Front Living area, any disadvantages?

Eddhuy

My wife and I are currently proud owners of the Prowler Titanium edition. We are hoping to be full timers in 2 or 3 years and realize there are better FWs for that purpose. We like the looks of the BH 3855 FL with the front living space but are there any disadvantages to having the living space in the front rather than in the rear. I can't think of any off hand and thought I'd get some feed back from those with perhaps more experience/knowledge.

jjriker

We saw that floorplan at an RV show last year. It was nice, but I thought it had a lot less storage in the front living room area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ILH

My wife and I have been eyeing that model too - to be our retirement model in 5 years. The layout sure looks efficient.

Eddhuy

It just looks more open maybe that is why we like it, I never thought about the storage being less. That is a factor that has to be considered and certainly I will have to compare the storage with the more conventional layout.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This plan has lots of advantages, and I like it! However, some things that have marked it off the list for me:

The storage comment can also apply to the bedroom. Although you gain some walk-around space, you loose some of the storage for hanging clothes and other bulky things, unlike in a front bedroom closet.

Also consider the bathroom being a "walk-through style" to the bedroom, and vice versa. This might not be an issue for you, but some folks don't like it.

Do you have good knees? Moving from the living area to any other parts of the rig will always require navigating the stairs, which might be more of an issue as one gets older.

Eddhuy

All good points TravelTiger. While our knees are good now, I have had one hip replacement and scheduled for second this spring. One thing our new FW will have are 4 steps on the entry, a huge difference and much easier on bad hips. We may even look for replacement steps for the Prowler. I will also mention that the steps on the luxury models when going forward are much easier on the body than the Prowlers. Sometimes the obvious things are the hardest to see. That may be the deal breaker right there.

DonnyB007

I am not sure if this might help or not for negotiating the stairs, but I came across a couple of tips.

1. Stabilize the bottom step with a Camco step screw jack.
2. Add a wood strip on the front of each step to give you more stepping room. Cut the 1.5" wood strips from cedar and bolt them onto the front of each step.
3. You need one if those longer handles installed by the trailer door. Then add aluminum tubing to extend that helper handle right down from the handle to the first step. The handle comes on and off easy with bolts and wing nuts.
4. Wrap each step with indoor/ outdoor carpeting. You can use the wooden cedar strip as a stapling point.
5. There are other ideas like installing a lift at your door to assist entry too, but that is only for real difficulty.

Anyway, hope this helps some and hope you get better.