new Cyclone 3800HD owner.
Learning that living in an RV is a lot different then living in an apartment.
My latest oops, was not knowing that connecting to 30 amps cut down on how many components can be running as on a 50 amp line.
It was 95 deg, I left for work and left the dog in the trailer, set both AC units to come on when the temp came on past 75. Keep the dog cool.
When I returned a few hours later, the trailer was as hot as outside, fortunately my dog walker had taken the dog for a few hours.

Problem: my GFI outlets are on continual overload. My AC only turns on if I'm running the generator. My fridge is on LP, yay. I can reset and use the outlets if the generator is on, so was able to make coffee :)

The breakers are all on. Any ideas on how to reset the system, or is my only option to call for service?

Yukon

jbeletti

Sounds like you tripped the 30 amp breaker outside at the campground power pedestal. Go out to check. Shut the breakers off, then turn them back on.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am unsure as to what you are trying to accomplish.
Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.
First, how are you overloading your GFI? What are you trying to use on those circuits?
You will never be able to run two AC units having only 30 amps. One yes, two no.
I don't think you need service, but I do think you need to know how to use what you have.
You can do that by knowing how many amps you are using. You will need to keep that use to 30 amps or less.
For example, your water heater has a big draw. If it is heating and you plug in the coffee pot or the AC turns on, you will most likely trip a breaker.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Did you reset all of the breakers on the trailer panel, as well. They may look like they're still on, but to be sure, turn them fully off then on again. Something else to help keep the pooch comfy would be to only run the main A/C and use some small oscillating desk fans to help circulate the cooled air around the rig. The fans will not draw the same current as the A/C and will be on a different circuit than the A/C.

We only have a single A/C and experienced some 90+ days at our site. Using the fans kept the two cats cool while we were gone for several hours. Kept us cool when we were with them, too.

ARMORTECH

Awesome, thanks Jbeletti, that was the problem, had the manager show me where the breaker was (it was tripped), I'm back in business.

ARMORTECH

Thanks for all the help and the extra ideas.

As for small fans, I have two I was going to donate, think ill keep them.

I've now read my manual from cover to cover, and watched a few video's on RV living. I feel much better prepared not to run so many peripherals at once.

Very happy to find this app, thanks Heartland!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Installing a surge protector that reports the current(amps) that is being used can help you manage how much power is needed and also provide surge protection among other things.

The progressive EMS50 HWC is a popular model http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
I installed the 30 amp version and quickly learned how much power each device needs and what I can run at the same time without issue.
It also has protected my NT several times from things such as a bad breaker that that was arcing in the campground box and overvoltage and overload situations numerous times.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Yukon,

Welcome to the Heartland Family and to the Forum. You will find a lot of really good information here and some very helpful Heartlanders as well. I would also suggest that you look for a heartland Rally in your area, or along your travels if on the road. Silvarado23's suggestion regarding the surge protector is a sound one - really good insurance to protect your investment.

Again Welcome!

Kevin

porthole

Retired
I am a new Cyclone 3800HD owner.
Learning that living in an RV is a lot different then living in an apartment.
My latest oops, was not knowing that connecting to 30 amps cut down on how many components can be running as on a 50 amp line.
It was 95 deg, I left for work and left the dog in the trailer, set both AC units to come on when the temp came on past 75. Keep the dog cool.

AT,
Something to keep in mind. When you are using an adapter to run your Trailer on a 30 amp line you have approximatey 3600 watts available (120 x 30 = 3600)
when connected to 50 amp service you have 12,000 watts available (120 x 50 x 2 = 12,000).

Wharton

You might want to consider going to the Escapees Boot Camp for a week. It is Rving 101 and will teach you about your systems. It is offered several times a year.