Underbelly sagging -"12 Country Ridge FK

dforquell

We have a seasonal site setup on the west side of Cayuga lake in Ovid NY. While winterizing last weekend, I noticed the underbelly was sagging quite a bit. I pushed up , and water ran out of bothe sides of the undercover. , I used a phillips screwdriver to poke a small hole in the plastic so the water could drain. There was ALOT of water under there. Once the level went down a litttle, I could hear what appeared to be dripping. I cut a small access in the underbelly, and was right under the grey tank for the bathroom. The dripping was water running down the grey tank. Further investigation revealed that the shower drain had become disconectd, and most of the floor insulation was saturated.

I contacted the factory, who assured me that the unit will be repaired under warranty. My dealer is coming to pick it up on Monday. (too bad Heartland won't reimburse the towing fee... I don't have a truck that will tow 14k.)

I'm really concerned that this leak has been going on for a while (we usually just go to camp for the weekend), and there's a significant chance for some structural damage and mold issues.

If the damage is severe, will Heartland arrange for repairs to be performed at the factory?

I'm hoping someone from Heartland responds to this post and helps to put my wife and I at ease. We have a lot of money invested in this and are really upset about it.

danemayer

Hi dforquell,

Heartland people do watch the forum, but may not see every post. Heartland occasionally fixes rigs at the factory, but I think those cases are for repairs considered beyond the capability of a local dealer. You could call the factory again to discuss, but I'd guess that they'll want to wait to see what the dealer has to say and maybe see some pictures before they can answer your question.

jbeletti

The dealer will likely remove the underbelly material, remove the saturated insulation, dry the underbelly, repair the shower drain, add new insulation and reinstall the underbelly material.

I doubt there is any wood or paper products underneath. I'd venture there is little chance of mold issues. I think you'll be in good shape when repairs are complete.

I suggest you contact your dealer to have them step you through what their process is really going to be. Only they can put your mind at ease. Maybe you can arrange to be there on the day they do your repairs so you can see and document it for your own peace of mind.

Sorry this has happened to you, best of luck and hoping all get's done to your satisfaction.

dforquell

HI Jim,

The dealer came to the campsite today and took the camper back to their shop ( after charging me a $162.00 service call). when moving the trailer, A LOT of water poured out from underneath, especially when it listed to the left side on a small hill. Before I closed the slides up, I did another inspection - this time noticing that the floor was raised around the heat run in the bathroom, and even more so in the hallway. I don't see how there can't be a mold issue, I think something has been leaking all season, and I'm really worried about structural damage, especially now that parts of the floor are compromised..... I'll keep you informed on what the dealer tells me.... It's going to take a lot to convince me that there won't be a problem with the floor/joists in the near future.

Dan

dforquell

Paid a visit to the dealer today to see the progress. Everything still preliminary. They confirmed the shower drain is broken, and may be the cause of all the water. Waiting now for authorization from Heartland to remove shower to further investigate damage. Speaking with the service manager helped to put me more at ease. He really seems to care. He listened to my concerns, and made notes about the things we experienced throught the camping season. Marty, I have a lot of faith that you're going to work for me towards getting this right! I feel as if we are working as a team on this, not against each other. I hope that Heartland is as supportive as my dealer is.......

dforquell

Update:

Camper is completed. They tell me there isn't any water damage to the subfloor or floor joists. Because the shower drain became disconnected, the majority of the water drained through the plumbing access holes in the floor, and went right to the underbelly. The dealer replaced the affected floor insulation, repaired the drain, added extra support to the shower floor, and buttoned up the underside.
I sure hope they're telling me the truth that ther won't be any mold issues in the future.

Bottom line is, Heartland did stand behind the product, and took care of the issue.

danemayer

Glad it worked out and thanks for posting on how it was resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mallard29s

How is it so far this year? We just purchased 2011 CR 40fkss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We have a similar situation but not the amout of water damage. The hole for the drain was cut off center from the pipes and flexing caused the pipe trap to crack and leak. Easier to fix myself than to tow to dealer.

dforquell

Haven't had any issues so far this year. I would suggest anyone owning one of these campers take a little time to check the shower drain. On the front of the shower pan is a small access panel with 4 screws that allows you to make a visible inspection from inside the camper. ONly takes a couple of minutes to put yourself at ease.

On another note, I see you're on Seneca!. We are on west side of Cayuga. And for the Heartland people, there are 3 park models at our campground - a 2010 FLSS Cedar Ridge, Our 2012 FKSS Country Ridge, and a spanking new FKSS Fairfield on seasonal sites....

mallard29s

Haven't had any issues so far this year. I would suggest anyone owning one of these campers take a little time to check the shower drain. On the front of the shower pan is a small access panel with 4 screws that allows you to make a visible inspection from inside the camper. ONly takes a couple of minutes to put yourself at ease.

On another note, I see you're on Seneca!. We are on west side of Cayuga. And for the Heartland people, there are 3 park models at our campground - a 2010 FLSS Cedar Ridge, Our 2012 FKSS Country Ridge, and a spanking new FKSS Fairfield on seasonal sites....

Looked at a2013 Fairfield FKSS. Was not very impressed. The 2011 has much nicer interior, a bathroom door that swings in (instead of out like the 2013s, what was Heartland thinking) and the 2013 has cheesy plastic bathroom faucets unlike the brushed nickel in the 2011. One other thing, the backsplash in the new units have wallpaper made to look like tile..... Very cheap.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2