Satellite TV

crmfghtr

Hello, It seems to me read somewhere that the landmark key largo comes Pre-Wired for the Winegard satellite system. Please correct me if I'm wrong. if it is, what does this mean does it mean cables are run to a specific area in the roof to wire-up the satellite dish (either Direct or Dish network) or ? Can anyone elaborate on this?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You are correct. There is the regular cable and also a cable that is required for the Winegard. The cables are run to a specific area on your roof that the installer would need to find our where that location is. I would think a simple call to the factory would give that info.

crmfghtr

I thought that was correct. So if I purchased the Winegard Traveler SK-3005 Slimline, our rig came with 3 TV's livingroom, bedroom, and outdoor do you need 3 receivers or will one HD receiver work for all three TV's?

2psnapod2

crmfghtr, I am not completely sure as I do not own a Winegard. Jim Beletti, I am sure would be a great POC for this. And I am really sure when he gets on here will chime right in with the correct info.

jbeletti

I believe includes the Control Cable for the Winegard. That in addition to the 2 standard coax cables.

I'd add a SWM8 outside at the dish and a splitter behind the UDC.

Consider the Direct TV Genie HD DVR receiver for your main TV and a Genie client for each additional TV. But there are many other options on what receivers to use and how to wire them into the coach.

Vtxkid

I talked with Directv a couple of weeks ago on the HR 34 Genie as I was asking about the latest on them. The customer support supervisor said that they are having a few issues with them as they are the newest receivers released to date. I choose the HR 24 as it is the smallest HD DVR that Directv has at this time. Down side is that you have to have one at each tv but it is a nice unit!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I believe includes the Control Cable for the Winegard. That in addition to the 2 standard coax cables.

I'd add a SWM8 outside at the dish and a splitter behind the UDC.

Consider the Direct TV Genie HD DVR receiver for your main TV and a Genie client for each additional TV. But there are many other options on what receivers to use and how to wire them into the coach.

jim could you clarify that for us please? We are trying to decide the best way to use the winegard we had installed. The installer claims we only need one receiver to watch different shows on each of our two or maybe three TVs. It makes no sense to me. I want HD on both TVs but I don't know how that is possible from what the installer told Mark. We had to winterize before we got it all figured out.

kristy

2psnapod2

We have the HR 34 Genie and love it. It can record as may as 5 shows or movies at a time, and holds tons of data. We have 3 TVs, one in Living Room, one in the Bedroom and one I added in the basement. I have HR 24's at the other 2 locations and the HR 34 works for whole home DVR giving me the ability to watch DVR'd stuff in all locations. But I do not have the roof top Wingard system. I am using a manual set up with the SWM5 LNB and disconnected the 2 cables from the roof in the UDC and added another connection in the UDC too. This gives me the ability to use either Cable or Satellite without doing anything special. Just hook it up to the other connection I added.

jbeletti

Kristy,

I'll try to clarify for you - but I'm no expert on home dish technology. Know enough to be dangerous is all.

CURRENTLY:
I have the Winegard TRAV’LER SK-3005 for Direct TV HD. I have 4 leads coming off the roof to the UDC from the dish. I jumpered 2 leads to the living room entertainment center and 1 lead to the bedroom closet. At the end of each lead is a B-band converter. The 2 B-band converters in the living room connect to my older HD Dual Tuner DVR. The 1 B-band converter in the bedroom connects to an HD receiver.

TOMORROW:
Same dish, same wiring. I plan to remove the B-band converters, change the satellite setup in the menu to 18 and 1 (dish type and switch type). I plan to connect the 4 leads from the dish to an SWM8 multi-switch, then an 8-way satellite splitter to the output of the multi-switch, then a lead to each TV to the splitter and finally, the power supply to the multi-switch. See the setup on page 3 of this document.

Right now, I'm thinking of mounting it all behind the UDC in the utility area. In a fashion that is easily removable as I'll take the SWM items with me to the next coach.

Why do any of this? At home, I have a HD rooftop dish from Direct TV for the home TVs. At times, we use the coach for an additional guest bedroom and sometimes, I'll work in the coach. So - nice to have satellite TV there. The coach is in my RV garage so I can't raise the dish. I wired 2 leads in the garage off an 8-port satellite splitter used for the other house TVs. My goal is to be able to simply connect a lead from the garage to the coach and be done. But today, I have to do that and remove B-band converters and change the satellite setup each time. Yuck!

Hope this helps Kristy :)

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Thanks Jim. I will show this to Mark and he can put it on his spring list of things to do.

kristy

back2nature

We just installed our Winegard Traveler 3005 about two months ago. We did ours a bit different. We had the two HD-Dvrs (HR-24) from our house. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. Each of them has two tuners in them, so that's four tuners. After installing the dish on the roof we ran the four cables, one for each tuner, to the SWM-8, which we installed on the roof about one foot from the dish. The power supply for the dish, we put behind the tv in the bedroom. The SWM is waterproof and mfg'r states it can be used externally. What the the SWM-8 allows you to do run up to eight tuners using only one cable to feed in to the rig. That makes wiring way easy. So, for us, four cables from dish to SWM then only one cable through the roof along with the one black power cable from the dish. So that's only two cables from the roof.

We drilled through the roof above the kitchen and came in to the a/c duct. It's hollow and runs the length forward to the bedroom duct where it was easy to fish tape through to the back of the tv without being seen. In our model, we found the factory installed satellite cable coiled behind the rear bedroom speaker in the ceiling. There were two white cables coiled in there, but we only used one to connect the living room tv. We put a cable outlet plate, that has three connectors on it, on the ceiling behind the tv mounting board, and it came through there. It has three cables in it, one from the satellite, one from SWM-8, and one is the factory satellite cable to the UDC. Then we ran a jumper from the forward satellite hookup in the UDC to the rear satellite cable for the living room tv. So behind the bedroom tv we have the the satellite power control box, the satellite power, and the SWM-8 power supply. Then from the SWM-8 power supply to a splitter, we have one cable to the bedroom DVR and another cable to the factory installed satellite cable that goes to the UDC for the living room. That connects with the six inch jumper we made in the UDC for the living room. Hubby wanted a neat job with the least amount of wires being seen. It works flawlessly.

jbeletti

Laurie,

Thanks for sharing. That hubby of yours seems really handy! In a new installation, I also would install the SWM8 on the roof, thereby requiring only a single cable to come down from the room. The power for the SMW8 can be sent back over that same cable.