Loft Ladder.

oscar

Unless you are wearing shoes, which we don't do in the camper, it is painful on the feet to climb up the ladder to the loft. I am making modifications and installing 1x3 oak treads on top of the rungs. I will post pictures in the mod section when done.

Meanwhile, I suggest a re-design of the ladder to include a more flat rung with a greater surface. It will not impair the ability to fold up at all, so nothing else has to change. Easy fix IMHO.

oscar

As you will see when I post the pictures, the ladder in question is a very pretty wooden ladder, matching the woodwork, which folds vertical into an equally tasteful wooden compartment. In and of itself the thing is very cool, and I don't want to replace it. But, the slight change mentioned in my OP will make it infinitely more practical.

oscar

The mod:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/36286-Loft-Ladder-Mod?p=291211#post291211

tgreening

The mod:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/36286-Loft-Ladder-Mod?p=291211#post291211

This has been a complaint for YEARS. I cannot for the life of me understand why the factory is being so incredibly obstinate about making such a simple change.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Most people store the bunk ladder in the loft or in the garage area.

thanks,

AJ

mixie57

Oscar, my mother is a darned good carpenter (I didn't inherit that useful skill). When we go back to see her this week, I am going to ask her to help me make this mod. Can you tell me what type of wood and stain did you use and what tool did you use to cut the round rungs off?

oscar

Oscar, my mother is a darned good carpenter (I didn't inherit that useful skill). When we go back to see her this week, I am going to ask her to help me make this mod. Can you tell me what type of wood and stain did you use and what tool did you use to cut the round rungs off?

I did NOT remove the round rungs, I put the flat treads on top of them. Much stronger that way. They are red oak, and the stain is Minwax dark cherry.