12V Block Diagram & Diagnostics

danemayer

The 12V Block Diagram & Diagnostics guide is located in the MANUALS section of the forum. Here's a link.

This guide includes a block diagram of the 12V system, an explanation of how the components work together, and diagnostic flowcharts to help figure out what's wrong when multiple 12V devices are failing at the same time.

TedS

Nice. May I suggest you add a battery cuttoff switch to the diagram. You mention it in the troubleshooting section.

pcthikersam

pcthikersam
Dan
I have a 2010 Bighorn 3055 RL. My range hood DC light and fan quit working, my over sink light stopped working. I have dis-assembled both and found that the power comes into the light, then jumpers to range hood. Pulled my DC power panel, and all looks right, fuses ok too. Do you know if there is anything between power panel and sink light where I might be loosing the DC power?
Thanks.
Sam (pcthikersam)

danemayer

Dan
I have a 2010 Bighorn 3055 RL. My range hood DC light and fan quit working, my over sink light stopped working. I have dis-assembled both and found that the power comes into the light, then jumpers to range hood. Pulled my DC power panel, and all looks right, fuses ok too. Do you know if there is anything between power panel and sink light where I might be loosing the DC power?
Thanks.
Sam (pcthikersam)
Hi Sam,

If the floor plan I looked at is correct, your kitchen is NOT in a slide, so you probably don't have a problem with a wire getting pinched from opening/closing a slide. The power is probably routed through the underbelly and is likely a pretty straight shot from the fuse box to the light. BUT, there may be a junction box in a cabinet, possibly under the counters. If you can't find one there, check in the overhead cabinets.

it looks like the entertainment center is in a slide next to the kitchen. There's probably a junction box under that slide. It's less likely they would have routed power to the kitchen through the slide, but you never know.

Be careful opening junction boxes. They may have 110V AC wiring along with the 12V DC. If something's wrong inside, the box could be hot.

Al_Gibb

We have a 2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. I am planning to change from drum to disc brakes, and am trying to locate the connections for the existing drum brakes and the break away switch. In another post, I saw a reference to a fuse on the brake circuit, and since I can't find this in the 12 volt power panel, I am assuming it is in a line directly to the battery source, but would like to know where to find it.

danemayer

look in the pinbox for the connection to the truck. There's also a wire from breakaway switch to the battery post terminal. I don't think it's fused on the trailer side.

jnbhobe

Look where Dan said it will be the blue wire connected to a black coming out of a piece of romex. I just cut mine at the axles and the pin box and rewired to the controller.

wdk450

Being that the emergency braking system is just that, an EMERGENCY system, I am pretty sure that vehicle codes stipulate that there be NO FUSE in this system to eliminate the possibility of a runaway trailer NOT being stopped due to a blown fuse.

Rriver

My wife and I just purchased a used 2015 Bighorn 3160 EL fifth wheel. There is an outside 12V light just behind the kig pin on the drivers side of the fifth wheel. It is for outside lighting if needed when one is looking in the compartment that the hydrolics for the leveling system are located. I can't get power to it. The bulb is good. There must be a switch that turns the power on to that switch. I can't locate it. The light is located outside of the fifth wheel close to where the fifth wheel and king pin connect. It has an off on switch located on it; however, nothing happens when the switch is turned off or on. The wiring does not go into the front compartment where the generator/leveling systems are located rather it goes straight through the framing to only god knows where. Any suggestions? It would really be appreciated. Other than that we love our Bighorn. Thanks Ron

jimtoo

My wife and I just purchased a used 2015 Bighorn 3160 EL fifth wheel. There is an outside 12V light just behind the kig pin on the drivers side of the fifth wheel. It is for outside lighting if needed when one is looking in the compartment that the hydrolics for the leveling system are located. I can't get power to it. The bulb is good. There must be a switch that turns the power on to that switch. I can't locate it. The light is located outside of the fifth wheel close to where the fifth wheel and king pin connect. It has an off on switch located on it; however, nothing happens when the switch is turned off or on. The wiring does not go into the front compartment where the generator/leveling systems are located rather it goes straight through the framing to only god knows where. Any suggestions? It would really be appreciated. Other than that we love our Bighorn. Thanks Ron

HI Ron,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. If you have any questions we have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed. Hopefully someone will jump in soon with some good info for you.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

SLO

I had that happen to mine this year. The switch on the light was bad. Couldn’t fine just the switch so bought a whole new light fixture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Ron,

I had a similar problem, but in my case there was power on the wire to the fixture. But it wasn't getting through the fixture to the bulb. I replaced the fixture with an LED fixture.

Why don't you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you how the power is routed to that light fixture.

Btw, repetitive posting is not allowed so your new thread asking the same question has been deleted.