Discussion about Convection Oven session during Goshen Rally

jbeletti

I would like to hear from as many of you as possible, what you want in a convection oven session. Please be specific in telling me what the ideal session looks like "to you".

When I have enough input from you, I can go about "seeing what can be done".

We've tried having a supplier come in, in the past to do something. It went over just "so-so". Some attendees were looking for:
- What is convection?
- How can it help me cook?
- Give me some basics on how to do this

Others were looking for:
- Tell me button press by button press how to do this recipe

Some wanted to know about Amana and Dometic ovens, others wanted to know about the Apollo Half-Time oven.

As you can see, there were different needs. In the short amount of time we had to do something, I'm pretty sure no one got out of it what they had hoped. So I don't want to repeat that as it serves no one.

I am wondering if the best thing to do, since we won't have sessions on different ovens and the one chosen may will not likely be yours, is to have one of our Heartland RVer gourmets do a session on using the convection feature. Just my thought is all.

So - ladies and gentlemen, please describe what you are looking for. Thanks!

Phatkd

-How a convection micro works (I have no idea, and I am sure some others don't either)
-What kinds of items can be made using the convection (IE; baking bread, pies, roasts..etc) and what kinds of settings and times to use for the various applications
- A couple of tried and true recipies with directions, ingredients and prep and cook times as a hand out to get everyone started would be a hit I'm sure as well.

If we end up being able to go to the rally I will gladly put on an impromptu "How to" with our Vitamix (Soups, and more importantly cocktails) with tastings of course :)

Kris

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
-How a convection micro works (I have no idea, and I am sure some others don't either)
-What kinds of items can be made using the convection (IE; baking bread, pies, roasts..etc) and what kinds of settings and times to use for the various applications
- A couple of tried and true recipies with directions, ingredients and prep and cook times as a hand out to get everyone started would be a hit I'm sure as well.

This is what we were hoping for.
a) what is convection cooking
b) what to watch for when cooking by convection
c) a couple of recipes with detailed instructions on "how to" so we can gain experience by doing back in our campers

Last edited by a moderator:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have a 1/2 time convection oven I can use the micro. and the 1/2 time but the convection I have never used so it would be nice to have some thing on convection..

jdfishing

I think people have to understand you'll never satisfy 100% of the needs 100% of the time, so shoot for a broad overview of how a convection works, how it is different and some real life experiences. Then throw in some recipies from the experienced Heartland folks. Since there are a number of different brand ovens out there, a step by step approach will lose a lot of people. Participants should be familiar with their own oven manual. I personally would avoid a "roundtable" atmosphere. They can get out of control very easily and usually end up with little direction or results. They serve a purpose, but don't believe this is it.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I think that I round-table might not be such a bad idea...as it seems that no one is extremely comfortable using their convection oven. I use mine all the time...and wouldn't mind sharing my successes & failures. I've done some research and went to the convection oven class offered at Lazy Days...but wouldn't call myself a pro. Although I do think that someone should 'lead' the discussion...but leave it open for anyone to 'speak'.

Unless, of course, we have someone that IS really comfortable with their convection oven that would be willing to share their knowledge.

JJnVA

Re: 2013 Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

I vote for informal attendee discussion to get me psyched up on venturing into convection microwave cooking. I think that the "round table" discussion can work very effectively with a good facilitator (and that person is not me, unfortunately). What I am looking for in this discussion is tips and a guide to the best ways to use the features of convection microwaving from the experienced cooks who have used this method for cooking meals while camping. I'm not looking for an explanation of "what is convection versus conventional cooking" nor a step-by-step instruction on what microwave buttons to push. I'm looking for tried and true recipes that work well using convection microwaving - these recipes could be entered in the Recipes section of the HOC forum - then no paper or extra cost would be involved as people could pick and chose what recipes they want to try. Thanks Jim for coordinating this session as there certainly appears to be alot of interest! I'll be there whatever format you decide on. Judi

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: 2013 Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

I think both ideas have merit!

I like the idea of a "professional" giving us the primer, what to look for, etc.

But a second session on another date (or immediately following the first one) could be a round-table discussion where experienced owners share some knowledge and what has worked for them, share their recipes, etc.

I'd be interested in both! We've got the Appolo 1/2time-convection-micro, and many times, oven use doesn't quite produce the desired results.

Erika