PEX--connectors--stainless crimp OR copper rings??

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I have been thinking about redoing some of the plumbing in the BH 3670. I know there have been some previous post on this subject and planning to take quite a lot of the advice from them. All of the work will be completed with PEX, but wondering the pros/cons on the different type of connectors. I am asking which to use, the stainless steel crimps OR the copper rings--which is better? I know if I use the copper, I will need to buy a special tool, and wondering if I use the stainless steel, can I use "nipper pliers" or will I need to buy a tool for those too? I have looked at shark bite, but with all the forseeable connections, they will be quite heavy and they are considerably more expensive. So. looking for advice on ss crimps OR copper rings.
Appreciate any other advice on the project.
thanks
al

brianharrison

The stainless ring is more commonly refered to a "cinch" ring and as you mentioned the copper is called a "crimp" ring. I used the stainless cinch rings in my repairs - and yes you do need to buy the tool to properly install these fittings. The proper amount of cinch is controlled with the tool to get the correct tightness without crushing the insert fitting. Where possible I replaced the plastic fittings with metal.

My stainless cinch tool is a little smaller, with a ratcheting action - as compared to my copper crimp tool used in the house (it is a combo 1/2 and 3/4).

As well, where I had a leaky fitting, in a pinch I used the cinch tool to "re-cinch" the stainless until I could get around to removing and replacing with a new cinch ring.

Hope this helps.
Brian

hoefler

I have the tools for the copper rings, 1/2, 3/4, & 1". Have a Go/No-Go gauge to insure a proper crimp. I have never had one leak. I have seen a few of the SS Cinch rings leak, like in my coach, replaced them with the copper rings and never looked back.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I had to repair a leaking line in mine, the HD across the street only had the tools to do the copper crimp rings, so that's what I did. I've since added tools and items to handle the SS cinch rings, as well. Also keep a small assortment of brass replacement fittings in my "Plumbing Kit," along with short length of PEX. Never know what you might run into.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I use both and never had problems with either one. Mostly I use the stainless bands for 3/4 and up and on 1/2 when it's hard to get to.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have both - and have used both - the issue I have with the SS cinch rings is removing them it is nearly impossible to remove them without damage to the Pex Fitting. I only use Brass Fittings and want to reuse them if I ever needed to replace the Pex attached. The Copper Rings have a tool that is used to remove the Ring from fitting with out damage to the fitting. I've not found an easy way to remove the SS Cinch rings ( I have used a dremel tool with some luck ) with out damaging the underlying fitting.

So for most applications for me it is copper ...

jnbhobe

That may be better than the tool I have Dave, but you need more room to work with that tool. I like the all in one idea.