Condensation in our new North Trail 28BRS

We had our maiden voyage this weekend, everything went real well , love our RV...but while in bed last night, I felt condensation between head of our queen bed and the wall, actually between bed fram and wall. The temps have been in mid 60's during day, mid 40's at night. We have not used our propane furnace, we opted for a vornado electric heater,,,any idea why this is happening of previous experiences. Wondering if this is already an issue

Lynn1130

Open a window---It is common to have condensation in a trailer if all of the windows are closed. Just the moisture from your body and breathing will cause condensation if there is no escape for it. Crack a window or open a vent slightly to allow moisture to escape. There is probably a note in your owner's manual about how to control this problem and most will tell you that even in cold weather and especially if it is raining or snowing it is better to have a window cracked as it will still be drier outside than in the trailer if you leave it closed up while living in it.

Also, when you have the coffee pot going, and/or the tea kettle on, turn on the stove vent. Same goes for the bathroom vent when showering. It can get very moist in short order if you do not.

So funny you mentioned breathing, DW said its at the head ot the bed where we sleep and the front wall of camper...I laughed at her whe she said that...are we better using the propane furnace on our local weekend camp trips...next weekend is highs in 50's lows in mid 40's

Willym

There is a cold spot between the mattress and the wall, moisture will condense there. Move your mattress an inch or so away from the wall, so that some heat can get in there. This will eliminate the cold spot and stop the condensation on the wall. If the situation continues, you may end up with mold.

We put a fewe damp-rids up near the head of the bed....might keep a window cracked next weekend. there is a metal cap on outside of trailer on wall where head of bed is.......couldd that getting cold air and warmth in trailer (from electric heater) cause condensation???

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
If you are camping at a place with electric, I would suggest a small electric ceramic heater. Your already paying for the electricity, no need to use up your propane.

So funny you mentioned breathing, DW said its at the head ot the bed where we sleep and the front wall of camper...I laughed at her whe she said that...are we better using the propane furnace on our local weekend camp trips...next weekend is highs in 50's lows in mid 40's

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In addition to your breathing, the body heat that escapes from under the covers adds to that moisture creating process. We have the same problem in our Bighorn. I haven't tried it yet but maybe a small blanket or crib bumper pad around the head of the mattress might work to insulate that area form condensate.

Willym

I think that adding more insulation could make it worse - the cold spot will be enhanced, and vapour will find it's way there and condense. It's why we have vapour barriers on homes up here.

In addition to your breathing, the body heat that escapes from under the covers adds to that moisture creating process. We have the same problem in our Bighorn. I haven't tried it yet but maybe a small blanket or crib bumper pad around the head of the mattress might work to insulate that area form condensate.

TeJay

Even in a well sealed house the air completely changes 4-7 times every hour year round. That's not a hard fast rule but you get the idea. That exchange of air helps to control moisture. Even with that happening, depending on the outside conditions moisture content will vary from season to season. Winter time with forced air heat, electric strip heaters, heat pumps or wood stove heat will change moisture content in the wood of your home. I would think that a TT with sealed windows, plastic laminate sides, sealed roof, etc, etc that the TT may be better sealed than our permanent residences. You can imagine how the moisture in a small sealed TT will build up if you don't provide ways for the air to exchange.

JMTCW
TeJay

Ray LeTourneau

I think that adding more insulation could make it worse - the cold spot will be enhanced, and vapour will find it's way there and condense. It's why we have vapour barriers on homes up here.

My thoughts were to prevent the warm moist air that comes from under the blankets from getting to that colder wall just above the mattress for about 10 inches. Anything above that usually doesn't get any condensate. Like I mentioned, I had not tried it yet. It hasn't been cold enough here.:cool:

Willym

Moving the mattress away from the wall 1-2 inches fixed the problem for us. A friend who had the same problem actually got mold formation. They fixed the problem the same way as us. Overall moisture control is important and some ventilation is always needed. However, when it's cold outside, moisture will always find it's way to a cooler area and condense if the surface temperature is below the dew point of the air.

My thoughts were to prevent the warm moist air that comes from under the blankets from getting to that colder wall just above the mattress for about 10 inches. Anything above that usually doesn't get any condensate. Like I mentioned, I had not tried it yet. It hasn't been cold enough here.:cool:

Ray LeTourneau

Moving the mattress away from the wall 1-2 inches fixed the problem for us. A friend who had the same problem actually got mold formation. They fixed the problem the same way as us. Overall moisture control is important and some ventilation is always needed. However, when it's cold outside, moisture will always find it's way to a cooler area and condense if the surface temperature is below the dew point of the air.
Thats a good idea too but for me, I lose my pillow down that gap. I hate when that happens!;)

Rickhansen

We run a small tabletop dehumidifier, especially spring and fall. It removes the excess moisture and adds some additional heat.

I'm thinking of a small portable dehumidifer....DW is not sure how much more we will camp this year.......Not sure if it will be an issue in warm weather. We are camping this weekend will give an update