Miles per gallon with your Chevy/GMC Duramax 6.6.

MMurley

Just joinedthis site today and I have a question for all you Chevy/GMC drivers outthere. I bought a new 3270RES two weeksago and this weekend took it on a 250 mile jaunt to check it out. I am pulling it with a short bed 2007 2500HD6.6, all stock. The trailers dry weightis just under 11K. It towed like adream. I haven't towed anything thisheavy with this truck before and was wondering what you 'all get for mileage. Around town I get about 17, on the road20-22. Towing the trailer I was gettingright at 8.6. Speed limit in Texas is 75where I was at so I set the cruse at 70 and it never budged off of that. Towing something that heavy and at that speedI assume that the 8.6mpg is about right. Anybody getting better? If so letme know (a possible excuse to get a new truck).

Rrloren

While I don't have a Chevy I think you will see a decent improvement if you slow it down. I run 62-64 mph and avg 12.5 - 13.5 depending on wind and terrain.

bd2dabone

I am not a tire expert but have been doing a lot of reading on tires . My first suggestion will be check the speed rating on your tires before they self destruct. Thats my two cents and will get on the back of the bus now.

danemayer

Hi MMurley,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

We have a 2011 GMC 3500 Diesel SRW that we use to pull our Landmark. Actual weight of the Landmark is 15,000 loaded. We generally get between 11 and 12 mpg towing. We generally tow at 55mph - occasionally 60.

On a side note, you might want to consider that trailer tires are generally rated for 65 mph or less. Higher speed generates increased heat that the tire may not be able to dissipate. Excess heat causes internal damage to the tire that may show up in the future as a blowout that causes lots of damage to the trailer. Overloading the trailer and/or underinflating the tires has a similar effect. Leave yourself a little margin.

mobilcastle

My 2011 Chevy dually Duramax has about 7K on the odometer. Without towing I am getting about 17MPG. Towing my BH 3670 I am getting about 11MPG. I do not drive over 65. My son tells me the MPG will get better as the truck breaks in. I am happy to get what I am since my last truck was a Ford with a V10 gas motor-it liked 8MPG no matter if it was towing or not. I will say it was a super strong pulling truck.

jnbhobe

With my Ford I get about 12 around town, on the hiway it will do 19-20, towing 15.5K at 70 I get 12-13, just in case you want to use that new truck card.

MMurley

Thanks to all so far. I will definately check on the rating of the tires and on the next trip I will kick the speed down!

sjs731

I have a 2007 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab. All stock LBZ and I get 11-12 at 65. Went from central WI to Bristol, TN and back and had 11.5 average. Mileage improves at 55 off the 4 lane naturally. I am at about 20,800 combined weight.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tombstonejim

Be advised that ST tires generally do not have a speed rating on the tire. If there is no rating on the tire it is generally considered to be 65MPH but could even be less.

I bet that thing has Towmax's on it. You might want to search here for Towmax.

MMurley

How do you like the 6.7 in the 2011 F350? Had a 2003 F350 Lariat with everything on it and I really liked it. When I moved back to Texas from Wyoming I didn't need the 4X4 any more so I got rid of it. Plus the milage was never worth a toot.

Lynn1130

16-17 around town and I averaged 24 on a long trip across country with no trailer. With the Cyclone on it averages around 9. Keep the rpms below 2000 and it will do fine. That means 60-65. I usually set it on 65 when pulling.

scottyb

2007 3500 HD with 173K. Mine has never gotten the mileage that some people report. I have logged every gallon that has gone into it and calculating the old fashioned way (miles / gallons), On rare occasions I get 16 on pure flat highway and empty. I usually get 13 - 14 in everyday driving for work. Pulling my Cyclone at or near it's 18K rating I got 8 on a 1600 mile trip @ 65 mph.

Sandpirate69

My 2008 DRW Crew Cab LB does about 16-17 on the Hwy. Loaded with the rig @ 13K 11-12 @ 65 mph. Plenty of torque. I'm also on the bandwagon of the Towmax Tires. Slow it down a bit, you probably like the way your rig looks now. You won't after a blow-out.

wildwolfproducts

10 MPG with our 40ft 16,000 lb camper when were running 70 MPH. But then again its like you have a barn blocking the winds. so slower speeds will on some get better MPG. Anything over 55 your burning cash to bust air. But then again I run the speed limit and if its 70 I for one don't hold up traffic. LOL

fast900

I have an 06 cc and pulling about the same weight I get around 9 mpg at 70mph and if I slow down to around 60-65 I can get around 11. Mine is stock except for a k&n filter and has 32k on it.