Swapping the factory supplied single step to a double step

caver

Are the step mounting brackets pretty standard in the industry? Steps in various catalogs do not give mounting dimensions.
I have a NT FX17 and the step is just too hi.
It's about 15" from the bottom step to the ground and I'm above average height. The paint can is for scale.
IMG_0911-M.jpg

oldmannj

When I bought the trailrunner I decided we needed a third step (ours has 2 from the factory) Here's the rub: Pull out steps are 25" wide. Fold down steps are 27 1/2" wide. I wasn't able to find anything in a 3 step system that would work. You may be able to get a 2 step from HL parts if that's all you need, BUT measure it out first and see what you have. ED P.S. I believe Lippert has the info you'd need as far as dimensions on the steps.

Last edited:

pegmikef

I made an eight inch high step (carpeted plywood box) that we use. Last thing in the door and first out. Works well and dependent on the terrain, we don't always need it.

donr827

Camping World and other RV parts suppliers sell a folding aluminum step with a height adjustment. They are light weight and steady. Been using it for around six months with no problems.
Don

caver

There were mounting holes about an inch lower so I lowered it for now with a slight improvement. A member on rvnet suggested a Stromberg Carlson unit which gives detailed dimensions of replacement steps on their website. The one supplied by HL says "Best" and made in china :)