Drain and Blow Out Water Lines or Use Antifreeze?

scottyb

What is best, pumping anti freeze into the water lines or draining and blowing them out with air? Our winters are very mild around here, and I will probably use it a few times over the winter. I made a fitting with a ball valve and quick coupler to connect to the City Water port, so it is pretty easy for me to blow out the system.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Drain nand Blow Out Water Lines or Use Antifreeze

I blow out with air, then run anti-freeze thru everything but the refridgerator. Double check.

Rrloren

I've done it both ways but in recent yrs. I blow out the lines ,open low point valves and pour some anti-freeze down each drain and leave some sitting in toilet bowl. Never had a problem.

RoadJunkie

I blow out my lines, but use the pump (winterize position on valves) to suck up a small amount of antifreeze to ensure pump is protected. Then, as stated previously, I put antifreeze in traps. Don't forget the washer rough-in lines and trap.

Miller0758

I use antifreeze. I blew out the lines a couple years back but didn't sleep very well in February wondering if I got all the water out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Drain nand Blow Out Water Lines or Use Antifreeze

I also blow out all lines, then pump in antifreeze. Sometimes winter around can get into the teens and hang there for a few days. Once I've winterized, the rig is not used until late spring.

happykraut

I blow and then suck antifreeze into the lines. Keep in mind that the antifreeze in the bowl will eventually evaporate off. Don't let that happen, you don't want that seal to dry out. I was just in the storage lot this morning and added some more to the bowl. In the bowl I use windshield washer fluid. It is cheaper than the RV antifreeze which I do use in my lines.

scottyb

Keep in mind that the antifreeze in the bowl will eventually evaporate off. Don't let that happen, you don't want that seal to dry out. In the bowl I use windshield washer fluid. It is cheaper than the RV antifreeze which I do use in my lines.

Seals drying out is probably a bigger concern for me than freezing pipes. Thanks for that advice.

hoefler

Never have blown the lines out, just pump antifreeze in it and have never had any problems in over 30 years.

CeeCee

We have also never blown out the lines. I heard that the antifreeze doesn't mix with water & if you notice when you pump the antifreeze thru the lines it pushes the water out first.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I do both for piece of mind. It takes maybe 5 -10 minutes more. An ounce of prevention is well worth it.