2009 North Trail 28bhs water heater bypass valve location

Dutchboy

First time TT owner and first post in the forum.... Bought a used 2009 NT 28bhs...love it!!! The water heater works, but luke warm. As I understand it, previous owners had the temp adjusted for a handicap family member so my suspicion is that the bypass valve is slightly open to bring in cold water for the desire affect. Problem is.... I don't know where the bypass valve is on this unit? Water heater is suburban sw6de....Please help..

BTW, love the forum!

Dutch...

danemayer

Hi Dutchboy,

Welcome to the Heartland Family and to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here, along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful Heartland owners.

I'm not familiar with the North Trail layout, but I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with the location of the bypass valve.

You might also want to check the outdoor shower/sprayer if you have one to make sure the knobs are off. That's another place where hot and cold can mix.

jnbhobe

Bypass valves are usually on the back of the HWT the hard part is getting to the back of the tank.

Dutchboy

Bypass valves are usually on the back of the HWT the hard part is getting to the back of the tank.

I understand that many of the bypass valves are on the backside of the tank, I guess my question is more along the lines of how do I access it On this specific TT? Do I literally have to unscrew and pull out the heater from the outside of the TT, or is there an access panel to the backside of the heater that I have not yet found?

thanks again
Dutch

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We had a 2008 North Trail 28 BHS. The hot water tank acess was located under the bottom bunk bed. I think it was a total of 4 screws holding down the OSB. I removed the screws and used a 2x4 to tilt and support the platform while I winterized the camper. Very easy access with plenty of room. I do not know if it is in the same location on your 2009. Our 2008 was the 4th unit off the line and they had made changes just a few weeks in the run. Let us know how you make out.

Jamie

Dutchboy

Thank you Jamie, I will be looking at things tomorrow night. Hopefully It will all work out!
Dutch

We had a 2008 North Trail 28 BHS. The hot water tank acess was located under the bottom bunk bed. I think it was a total of 4 screws holding down the OSB. I removed the screws and used a 2x4 to tilt and support the platform while I winterized the camper. Very easy access with plenty of room. I do not know if it is in the same location on your 2009. Our 2008 was the 4th unit off the line and they had made changes just a few weeks in the run. Let us know how you make out.

Jamie

Dutchboy

Thanks Jamie, the access was right below the bottom bunk. There was a 2x4 cutout screwed down with 4 screws. The bypass valve was open to allow cold water to leak into the hot water out line thus giving me warm water. With a simple turn of the valve, we have hot water! Thanks!

Dutchboy

jbeletti

Dutch - welcome to the Heartland family. Happy that you are finding out what a tremendous resource an owner to owner online community can be.

I know this is your first TT - not sure if it's your first RV but I'm sensing it's not. Either way, wanted to let you know about a REAL EXCITING thing that is happening on the forum. Heartland product owners are in the beginning of what will be a very long and ongoing process of creating "practical user guides" on how to use stuff in their Heartland RVs. Product owner Dan Mayer is coordinating this effort.

Keep your eye on the forum for new guides when they are published. You can also visit the H.O.M. (Heartland Owners Manuals) site (LINK) to find these guides and more.

Don't be shy to post on relevant locations on the forum - other questions you may have about your Heartland. And finally, join the Heartland Owners Club and make it to a rally! We have a couple coming up in Texas too :) Click the EVENTS link at the top of any forum screen.