50 amp cord storage on Greystone 27RK

SD08ER

Hello all! This is my third 5er and first Heartland Graystone 27RK. We have had it for two weeks and just about have it ready to go on it first trip in about three weeks to the beach. It is nice that there is a Owners Forum to ask questions and see what other owners are doing. After the first of the year I will be joining the Owners Club and want to attend some rallies. If there are other GS27RK owners out there that have anything they have done to thier rig I would like to know.

I have one question. What to do with that 50AMP Detachable Cable. What do you store it in to make it easy to hook up so I don't have a mess around the outside of the rig?

danemayer

New Graystone 27RK

Hi sd08er,

Congratulations on joining the Heartland family and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, who also love to get together at rallies.

Our cord is on an electric reel but I'm sure others will join in to share their solutions shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jbeletti

Re: New Graystone 27RK

Hi Scott and Roxan,

Thank you for your purchase and welcome to the Heartland family!

Some store the cord in a round clothes basket, others used a square milk crate. Some just coil it up and hang it on a large hook. In some of the coaches, there is a large white hook in the frontmost (generator) cabinet.

Speedy

Scott,

I moved the large white hook from the front compartment to the street side compartment since that is closer to my connection. Since moving it I don't have as many back issues.

006.JPG

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

When I had that heavy cord to carry around I just threw it in the bed of the truck. That was a lot easier than trying to hang it up in that front compartment.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I do as Dave does. I do put it behind the hitch so it is not readily visable. Just be careful about where you park so it does not vaporize while you are away.

1231ChaseB

If you we're to look under modifications and cord reel revisited there are some pic's of the air hose reel i got at Harbor Freight and it work's great for that big cord !
chaseb

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The hook in the front compartment is OK for storing extra garden hose and my extension cords, but too difficult to put the 50A cord in there (with all the other stuff that gets piled in). I just hand coil the cord, secure the coil with a large plastic cord/hose carrier, and stick it alongside the UDC in the basement. It's one of the first things out when we set up.

jolar3329

My Big Horn came with a 50 ft cord. I cut it in half and installed new connectors. It's a whole lot easier to use a 25' cord.

jbeletti

My Big Horn came with a 50 ft cord. I cut it in half and installed new connectors. It's a whole lot easier to use a 25' cord.

Wow Larry - never heard of any of our units coming with a 50 footer. That's a lot of cord. Did you make it so you could use it as an extension when needed?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wow Larry - never heard of any of our units coming with a 50 footer. That's a lot of cord. Did you make it so you could use it as an extension when needed?

I was wondering if I got shorted (no pun intended) on my cord. It is only 25 ft. long.

Dave49

I store mine in one of those plastic Xmas wreath storage boxs. You can actually get two 25' in one box if you take your time. Also put the water hoses in another one.

But I am seriously considering the electric reel. Just trying to figure out where I am going to put it. May try to put a cabinet right back by the plug in. But have to find out the dimensions of the reel before knowing exactly what I can do.

Dave

1231ChaseB

You might look on the Harbor Freight web site at the air hose reel WITHOUT air hose and get the measurement's ? When i took the 20% coupon in it only cost about 16 dollar's !
chaseb