Slide covers?

traveler44

The way the wind has been gusting today we are getting used to it rattling the slide covers but just now we had one that sounded like it was trying to rip the slide cover off. Just wondering if anybody has had any damage done to the slide covers from the wind? Tom

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Last year we went through winds several times over 70mph. (One was 90mph, very scary).
When it gets over about 60mph I start putting my slides in.
Haven't sustained any damage YET.
My neighbor was gone and he lost one of his slide toppers.
Some of it depends on how you are facing in relationship to the wind. Head into the wind if possible, IMHO. Trace

Last edited:

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Our slide covers/toppers are noisy with the least amount of wind...but we are used to it. We have been in some serious winds here in Colorado as well as on the Texas coast and have not had any damage (knock on wood!!). Don't know exactly what the wind speed was but it was intense when we were camped out on the Colorado high plains in Sterling...we were "rockin & a rollin" (and not in a fun way!!); we thought about bringing in the slides but never did. On the Texas coast we were camped @ Goose Island S.P. (right on the seawall) and we had several days of squalls/sustained high winds that were whipping water up/over the rig!! Again, we didn't bring the slides in. We did wash the heck out of the rig though right before we left and then again when we got home.

Gaffer

I have 3 slide toppers. The big one has a little tear about 1.5 inches long right next to the mounting channel. This rear I bought 6 lawn tire inner tubes 15x6 and put them on the end of each slide centered under the topper. They really help with the flapping.

ncc1701e

I have 3 slide toppers. The big one has a little tear about 1.5 inches long right next to the mounting channel. This rear I bought 6 lawn tire inner tubes 15x6 and put them on the end of each slide centered under the topper. They really help with the flapping.

You wouldn't mind sharing a picture of the mounting would you? I've always had some concerns about wind and the slide toppers. I'm a firm believer in the toppers and have had them on both our last two campers. I've been thinking more about some supports or protection for the toppers on this unit as especially the living and off door slide toppers are much larger on our new camper.

Thanks
Tom

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We had a trailer and a MH parked next to us for a couple of days and the wind was very strong. We were inside our trailer and heard this loud roar. Thought the rubber roof was being blown off. Went outside to look and it was ok, but followed the sound and it was the slide toppers on both of the nieighbors RV's. This was really loud.

BC