Winter Project Info needed

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Now that camping in the Great Northeast of America, NY, NJ, PA, I would like to start my winter project. I want an onboard air system for my 2012 Ford F350 DRW that can handle, air horns, tire inflation for truck and trailer and air tools for roadside emergencies. The one kit I like is by Viair and it is a bit expense so I am looking for input on how to start small with the air horns then add to get the final product as I described earlier. So let me hear you ideas and if you have links please give them to me also.

jbeletti

Jim,

Tankage will be a consideration. A single 2 gallon tank may not be enough. I plan to change up my system this winter too. I have a single compressor and a single 2g tank. Probably going to add a second 2g tank and either a larger CFM compressor or a second compressor. I'll let you know what I end up doing and how it works.

porthole

Retired
Jim and Jim

i would start with tank size, then compressor and then go from there. Those are the two hardest to install and costly (compressor/s).

On the long bed Fords you can easily put a 5 gallon tank above the driveshaft, without removing anything. It does take some fabricating of brackets. You could probably get an 8 gallon up there.
I have a 5 gallon above the shaft and a 3 gallon (came with the suspension kit) under the right side rear door.
Keep in mind, many of the compressors are rated at 5 gallon max tank size.

I have pull cord tank drains on each tank with the cords next to the right side running board. Sometime before the winter I need to add a cover for the lower tank to protect that valve from snow and ice.

You can't have too many ports on a tank. 6-10 ports may sound like a lot but it really isn't if you need a low point drain to be forward with the brackets on the left.

i have a heavy duty 200 psi 100% duty cycle heavy duty compressor. Although fairly large and with a built fan and heat sink I am a little disappointed with it. Just too slow for the cost. And the wiring, that you are not allowed to alter is under sized. The supplied relay, which you are also not allowed to alter for warranty purposes failed due to moisture within one month.
I am using a ViAir regulator for the truck and hitch air bags, regulated to 110 psi. Besides the bag requirements it cuts down in compressor cycling.

Jim M, I would consider mounting the compressor/s in the bed under your tool box.That would offer weather protection and may cut down on the in cab noise. My compressor is on the chassis and quite noisy.

If I were to do it again I would get a pair of ViAir 200 psi, 100% duty cycle compressors.
I would run 6 gauge wire from the battery to the compressors, fused at the battery end.
I would use a marine rated heavy duty relay (automotive starting type).
A resistor and diode across the terminals maybe to hopefully stop the "pop" I get in the radio when the compressor kicks off.

I use both a 150 psi and a 175 psi switch for the compressor, selectable in the tool box.
150 is for everyday use. 175 is for filling the cyclone tires. Most pressure switches have a 35-40 psi differential between cutting in and off. The Cyclone tires are filled to 115 minimum, so the 110 psi cut in is a pain.
All wiring, connectors, fuses, posts, relays etc are marine rated from West Marine.

Most of my airlines and connectors are from Michigan Spring. I have a brass bulkhead connector in the trucks trailer hitch that is my tap for an air hose. That connector is actually a WM fuel line item.
Some items are from Amazon like 1/4" 1/4 turn valves, I use that to shut off the air to the hitch when removed

Wherever you mount the air horns I'd suggest mounting the air relay as close as possible, even directly on the horn if there is room. Having the relay at the horn will eliminate the delay of getting max psi air into the horn. My current relay on the tank has a noticeable delay for the horns.
I tapped into the electric horn circuit (at the horn) and ran a 12 gauge wire through the frame up into the cab to an on/off switch next to the 12 volt port. This gives the option of electric only or electric/air horn.

Air tool usage will probably require a 3-4 CFM at 90 psi compressor. Just not going to get that affordably for the trucks. You are looking a $1k and up for that in 12 volts.

I use a Snap-On 18 volt impact for the roadside stuff.

By having an airline and nozzle at dog camp I was able to save two iPhones that got dunked!
blew air though all the holes until as dry as possible then put the phones in bags of rice. 12 hours later the were good to go.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Try Texas Air Horns (Google them). They have a big assortment of horns and can give you good advise on expandability. Several of our Virginia folks have bought from them and are very satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murry135

Duane, Jim and Gus,

Guys thanks for your input. Duane if I could only find a way to transpose your narrative into a finish product I would be in heaven, great description and explanation of why and what to use. I am glad I put this post out because I was going in the wrong direction with a smaller tank and smaller pump. I will add all items to my list to Santa and see if his/her elfs can put together a nice kit and then install it. Great info from great guy's this is why I like HOC. Looks like it will be an all winter project collecting parts and installing in stages.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I intend to talk to Jason at Airhorns of Texas in McAllen Texas when we are in the Rio Grand Valley in January. My Viair system is perfect for the air horns I have mounted but I can't get more than 80 psi to air up tires.

murry135

Thanks for the response Jay. Let me know what you find out. I am so undecided as to what I want out of my onboard air system. I guess I need air supply for tires and horns and should design a system just for that.