General Purpose Exterior Cleaner

drcarver

I have tried several cleaners on the exterior of my RV. I have not found a black streak remover that makes me happy. So, I mixed up my own. I use equal parts of household laundry bleach and Sinple Green concentrate in a apray bottle. It works great! The green in the liquid dissapears it just few minutes. (I buy the Simple Green at LOWE'S Home Improvement Centers)

jbeletti

Great tip Charles!

I love Simple Green too but my wife can't stand the smell. I used to use it (very diluted with water) to clean the inside of my TrailManor travel trailer (lots of aluminum surfaces plus counters, refer and bathroom).

I also mix it with liquid car washing (Turtle Wax brand) detergent and water in a blue and white tote to wash the outside of my trailer. It does "okay" on streaks that are not too bad. But even full-strength on stubborn streaks, I could not always get them out. Perhaps the bleach was the missing ingredient for me!

I buy my blue and white totes and Simple Green (gallon jug comes with a free empty spray bottle) at Sams Club.

Thanks again,

Jim

jbeletti

Cleaning the bugs off the front cap of your trailer

Hey all,

How do get those smashed on/baked on bugs off the front cap of your trailer?

After several trips, my trailer needed a good exterior cleaning. Like drcarver, I mixed up my own cleaning solution for cleaning the trailer. What a job that was.

Bit for the front cap, I was unable to get the bugs off with my regular wash mitt and a long pole brush. Taking the suggestion of others on RV.net, I tried used dryer softner sheets. They actually did work but much too much elbow grease was involved.

After using the sheets on all the decal areas, I resorted to using a spong covered with a thin plastic mesh for the rest of the front cap. Worked great. Still needed to put my elbow into it but it was easier that just the dryer sheets. Hope I didn't damage my gelcoat. That was the caution given on RV.net anyway.

So washing was last weekend. This weekend, I waxed just the front cap. I used a really old bottle of Finish 2001. Seemed to work well. My next trip will be the test I guess. My goal is to create an environment that bugs will not stick to as well as an uncoated (unwaxed) surface.

So what do you use to get those pesky bugs off the front cap?

Jim

BluegrassMan

Trailer Cleaning

For the past 2 years, I havent actually washed my trailer. So Far I haven't washed my Grand Canyon yet. I use Dry Wash N' Guard. I had a buddy that did his Class A Pusher with it ALWAYS. So I thought that I'd try it. It's not cheap, and it takes more the very first time you do it, but it shines the gel coat, takes the black streaks off with a wipe, BUG guts come off fairly easy.

This stuff is of space age origin, it leaves a coating on your surface, but CAUTION it washes off with soap and water! Just water is fine, you can use a wet cloth to clean then buff with a dry one.

Everyone says my 5ver's always look new, you can use this on rubber ,glass too ! it acts like rain-x.

Antique car guy's and street rodders use this on their cars even at dusty shows, the dirt is suspended in the wash and never scratches the surface.

Once you do the trailer it doesn't take much to spot clean areas. Cost is about $40 for the starter kit then you can buy separate refills. That's my $.02 worth.

Rick

smashed bug goop

;) Ya'll might want to try and use automatic dishwashing detergent mixed in with the bleach and soap, I have used it on my old trailer that had metal siding and it seemed to work really well. Even down here where we have real bugs to deal with, In Sept we get what is called LOVE BUGS, Talk about trashing the front of your coach!!! Anyway it has worked well in the past for me so I will try it on the front cap of the Golden Gate to see if it works on a different surface. Rick & Sandi (TIN CAN TOURISTS)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Jim
Well if you succeed in finding something that will keep the bugs off you will soon be a rich man. I have found that spraying a little Simple Green on the area and a soft brush works fairly well, if you keep the front cap waxed it makes it easier. But I believe that most bugs are of Japanese origin, because they keep committing suicide on the front of my truck and trailer.

mowmoney

Hello all,

This isn't a cleaning product but 3M makes some sort of film I guess it is, that they put on the front of most motor homes. We're having it put on the front of our Landmark sometime this week before we head out to Myrdle Beach. Once we get back I'll let you know how it did or sooner if I can find a Wi-Fi spot for my laptop.

My husband talks to an older gentleman who told him about the 3M stuff and told him that when he got where he was going he just wiped em off easy as pie.....we'll find out I guess.:rolleyes:

jbeletti

fireflipper,

I have yet to wash the bugs off the cap from my trip to Iowa last week (800 miles RT). Not sure when I'll get to it either but I am hoping it won't be as much of a chore as the first time. I'll let you know.

mowmoney,

Looking forward to more information from you on the 3M film you are getting. Would be interested in knowing what area it covered (just the cap from the roof to the sides and down to the kingpin? etc). Cost etc.

Take care all,

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Jim
I have heard about people with motor homes putting the 3M film on the front of their units. It is on the pricey side but works well for rock chips, bugs, etc. I am just returning from British Columbia and Alberta. Spent three weeks up in what I will refer to as rock throwing country. Not only did my windshield sustain several chips but the front of my fiver now needs some fiberglass work to repair chips in it. It will be another six months before I get home to get them repaired. Let me know where you locate the film, I would be very interested.

BluegrassMan

Coach Cleaning revisited

Hi Guy's n' Gal's

Me again on the same subject. I went out to the garage to ready the trailer for our trip to a Bluegrass Festival. I looked at the trailer to see how dirty it was. I CAN'T go out with a soiled unit, especially a NEW Landmark !!!! I have my pride you know!

Anyway, I rubbed my finger over the BLACK sreaks below the rain spouts down the side. The streaks came OFF with my finger :eek: !!! A damp or slightly wet towel WILL clean these areas ! Just dry with another towel, and you are DONE. I generally just SPOT clean my trailer. I first clean the front then spot clean the rest.

If you'all try Drywash N' Guard, I know you will be happy with your results!!!

NO I'M NOT A DEALER FOR THE PRODUCT BUT I SHOULD BE ! :cool:

Just my $.02 worth AGAIN ;)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Bluegrass man
I know what you mean. I am on the road, full-time. Most campgrounds will not let me wash my truck, let alone the Landmark. I purchased a set of gutter drip extensions from RV's For Less, in Knoxville. I am sure they are available at camping world, but Butch would mail you a set. They simply clip onto the gutter ends and shoot the water away from the trailer. They work, no more black streaks. I have heard of people just putting clothes pins on, but they havve to be removed while traveling.

Glenn

Princess Kathleen

For those pesky love bugs, we just let the lizard have his feast, just kidding...we use dryer sheets, spic and span liquid, a net scrubby and a little elbow grease. Do not have problems with the dark drip lines since we use a gutter extender and we are painted...
PK

ct0218

Terry
I've tried Nu Finish, one of the Turtle Wax products and one other but none seem to last very long. The last two were the top picks by Consumers Reports, I think I can send that to you if you would like.

HappyKayakers

BluegrassMan said:
Hi Guy's n' Gal's

Me again on the same subject. I went out to the garage to ready the trailer for our trip to a Bluegrass Festival. I looked at the trailer to see how dirty it was. I CAN'T go out with a soiled unit, especially a NEW Landmark !!!! I have my pride you know!

Anyway, I rubbed my finger over the BLACK sreaks below the rain spouts down the side. The streaks came OFF with my finger :eek: !!! A damp or slightly wet towel WILL clean these areas ! Just dry with another towel, and you are DONE. I generally just SPOT clean my trailer. I first clean the front then spot clean the rest.

If you'all try Drywash N' Guard, I know you will be happy with your results!!!

NO I'M NOT A DEALER FOR THE PRODUCT BUT I SHOULD BE ! :cool:

Just my $.02 worth AGAIN ;)

Hey Bluegrass,
That looks very similar to a product I'm trying out from http://www.nowet.com
I haven't read anything from either product that says not to use soap and water after initial application. I'm about 2/3 finished with the BH and it really feels like a hard shell finish. Like you I'm not a dealer or distributor but I'm considering it. This one happens to be less expensive than Dri-Wash 'N Guard. There are several other waterless alternatives out there. It would be great if an independent test agency could test them all and report the results. It gets pretty expensive trying them all on your own :)

HappyKayakers

Well, since it's cold and windy here in Amarillo, I had time to do more searching on waterless car washes. Lo and behold :eek: I did find a site that compared the leading products. Doesn't look very scientific but at least it's a start. Find it here http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33157.asp
I couldn't find a date associated with the article so don't know how old it is.

C

Chulinw

On the RV.NET a couple of the individuals but out that they get Kaiblooey from janitorl supply company and use it to get the bugs off. I use Speedball from a cleaning company and do a 50-50 mix and it works great on the love bugs in Fl when they come out in May and Oct time frame.

J

Jim_1899

Kaiblooey cleaner & should I wax?

The Kaiblooey really does clean great. I helped my brother in law close my Dad's swimming pool and he used it to clean the scum off the fiberglass sides of the pool.

I am wondering if its good to was the surface after cleaning it, and what wax to use. I wish I would had gel coat exterior its a lot smoother and shines even more than the standard surface.