Dura Max On A Hook Again!!!

Uncle Rog

Howdy, had a rough start this morning.
I started up the GMC to warm up, walked away and it died.
When I turned around I noticed that the RF tire was almost flat!
I called ON Star and had a hook brought in, not happy as this the 3rd/4th time I have had to have it towed.
The last time was the reluctor, timing, gear of some sort that came loose from the crank. The engine turns over but does not even try to fire.
I am waiting to get a diagnosis, I told them to re-do the steering shaft again whille they are at it, and fix the flat!
It is a great tow vehicle but I can't believe the luck I have had!!!

Uncle Rog

The dealer called and said that one of the batteries was bad, even though it turns over just fine, any body have any ideas?

Uncle Rog

From rforman2..........

This is interesting ..........

Any interest?

BTW -- My interest became REAL when my diesel quit on me in the middle on a busy intersection. Towing to mechanic that I trust and he said that it was because one of my batteries had a bad cell and the other battery just couldn't do it any more. Me, the NON mechanic, thought that with the engine running, the alternator would provide plenty of current for the motor to keep on running. Apparently, this isn't so in our computer world with all the diagnostic checks. I didn't warn of low voltage JUST STOPPED and I almost got a hernia pushing the truck to the first place that I could pull over. Don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had the 5'er attached. On the road it should would be nice to be able to look at the GPS for the next reliable service person.

Maybe the dealer is telling me the truth.................

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Uncle Rog said:
The dealer called and said that one of the batteries was bad, even though it turns over just fine, any body have any ideas?

I read the other day about one with a cell or two bad and and that was his problem. If you park to close to a Ford or Dodge truck that can drain your batteries also, there always looking for more energy.:D ---Ken

Uncle Rog

Ken, you might have something there actually. Red_necklife has had his PS (power Sroke) F350 parked down below my grove for 10 days or so while he was in FLA. He said it had a lot of power when he fired it up the other night, highly suspect now that you mention it!!!

Country

Don't know about that dead cell deal... Sounds strange...

I can sympathize with ya on the multiple tows back to the dealer. My 05 Ford PS spent more than 1/2 the time I owned it at the dealer. Right before the 3/36 warranty ran out, I dumped it. I switched to Dodge/Cummins and haven't had to take it back to the dealer once. It sure can be frustrating to not have a reliable truck. Not trying to bash Ford or Chevy. I sure a lot of people haven't had any trouble with their's.
Just my experience.:)

ct0218

Turning over a high compression engine, warming up the glow plugs, and warming intake air pulls a lot of amps. The first 10-15 seconds that a Duramax is running there is no charging per se, it is going out faster than it can be generated. These trucks use a lot of amps, and are hard on batteries. They recommend replacing both batteries unless they are relatively new, and obviously one is bad. I got 4 years out of mine, it cranked slow just before it died, the radio would not hold stations in memory, etc., but since the changeout everything is fine.

Uncle Rog

Clark, I am replacing both batteries, it was 90 Deg this AM at 0600, pretty balmy for the plugs to warm up! I will give the o'l girl the benefit of the doubt as oem batteries are notoriously unfaithful. I hate to give up the rig, I just got it the way I like it.......

ct0218

True, the glow plugs may have been on for only a very short time today, but each time that they cycle on over the life of the battery it takes it's toll. I feel the same about my truck. It's almost 5 years old, 115K miles, but it tows and looks great and I really haven't had any problems with it. Best truck I've ever owned. It was a balmy 59 here this AM, and got up to 78 for a high!

nhunter

We, in general, are harder on our batteries than years before. We now run inverters, chargers, and all types of other electronic gadgetry that wasn't around before. Does the GM have a volt meter or just an idiot light that doesn't turn on because the battery is dead. Ford replaced theirs with a tranny. temp. gauge.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I was just curious but has anyone tried the gel filled batteries? I have not researched yet and was wondering if they last as long as the wet ones.--Ken

nhunter

On my last Ford that had a voltmeter on a winter morning the voltage would go down to 12.2v for about 1 minute and then shoot back up to 13.8-14.0v. On the PSD the glow plugs continue to run for up to 1 minute after starting which may explain why it ran for a bit and then died.

My father in law bought a gel battery for his gas Chevy. It lasted 2 years and was double the money of a standard.

Uncle Rog

Here is an update, with my dealer installed batteries the engine turns over like a striped *****ape. I used a dump trailer and a couple of guatemalan landscape engineers ( they are here, might as well give 'em some work) to pick up a bunch of free cord wood this AM. When all was said and done, I decided to go to the cerveza store, TRUCK WOULDN'T START! I was able to get it going after a few tries.....back to the dealer. I paid a small fortune for the dealer batteries. I guess that is why we use a card that the charge can be DISPUTED.........

Pretty sure it is not too cold......110+, looks like rain.....

SmokeyBare

I'd be looking into a Faulty injector pump.

With less than 800 miles on my "02", I needed the Hook.

It ended up being the Injector pump that develpoed a leak internally. Had I known it, there is a hand pump built on top which I could have used to re-build the fuel pressure in the system. My problem happened by shutting down the engine on a short road trip. Minutes later it wouldn't start.

Just a thought.....

Marv

Forrest Fetherolf

Roger,

If the engine turns over but won't start, you have a fuel problem. How many miles since the fuel filter was changed (should be 15K or less)?
A dirty filter could cause the engine to starve for fuel.

If it won't start, pump the primer on the top of the fuel filter and open bleeder valve to eliminate air in the lines; the fuel should flow out the valve when pumping the primer. If that doesn't work, the filter is plugged or the fuel pump is defective.

If the engine turns over fairly well, a "dead battery cell" would not keep the engine from starting. I doubt that the battery is the cause..........

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Thanls guys, I am leaning towards a fuel system problem also. I was able to restart after pumping the throttle a few times and then trying. The filter has less than 10k on it. I might replace it tomorrow just to see. The problem seems to be intermittent, the worst kind to diagnose, although the **** computer at the shop should peg it right down, you would think!!!!!

Forrest Fetherolf

Roger,

"Intermittent" would be fuel flow problem. I'd bet on the fuel filter. Pumping the accelerator would do nothing until the engine is running. Sounds like it is trying..............just not getting the fuel at low rpm's to keep it going. The computer would not pick that up.

Forrest

SmokeyBare

If you use the hand pump on the fuel injector pump... near the Fuel filter... pumping it several times until it gets hard to Pump.... if you have someone who can crank the engine while your doing this... This may by chance start the engine.

A Leak internally within the high pressure fuel system will signal to the Computer that there is a fuel problem... and cause the engine not to start.