Winterizing new 3585 with ice maker- need help

hoosblues

I just completed most of the winterizing for my 2013 BH 3585. This is the first camper that I have had with an ice maker. I read about the importance of disconnecting the water supply to the ice maker and the solenoid, but I can't find where the connections are. My fifth wheel is in a storage area with no electricity. Can anyone help with directions to winterize the ice maker?

Thanks,

John

danemayer

Hi John,

You'll need power to winterize the icemaker. The icemaker water feed line usually tees off the 1/2" pex in the basement, behind the UDC and has a cutoff valve there. However, on some models, it's been located in other places - under the kitchen sink, under the refrigerator. Could be elsewhere. The other end goes to the solenoid, located on the backside of the refrigerator.

There are winterizing instructions in the refrigerator manual that came with your RV. There's also another thread earlier today that covers this subject. Start with post #9.

wyleyrabbit

I have a 2009 BH 3005RL, so mine might be different from yours, but should be close.

Find the fridge panel on the outside of your trailer. Mine is on the off-door side of the trailer. Remove that cover. Inside there, you'll see a metal cover that needs to come off with 4 or 6 screws (I'm at home now, so can't go look). Take that off, and behind that, you'll find the solenoid (mine is blue plastic, but was wrapped in silver foil tape). You can use a crescent wrench to take off the hose, if you need to. Be careful not to crack or break anything.

I ended up with a crack in my solenoid, tried to glue and caulk it to no avail...camping world sells generic ones that work perfectly for ~$25 if memory serves.

Make sure to have your power off before you go in there.

Hope this helps.

dbbls59

The Heartland Owners Club newsletter just recently published has a good article on winterizing the ice maker. Another reason to join the club. Also, the owners manual has detailed instructions. You will need a compressor to blow out the lines and solenoid.