Sundance 3100es, Design issues and questions.

dkgessler

We have a 2012 Sundance 3100es. I guess this is the place to vent a little, and ask questions. (1) The dresser area at the foot of the bed is poorly designed. Between the gaps, and dead space, there is about 15" wasted space. (2) We replaced the two leather chairs in the back of trailer. The chairs that came with the trailer were to big for the area, and the slides hit the chairs when moving in, and out. (3) I don't understand why the house panel with holding tank gages, outside light switches, liv.rm. light switches, and slide switches are down so low. You almost have to stand on your head to check gages or flip switches. They are in the side of a lower cabinet. (4) When the doorside slide is out, and walking down the outside steps, you have to be very careful you don't run into the pointed end of a fender that sticks out. (5) One more thing. When hitched up, the distance between my truck and the body of the trailer seems excessive. I have a shortbed truck, but even if it were a long bed, there is a huge amount of clearance. Why couldn't there be more storage under the belly? Another foot easily for a longbed truck. Just our observation, and maybe some suggestions to pass along.

dkgessler

mdamerell

I have a 2012 Sundance 3100RB and a long bed truck. With my tailgate down to hook up I only have a couple of inches to spare. I would be nervous if I had any less clearance. With my tailgate up I can open the front bay with an inch of clearance to latch it up and get to my battery. On this I believe they got it right. As for the rest I agree some switches and electrical panels are mounted at odd elevations for easy access. Since my floor plan is different, I don't share you other concerns.

dkgessler

I have a 2012 Sundance 3100RB and a long bed truck. With my tailgate down to hook up I only have a couple of inches to spare. I would be nervous if I had any less clearance. With my tailgate up I can open the front bay with an inch of clearance to latch it up and get to my battery. On this I believe they got it right. As for the rest I agree some switches and electrical panels are mounted at odd elevations for easy access. Since my floor plan is different, I don't share you other concerns.

I can see that your rig looks great, and you have the correct clearance. I just took a measurement off my trailer. It looks like mine is 92" from the top of the storage door, out to the center of my pin. Maybe I jumped the gun on the clearance. Do you have about the same on your trailer ? Thank you for the reply. Dennis

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
DK....where is your hitch pin in relationship to the center/line of your trucks rear axle? (most are on center to 3" inboard towards the cab) My hitch installs 1 3/4" in front of the rear axle, makes it difficult to back up sometimes.

mdamerell

I store my trailer at my "base campground" about 70 miles from home. I plan to go over there in a couple of weeks I can let you know then. 2012-11-24_12-05-09_190.jpg The ball is just forward of the axle so I have about 4' to the tail gate, plus 2' tail gate, I'm guessing 6.5' (78") from the ball to the front of the trailer. Took this picture while I was checking clearance and no it's not "latched" yet as you can see by the lever but the weight is on the ball.

dkgessler

DK....where is your hitch pin in relationship to the center/line of your trucks rear axle? (most are on center to 3" inboard towards the cab) My hitch installs 1 3/4" in front of the rear axle, makes it difficult to back up sometimes.

Thank you both for your help. I have a Reese manual slider hitch(I never need to slide it). It looks like the actual pin location in the hitch is about 1 1/2 - 2''
towards the cab. The trailer pulls very well. I recently put a set of Michellin Rib LT tires on it. I added a new Demco Glide ride pin box, and put some air bags on my 2006 chev duramax, and I am very happy how it pulls. The Glide ride pin is in the same location as the stock pin. We live in Oregon City, Oregon, but we recently traveled down to Surprise, AZ.--- Just trying to chase the good weather. The trailer and truck has performed excellent.
Dennis