New to the RV World

TheDenny4

Hello,

My husband and I as well as our two small Children are new to RV camping. Any tips or sugggestions are most welcome! We have the 2013 Heartland Trialrunner 27ODK! :D

danemayer

Hi TheDenny4,

Congratulations on your new Trailrunner and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here and if you ever have a question, you'll find a great bunch of people here who are quick to reach out with help.

Look forward to hearing from you.

ILH

Welcome to the family. I suggest you read, read, and then read more. And then when you don't see the answer, feel free to ask!

jayandhisgals

Welcome to RV lifestyle. You and your family are going to have years of wonderful memories. I have RV camped all my life, in fact I was even brought home from the hospital to a Motorhome. My best advice BEFORE you EVER pull out of a spot walk around the rig not once but twice. Look high and low. Ensure everything is dissconnected, rolled up, latched down, folded up, etc. etc. make sure antenna is down, stairs are up and family is in the truck! :) Happy and Safe travels.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get in a routine about how you setup and packup. Dont stop to talk to anyone while doing either. BAD things can happen if you do. You and the DW need to set up what areas you and she are in charge of doing. Pat does the inside and I do the outside stuff. If your coach has the black tank flusher...NEVER.....EVER.....TURN IT ON AND WALK AWAY. You can fill your coach with stuff you dont want to. As far as backing into a site and I dont know how much experience you have in backing a trailer......BUT.......NEVER turn your head to look out the window when backing. USE YOUR MIRRORS. If you dont you will turn the wheels the wrong way every time. You are not in a foot race to get parked. Get out..walk around...look for low tree branches...rocks...anything that can cause damage. Tell your DW if she is helping you with this..."if you can't see my face in the drivers mirror..."I CAN'T" see you". Don't start off you new experience with a "knock down drag out fight" in a CG. If your children are in the TV (safest place for them)...ask them to be quite while daddy parks the trailer. Good luck with that.....been there ..done that.

Last word of advise. Don't go out and buy all kinds of stuff to go camping (Wal Mart has the same stuff as CW but cheaper). Paper plates, plastic utensils, plastic cups, stick on levels, and a set of leveling blocks, these all work just fine for a young family. Try to buy lite weight pots and pans and a clear drain elbow and a "good" 20' drain hose. Slowly buy stuff and leave it in the trailer...undies, socks, coats, pants, shoes etc..etc. This way after a short period of time. All you need to pack is food and off you go to have fun....not spend a week loading and unloading. Best advice I can give you....and all JMHO.

Bob

JeremyN

I couldn't agree more with what Bob&Patty said. My only other tip would be to create a checklist. You can even find these on a few RV websites. (just search Google and I am sure a bunch will come up). This has helped us in the past to make sure that we have everything. Also, make sure you add the list whenever you think of something. I can't tell you how many times we have forgotten something, only to have to run to the local store and get it after we get the trailer set up.

Like was said above, just make sure you take your time. Also, don't feel bad about asking for help from other campers when you are in the campground. I have found that most all people are more than willing to help a fellow camper out. I had trouble with my water one trip, and I asked our neighbor to come and help me. He came right over and helped without complaint. It only cost me 1 beer!! :) Way cheaper than having someone from the dealer come out. There is a ton of experience in the RV community. Whatever problem you might have, I am sure you will be able to find someone that had the same problem before and get advise.

Lynn1130

create a checklist
For set up, take down. And a list of items that were used up and need to be replaced.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new Trailrunner and welcome to the Forum. There has been some great advise given above. Just get into your own routine and enjoy. Mistakes will happen even to seasoned campers but that's ok, you learn from mistakes. Enjoy and travel safely.

Bob&Patty

Hey guys, after over 45 years of doing this...I got it right?? OH, I have had my share of BOO-
BOO's. BTW, you did not say if you dry camp alot. If you do, get a 3000W genset with sineway. Also look at a Weber "Q" BBQ. They are lite weight..work great and wont blow out in the wind. We had a Coleman??, RATS, just got a case of CRS. Maybe it was a "roadtrip". Anyway it was red, big, heavy and would blow out in any kind of wind. You might also consider get 2 small ceramic heaters, if you have hookups or a genset, and use those instead of propane. 2 batteries will help if you do dry camp...1 12V wont last the night when running the heater. Here's the deal, you probably dont have alot of outside storage but have a good amount inside. Keep all the heavy stuff in lower cabinets. Get some ponytail rubber bands to keep the upper cabinet doors closed. Put them oround the knobs on apposing doors. Try to keep the front of the trailer heavier than the rear. It has to do with hitch weight. A trailer loaded tooo heavy in the rear will sway badly when pulling at high speed (50 mph and over). Not trying to scare you...just the facts. You will need a WD hitch, dont care what brand, and learn how to use it. Make sure the TV and trailer are "level" when loaded. A little nose down, not alot, just a little, is OK. Next item, get clear plastic totes to use in your storage compartments (Wal-Mart again). That way you can see whats in them. Some on-board tool kits are a must, screw drivers, plyers, electrical tape, duct tape or even rescue tape, extra fuses. By all means get a good pressure regulator for your water hose. One set about 50psi. Buy cans goods and keep them in the trailer, but rotate them by the exporation dates. Get some kind of bag made of netting material to keep dirty clothes in. If you wash that load seperately, then all the stuff from the trailer will get put back in the trailer.

This is the last thing for now (fingers getting tired)......NEVER....EVER...USE your white water hose for flushing the black tank. Get dedicated water hose for that. Cause if you do do it, you first drink of water..could be your last.

Here is some sage advice about maintence. Before or after every trip, check all the "P"trap fittings and water lines you can get to, to see if they have come loose. All the wonderful roads we have. As to the water heater (HWH)......NEVER turn on the "red" switch until you are sure the tank is full. I always, after hooking up the shore water, open all the water taps, on the hot side, until they stop spitting air. Always leave some water in all the waste tanks (gray and black). Put Dawn liquid soap in the sinks and some kind of black tank additive. What to use is for a different time or read what people use. Always check your tires before every trip. Just walk around and check all the lites...in other words, just go around and "kick and sniff" everything.

BTW, what are you using for a TV (tow vehicle) ??

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One of the best and most fun things is attend rallys. See what others are using, talk about what they do and you do and look forward to making good friends.

BC

GoinNorth

Sounds like they covered most of it LOL!! Sounds silly, but don't forget to leave enough room for the slide out ;).
We started our sons camping 6 & 4 months, and they both love it & are great campers!!
Camping is about having fun with the family!! Enjoy!

ILH

Sounds like they covered most of it LOL!! Sounds silly, but don't forget to leave enough room for the slide out ;).

One of the silliest mistakes I would make when I first started camping was to setup, put down my stabilizers, then find out I was 2 feet too far away from the power post! :rolleyes:

jbeletti

Hello Dennys and welcome to the Heartland family and the Heartland Owners Forum. Wow - what great advice from Bob, Jay and others. I agree with it all.

Jay - I too walk around the coach right before I jump in the truck to drive away (antennas down, windows closed, stairs up, stabilizers up, jacks up, cords and hoses disconnected, all outdoor items restowed, exit near site clear for pull-out) - great tip.

Lou_and_Bette

Much good advice here...one thing I would add is to buy a set of plastic clothes pins. I use a Sharpie marker and write on them important things like "antenna" "vent" etc. For example, I keep the one marked antenna near the crank up handle and when I raise the antenna, I immediately go and place the clip on the power cord connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle. Then, if I forget to retract the antenna, I will be reminded when I go to hook up but before I leave. When you remove the clip from the cord, immediately put it back near the crank and retract if needed. Like other things mentioned, don't get distracted when placing or removing clips. I also placed those small attachable hooks where my controls for the slides are and make appropriate tags for things that need to be done before slides are retracted...example, my DW puts a small stand next to the bed but it needs to be moved before pulling slides in. Place tag on stand and when she sets it up, put tag near control switch, remove when item is moved...just good visual reminders, Good set of Walkie-Talkies helps with backing and other times when close eyes-on are needed, but make sure you coordinate your terminology "turn left" means move rear of trailer to driver's left or whatever fits you and the watcher but be sure it means the same thing to both.

Breathe in - Breathe out - Move on...Relax and before long you will be a pro

olcoon

There is a lot of good information so far. We went from a tent to a 5th wheel, a big step, all we knew about having a 5th wheel is that you basically pulled your house from point A to point B. I got on several forum & lurked for a while, then found this one & I'm home. Hardly go to any others now. I've found out that it makes no difference if you have a motor home, 5th wheel, or travel trailer, they are basically the same & have a lot of the same problems. I don't hesitate to ask questions & ask for help, and have NEVER been refused! I've found out that RVers are a great bunch of people...especially if they have a Heartland! Here is an arrival & departure checklist I found and it's been helpful. You can add or delete anything you want to make it your own.

DEPARTURE CHECKLIST

Exterior items -Road ready RV Checklist

• ___Awning retracted and secured
  • ___Camp Fire DEAD (soaked and stirred)
  • ___Groceries/supplies taken out for the camp Stowed
  • ___Firewood Loaded (any that you take with you anyway!)
  • ___Camp Equipment Stowed (awning mats, chairs, tables, BBQ, etc.
  • ___Antenna / Dish Secured (Internet and/or television)
  • ___Shore power and water disconnected. Cord/hose stowed
  • ___Levelers/stabilizers retracted
  • ___Leveling blocks stowed
  • ___All Tires Inspected
  • ___All Tire Pressures and lug nuts Checked
  • ___Access Doors Locked
  • ___Trailer Door Locked
  • ___Truck hitched to trailer
  • ___Marker / Brake Light Check
  • ___Wheel chocks pulled and stowed

Fuels and water system items - Road ready RV Checklist

• ___Motor Fuel Level Checked** (diesel/gas)
  • ___Propane Level Checked**
  • ___Grey Water Level Checked**
  • ___Black Water Level Checked**
  • ___Fresh Water Level Checked**
  • ___Water Jugs Secured
  • ___Aux. Propane Tank secured (from your barbeque etc.)
  • ___Propane tank valves off (unless the refer. will be on)
  • ___Sewer Hose Stowed (if used)
  • ___Fresh/gray and black water tank valves checked/secured
  • ___Pump Off
  • ___Water Heater Off

**Compile a TO DO list as a reminder if you need to dump or fill water etc. if those facilities are not available at your current campsite.
Interior items - Road ready RV Checklist

• ___Window Blinds Secured
  • ___Windows Closed
  • ___Vents Closed
  • ___Misc. loose items secured in their transport locations
  • ___Clothing Stowed
  • ___TP and Paper Towels (add to shopping list if required)
  • ___Add any grocery needs to shopping list as they are identified
  • ___Laundry Bags Stowed (convenient for Laundromat access)
  • ___Any Cabinet Locks Secured
  • ___Trash Bagged (ready for legal/appropriate dumpster)
  • ___Trash bags (add to shopping list?)
  • ___Furnace/air conditioner thermostat OFF
  • ___Refrigerator OFF(unless used on 12v/gas while traveling)
  • ___Refrigerator door closed and locked
  • ___Bathroom door secured
  • ___Slide(s) retracted and secured
  • ___Secure "living room" chairs
  • ___Shopping List in Cab
  • ___Camera Ready and in the cab
  • ___Laptop in Cab with GPS navigation system!
  • ___Daily CD’s in Cab
  • ___Daily Maps in Cab
  • ___Daily RV Log ready for use in the cab
  • ___Cell Phone in Cab plugged in for power
  • ___Verify "papers" are in cab (Insurance, vehicle registration, pet health cert. etc.)
Final actions - Road ready RV Checklist (Before we pull out)

• ___Rearview mirror and seat position checked for current driver ****(Before moving...not rolling through a campground!)****
  • ___Where did you put your wallet/Purse??
  • ___Final Hitch Security Check
  • ___Final Camp Inspection Walk
  • ___Final Rig “Walk around”...(looking for any odd, out of place things we might have missed before!)
​Hope this helps!!!

Welcome! My husband and I with our three children are also new to RV camping. We picked ours up yesterday and had a wonderful experience with our PDI walk through and learned a few tips along the way. Here are the few we learned:
If your antennae is a crank up- hang your keys there so you remember to put the antennae down before locking up and pulling out (have to have your keys to drive so its a nice reminder)
Empty your black tank first then grey (supposedly it helps "wash out" the worst first)
Level the RV using the tires not the stabilizer jacks (they are only there to stabilize)
With small kids if you have a switch in the bathroom for the hot water tank make sure to keep the fuse off for the hot water until the tank is full (prevents kids from flipping the switch on an empty tank and potentially frying the heater element)
Hope these few tips are helpful but they are just suggestions that we received from our dealer. Everyone finds their own niche :)
We own the 2013 Heartland Prowler 26p ph and can't wait to begin using it!
Happy RVing!!

Bob&Patty

One more suggestion. Get a Valterra gate valve and install it on the main drain pipe. You wont be sorry. You can find them at any RV store. Best $30 you will ever spend. No black tank stuff on your flip-flops. Dont ask.

Last edited: