Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for winter

1. Print this Post   #1

Getting ready for winter

I was wondering if some of you will be using you trailer this winter in areas where you will have temps in the 20's. and if so what will you be doing to get your trailer ready for this. Maybe skirting, adding heat tape, etc.

I am going to be using my trailer in Southern Arkansas for a month or two around December. Shouldn't be terribly cold , but will get below freezing during the night at least for awhile.

2. Print this Post   #2
    Past British Columbia Chapter Leader sailorand's Avatar

khd
    Keep the heat on!! When we went south last January from BC it was down to freezing for the first 2 weeks. From cold after driving all day to 68 degrees it took 3 hrs. then keeping it warm was no problem. I would recommend changing out the thermostat to the Hunter digital. Search here for the links. It makes a world of difference.
    Rand
    BC Chapter Rep.
    Love it and would buy it again. 2006 Bighorn 3055, serial # 2808
    Chev 2500 extended cab, Duramax LLY, Silver Birch, 4x2
    Allison 6 speed, Tekonsha Prodigy
    Ladner B.C. Canada
    VE7HRA / K7HRA
    Kenwood ts2000, Scorpion motorized vertical antenna
    Past BC Heartland Chapter Leader Club #1012

3. Print this Post   #3
    Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired katkens's Avatar

We have never been in freezing temps that long ,maybe 4-5 days. I never leave the fresh water hooked up and use water filled from the fresh water tank. When I need to drain waste tanks I just wait till the warm part of the day and top off fresh water if needed. I have not had any freezing problems with the waste or fresh water tanks.---Ken
    Ken & Kathy
    Razz (Welsh Springer Spaniels)
    Sneakers , Dancer , Saddie & Autumn- Rest In Peace
    2014 Ford Lariat F350 SRW / CC/ 4x4
    2004.5 Chevy 2500HD/Duramax/CC/SB/4x4 (GBNF)
    Reese Signature Series 18K Hitch
    '07 Bighorn 3055RL

4. Print this Post   #4

We are very interested in this subject as well. We are planning to go south to visit family for Jan, Feb and Mar this winter but will be in Maine until then. We have been trying to decide how much winterization to do in the meantime. Should we try to keep the unit ready to travel by keeping the furnance on low to keep problems down or would it probably get too cold and we would have a problem with pump/water lines potentially freezing anyway even with minimal water in them? Or, should we try to set up some electric space heaters in unit to keep it warm? Or, should we just bite the bullet and fully winterize the unit until time to leave? If we do that, would it not be a real hassle to get the unit ready to use as we will probably be in rather cold temps for the first two or three days of travel before we get far enough south to not have temp problems? Prior to this fiver, we had a class c which we went south for much shorter times and earlier in the season (late fall) so did not run into these issues. Any suggestions on best way to winterize in this situation would be appreciated. When we get back we will have the same issues of the winterization as it is apt to still be cold for another month.
    Del & Charlotte Lawrence
    2004.5 Dodge Diesel w/pacbrake, bilsteins & airlift
    2008 Big Horn 3055 RL: serial # 10490

5. Print this Post   #5

We was in areas on three occassions last winter where the nights was below freezing..........some nights into the low teens. Its not really that problematic especially if the days are above freezing. We would either let the fresh water trickle overnight or unhook the hose. Word from experience....if you trickle be carefull because you can fill the grey tank where it will back up and overflow the sink! For traveling we would try to leave later in the morning after temps had risen and we would also drain the lines and water heater before we left just to be safe. While stationary, the furnace will keep the lines and tanks from freezing. We also used the fireplace and a space heater in the bedroom to conserve propane. On one occasion, our regulator did freeze up during the night and the furnace quit (blew cold air), so having a space heater or two is certainly a wise decision.
    Van & Carole

6. Print this Post   #6

Any suggestions about keeping the water supply from the CG turned on. Keeping the water, hose, and connections from the ground (spigot) to where it enters the trailer from freezing.

7. Print this Post   #7

Chardel
    Winterizing the RV is no big deal. I can do mine with two and half gallons of antifreeze and about twenty minutes of my time. I winterized mine 4 times last winter as we made several trips between Dec and Mar. To run the furnace while unit is stored would use an awful lot of propane and if you only use electric heaters it is not likely that it will keep the basement area above freezing (unless you also have them there of course). I have left home with the lines still filled with antifreeze and flushed them at the first stop of the trip. The next days travel hopefully would be sunny which would keep the coach above freezing inside but I would still drain the water heater and the open the low point drains before pulling out if the temps was going to be freezing.
    Van & Carole

8. Print this Post   #8

It gets too cold in Maine to not winterize. I only take a short period of time and you will have the peace of mind. If your power goes out so do the electric heaters, if you run out of propane you lose your furnace. Why take the chance for such a small price.
    [States stayed in while fulltiming

Tom & Judy
    HOC 1048
    SKP 96639

2008 F-450, 4X4, 4:30 rear, Utility Bodywerks, air ride, backup camera and more
    2005 Landmark Classic, Mt Rushmore #9284 Born Feb 2005 SOLD
    2011 MOBILE SUITE 36RSSB3 with vanity slide

Fulltiming and loving it

9. Print this Post   #9

We spent the winter in Temple Texas. The temp got below freezing on several occasions, and the lowest we saw it was 18. When it went below 30 we would let water trickle in the kitchen faucet and never had a problem and we were on full hook ups. Some folks put a heat tape on their water line to solve the problem. If I was going to be in Maine, I would fully winterize, just like I did in Minnesota.

John
    John, Sue and Lorna, our Golden Retriever
    Heartland Owners Club #1050
    Retired and Loving It.
    Done RV'in, for a while anyway. Seen a lot of beautiful places and met a bunch of wonderful people.
    Now just Home and Relaxin'. Sometimes Fishin', Sometimes doin' nuthin'.

10. Print this Post   #10
    goldenwingers

khd995, in response to your question I read a post on this board some months back that said they ran a strand of rope lights along the water hose and covered both with foam insulation and their hosr never froze. I am in the process of gathering the material needed to prepare my hose this way for this winter. Wish me luck.

Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast