Why the heavy chairs?

dbbls59

Why does Heartland install such heavy chairs in the living room when weight is at a premium? They must be moved to retract the slides and it is a struggle to move them. They even have little knobs on the bottom of the ring to dig into the carpet. Lazy Boy makes a very comfortable recliner that weighs less that half of what these chairs from Flair do. The extra weigh is not necessary to keep them in place. I had Lazy Boy recliners in the back of my previous 5er and they did not move around. Never had to move one to extend the slide, and they were not strapped down.

If anyone want to buy some leather recliners I have two for sale because I have replace these with Lazy Boy recliners.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
$ No doubt the Lazy Boys are more expensive than the Flairs!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also took the recliners out of our coach and replaced them with Lane Euro chairs. I didn't sale the recliners cuz everytime we trade, I put them back into the coach and put the euro chairs into the next coach.

Last edited:

Crumgater

We replaced our two recliners with a wall hugger love seat. It's lightweight, fits right up against the window/wall, and can fully recline without us needing to move it.

meandg

crawgator
We replaced the sofa sleeper with a love seat wall hugger with recliners. We replaced the chairs with some Euro style. Love the new set up.

piet10

I bought a set of the plastic bottomed furniture slides you see on TV. Paid $3.99, I think Walmart carries them. My Flair chairs slide beautifully on the carpet with no effort. I also use them on my grill to push it to the back of my basement on the carpetted floor.

Al

donr827

My recliners which are swivel also, had 8 rubbers bumpers on the bottom of the round metal frame which i removed. The chairs are much easier to move around but still not a one finger job.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've found, even with the Flair frisbees under them, there is a technique to moving them relatively easily. Push or pull them at the bottom of the chair, where the foot rest is. Grasp the top and bottom of it when you do and it will move. Trying to move it by pushing on the backrest doesn't work so good. Unfortunately, it requires you to bend or get down on your knees to do it.

MTPockets

My recliners which are swivel also, had 8 rubbers bumpers on the bottom of the round metal frame which i removed. The chairs are much easier to move around but still not a one finger job.
Don

I did this to the chair bottom - electric ties hold on furniture movers from WalMart

Chair Base.jpg

DRGalligher

Hmmm. I just figure the moving and stowing is part of the setup and take down of moving our fiver, with the recliners. What worries me is making sure they are stowed tight enough to the back wall that the slides don't catch them (did on one side - ouch!). I find that grabbing them from the bottom and moving then there is the best. We don't strap them in though, never have had to. We thought of switching the couch and recliners around, but the couch won't fit in the back with the slides. That seems like the best position for the couch with the bed extended.

caissiel

Ditto, I removed the nobs and the chairs do slide much better.

Now the wife can move the chairs by herself

I will do anything to get out of working ah ah ah

Last edited:

DRGalligher

We travel with ours back to back at the rear of the coach.

Peace
Dave

That won't work in our fiver - back to back means that one of the recliner handles is out and that's what caught on my slide! I have to position ours with the handles to the back meaning they are front to back.

donr827

We travel with ours back to back also. Like DRgalligher I worried about the recliner handle sticking out a little. We strap down the recliners fairly tight and so far no movement.
Don

MTPockets

Yesterday, ordered two leather Lazyboy wall hugger recliners to replace sofa bed. (Removed air mattress and will stow if ever needed for grandkids to sleep on floor) Removed swivel recliners and replaced with fixed arm chairs that we never move...... Happier now.....

P.S..... will save a few pounds in total weight...

Last edited:

DRGalligher

We travel with ours back to back also. Like DRgalligher I worried about the recliner handle sticking out a little. We strap down the recliners fairly tight and so far no movement.
Don

Must be the reason why we have straps and connector tabs on the floor. I'l go out and do a test of it and try it on our next trip out. Thanks.

gjackson

We thought of switching the couch and recliners around, but the couch won't fit in the back with the slides. That seems like the best position for the couch with the bed extended.

We switched our sofa and recliners around so we would be facing the television. When traveling we remove the sofa legs, flip it on its back, put a strip around it and we're off. I think that's easier than moving the recliners and all that entails.

Eileen

We have a BC 3510 (2011) and the large chairs in the back are so big that we must ensure the recliner handles are positioned to the back. We 'almost' had a mishap with the handle upon opening the slide, but we have been diligent in positioning them before we close the slides. I have to agree that the chairs are so very large and bulky and extremely difficult for me to move when setting up, thus leaving an indoor 'pink job' to my husband.

We really would prefer to have the sofa on the back wall. Flipping it on it's back while moving may have merit. So would purchasing VERY expensive Lazyboy chairs to replace the sofa (to a tune of $1150 each!!) LOL

Been searching for quite sometime for an answer to this dilemma. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

VKTalley

We replaced both the couch (with another sleeper sofa) and the rocker recliners (with just recliners). I am loving them! I can move the recliners and the couch myself and when I get into the cabinet over the chairs, I don't feel like I'm going to go through the window behind them. For pictures and details on our replacement furniture, check out our blog as all the details are there. I'm horrible at posting pictures on here. ;)