Front Landing Gear Motor Problems

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Every time we extend the front landing jacks, the motor knocks. We watched it while operating and it appears to be loose, but we don't see how to tighten it. It actually jumps while working. Any suggestions?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Betty, don't know if it will enlighten you (assuming you have the standard Venture electric jacks), but here's the manual for them. I kinda remember when I removed mine that the motor was bolted to the gearbox and the gearbox was essentially held in place by the cross bar. Check the retaining screws on the cross bar at both ends.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The motors just kinda hang there. There are some tabs on the gearbox that are supposed to prevent the unit from moving around too much.
They may be broken off.
On my last rig I, like other people, use some plumbers pipe hanger stuff and supported the motor from the ceiling.
If you hear a clunking noise you might want to take a look at the cross shaft. There is a bolt on each end holding it to the gearbox. Sometimes the nut comes off the bolt and then when the bolt starts coming out it hits and makes a noise every time the shaft comes around.

Peace
Dave

jdfishing

Had the same problem on my 2007. I had a broken tooth in the gear box. Had it repaired and the problem continued. I believe there is some sort of clutch which allows for some slippage. Eventually added a second motor so each leg had its own motor. That solved all the problems. There is no way to tighten the gear box. Some movement is normal. Search under "Landing Gear" and you will find a lot of discussion on your problem.

Gary521

The motor moving around does not cause any problems. This is a normal thing. The noise comes from a clutch system that is slipping. Almost everybody with this type of landing gear will experience this issue. The main problem causing the clutch to slip is the lack of lubrication of the jack screw inside the landing gear leg. It is possible to drill a couple of holes in the outer leg to get lubrication to the jack screw.

I have a 2009 Big Country and I have the same motor and gearbox. The manufacture name is Venture. Mine did the same thing, I broke one of the plastic tabs that are suppose to keep it from moving too much. What a poor set up. Its amazing they made this item out of plastic. I pulled my motor off and made a steel plate with metal pegs and placed it on the back of the gear box. I do not think this one will break. I understand they make a gear box out of metal instead of plastic, which I will probably order. I also added a C-clamp to hold it in place and it seems to work well. It does not move back and forth when you use it.

mobilcastle

I drilled a hole in the outside sleeve of the legs to get some oil on the jack screw and nut. Rust starts at the nut and causes problems with the gears and motors. You might want to do the same. If you drill it put some silicone on your drill bit to help catch the filings. Good luck.

caissiel

Try to raise the trailer with the crank, if real hard the gears are not meshing properly with the pinions and climbing causing drag and excessive wear to the gears. I fixed mine by clamping the centering plate to center. Mine has been flawless for the past 3 years.

I have a post with pics in the BC section in winter 2010.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2