Microwave/convection quit

soilmovers

UGH!
Preparing dinner for a job crew and discover the micro/convection is not working in my '08 3055.

It sounds as though it is working- light is on, fan/motor runs but no heat and the turntable does not move. I tried multiple settings to no avail.

Can someone help me thru the steps or suggestions to check this unit on my own. I'm 300 miles from my dealer and desperate!

Thanks in advance,
Cindy

ChopperBill

I don't know how to fix one but I would guess you could buy a cheap portable one for the counter until you can get yours going. Then sell it on eBay or a garage sale.

jpmorgan37

In your manual that came with the microwave, there should be a phone number to contact the manufacturer. I would call them and maybe there is something that they can tell you to do.

John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Just got done fixing mine. Mine did the same thing, so I called a buddy of mine in the appliance repair business and he told me that the Magnetron was bad. It is what makes the micrwave a microwave. It has a 5 year warranty and the manufacturer will send it to you direct.

Good luck,

Mark

Bopper

Greetings:

I had a similar problem last year with my 2004 Bighorn 3500RL. I called the manufacturer at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon and they had a new oven out of their door by FedEx by end of business the same day. Two days later, the FedEx driver pulled up to my trailer door.

Took the new oven out of the box, undid six screws on the retaining plate, took the old, defective oven out of the opening, put the new oven into the opening, replaced the six screws, put the old, defective oven back in the shipping box, called FedEx to pick up the old, defective oven and had it returned to the manufacturer. No fuss, no problems, no cost to me and a very simple fix.

Hope yours is as simple.

Best regards,
Bopper

2 Adults and a very spoiled Cocker Spaniel
2004 Bighorn 3500RL

soilmovers

I called the manufacturer. We tried a few troubleshooting tips while on the phone, but no luck.
They want to ship a box of parts (to me) to have on hand when the technician shows up to make the repair.
That's find and dandy, but we don't have a physical address on this job site AND we are considered too remote to have someone come out.
So, I will take the advice to remove the unit and pick up an inexpensive micro.
I miss the convection oven!
thanks for the input.
Cindy

jbeletti

Cindy,

Hopefully one of your next moves will be less remote where you can take them up on the parts/service offer. If near enough to a town with a post office, perhaps it can be shipped to your name, general delivery.

Best of luck,

Jim

soilmovers

Jim Beletti said:
Cindy,

Hopefully one of your next moves will be less remote where you can take them up on the parts/service offer. If near enough to a town with a post office, perhaps it can be shipped to your name, general delivery.

Best of luck,

Jim

Jim-
I understand our work site makes it inconvenient for a lot of things. That's one reason we bought the RV. It sure beats hotels!
I get frustrated when new appliances don't work. But we'll get it handled.
Cindy

soilmovers

Update
I called Heartland and they located the nearest dealer to replace the micro/convection. The dealer was kind enough to ship the new one to me and in turn I'll send the other one back.
A little effort to put this together, but the customer service is excellent.
I love our Bighorn!

Cindy- this week, near Crawford, Texas

soilmovers

microwave update #2

Believe it or not, the first micro/convection shipped UPS arrived damaged. The box appeared fine but after opening it, the door was broken off and a large dent on the corner. It looks like it was dropped.
I shipped this one back and hope to recover the shipping charge.

Now that we are working near Conroe, TX, Camperland ordered one and that one arrived damaged, too!

What should I do?
Cindy in Huntsville, TX

DennisZ

Don't know much about the unit, but I just purchased and installed a Cooks brand Microwave/convection oven from J.C. Penneys. They are on sale in the stores for $119.99, and online for $99.00. They are an exact fit for the existing Sylvania oven that came in my BH 3055RL. Just remove the front trim from the old unit, slide on the new one and your done. NO modifications to the opening or microwave.

Looks nice, now only if it works good.

Dennis

Princess Kathleen

If you use general deleivery....the ups, fedex, or dhl....will NOT deleiver to a post office....also your phone number (area code) has to match the zip code area...
Voice of experience
pk

soilmovers

soilmovers said:
Believe it or not, the first micro/convection shipped UPS arrived damaged. The box appeared fine but after opening it, the door was broken off and a large dent on the corner. It looks like it was dropped.
I shipped this one back and hope to recover the shipping charge.

Now that we are working near Conroe, TX, Camperland ordered one and that one arrived damaged, too!

What should I do?
Cindy in Huntsville, TX

The third micro/conv oven shipped to Camperland in Conroe, TX was the wrong one! They shipped a microwave unit.
I guess I'm not suppose to have one............