Outside Ladder.

oscar

As most who read my posts know, I am pragmatic. Over all, for the money I think the design, execution and resulting value of our 4100 is more than adequate, and as I've stated many times we LOVE it.

Now I've run into my first real gripe.

Due to the fact that the power lines over my driveway are too low (power company is working on it) and that combined with the fact that I am STUPID, I moved the thing with the TV antenna up, and yup you guessed it, when I was done it was down.

Fortunately I found the $7 part this morning so it will be as good as new soon....

BUT, and that's a HUGE BUT....going up and down the outside ladder I saw something I REALLY didn't like. Out of the 24 little screws holding the ladder on 3 have lost their head and another three have worked their way out, and/or are stripped. They are small screws and they are going into a thin layer of plastic, although some may be going into the same stud that the electric bed goes into on the inside.......

Furthermore, there's leaking going on here. I know the water can't get too far, unless it gets in the stud, but still, there is no longer a proper weather seal, period.

Now, when I look in the mirror I see some bulge I'd rather not see (over 55, sorry) but I am well South of 200 pounds.

This is under-engineered, no doubt about it. And, I think the Heartland attorneys would agree with me that it's a HUGE liability. This is NOT a place to skimp.

So, I'm thinking on a solution to this problem and going to a dealer and having him put new screws in the old holes is NOT a solution which is what I suspect the warrantee repair would amount to.

I suggest Heartland also take a hard look at this.

Again, we LOVE our Cyclone but this needs attention.

oscar

79 views and all I hear is chirping crickets......is there something to this I may have missed? Or is this not important? Or am I being put in the "too picky" box?

Meanwhile the antenna is back in business, in spite of the fact that I am VERY uncomfortable on that ladder and am ready for it to come off the wall any second...... I can see some of the brackets bending away as I go up and down.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Sorry for late response, this is definetly improtant and i will get with my plant manager ASAP to see if there is an issue (this is the first i have ever heard anything of this). We do have aluminum tubing for the ladder to anqire into that has more than enough streingth. Not sure why the screws stripped out or lost there head but we are looking into right now.

oscar

Thanks AJ. If you need pictures I will go through the trouble of getting them to you.

MTPockets

79 views and all I hear is chirping crickets......is there something to this I may have missed? Or is this not important? Or am I being put in the "too picky" box?

Meanwhile the antenna is back in business, in spite of the fact that I am VERY uncomfortable on that ladder and am ready for it to come off the wall any second...... I can see some of the brackets bending away as I go up and down.
I had the same issue with the ladder, or should I say "have" the same issue. I spoke up about being uncomfortable as the ladder sagged every time I stepped my 230 lbs on it. The ladder is rated for 300 lbs., but it quickly cracked some of those plastic end caps which Heartland replaced under warranty, but when three more broke just past warranty, I had to buy them at $7.00 each... I expressed my concerns directly to Atwood who makes the ladder and got the chirping too, but they did send me free, 24 plastic end caps. I took it upon myself to add four more ladder standoffs which does make it feel more solid, but Heartland needs to take note and get these things beefed up. I suppose the reason they don't is as far as I know, no-one has been injured or killed under warranty.

guyc66

After my last experience with an RV roof ladder on SOB that I used to own I have decided that these ladders are a decoration at best. I had hoped when we traded up and purchased our Landmark that the ladder would actually be solid enough to be useful, but after a quick weight test I figured it was best to leave alone (I am about 260 lbs). Oh well, I'm still young enough to climb up on the roof using my 8 foot step ladder placed at the back corner, but one day in the future that will probably not be good alternative. Does anyone know of another manufacturer that actually installs a roof ladder that feels solid enough to be safely climbed on or is this just the industry standard?

gebills

The phraseology of the ladder being more of a decoration is probably more truth than not, guyc66. I haven't had the time to focus in on a fix for the design, but do realize that the lack of support in this ladder is serious. At 235 lbs. body weight, the ladder isn't a trustworthy tool for me to access the roof, thus the need to carry an extra ladder, which is a little crazy. Seems like there might be a 45-degree chrome rail fixture that might angle upward from the ladder and affix to the house. I have used fixtures like this on chrome rails on marine equipment in years past. Although, as I stated previously, I haven't had the opportunity to focus in on the problem and search for a cure to the poor design. Should Heartland find or provide a fix for this poorly supported ladder, I'll be one of the first to sign up for parts. In the mean time, the ladder is how we have to access the roof. Happy Trails..........gebills

oscar

The solution is simple. The ladder itself is adequate, although marginally. It needs to be attached properly.

Now, if I was HL, it would be gone, period. Do it right or get rid of it. Personally I think the need to get up there is not worth the engineering. I mean, it's handy.....but then it has to be done right.

waldo238

My Montana that I used to have had heck of strong and sturdy ladder never ever felt uncomfotable on it, the first time I went up on the lader on my new 2013 Cyclone I thought it was going to come off scared the crap out me, but being I was lighter after that I felt better... not.

BarneyFife

Also, keep a sharp eye on the screws holding the plastic fender skirts on. They'll start randomly missing very soon. Go ahead and get nuts and bolts with cushioned washers and just keep them with you. You can replace them at various campgrounds until they're all replaced.

FiremanBill

I found mine to have a bit more, well a lot more, "play" in it than I would like. I think it needs a couple more stanchions nearer the top. just hanging over with the hooks on the top and the 4 lower mounts is not sufficient for me.

I've been a firefighter for 31 years. One of our tests at the fire academy back in 1981 was to lock into a ladder and lean backwards while the instructor shook it. Scared me to death but I felt a lot more secure on that ladder than I do on my Cyclone ladder.

57chevyconvt

There is a difference in designing a ladder or personal supporting structure between static loads and dynamic loads. When we climb a ladder such as the ladders on our RV's there is a certain amount of dynamic load that needs to be be applied to the ladder design. Hopefully HL's ladder supplier is taking both static loads and dynamic loads into their consideration when they say the ladder is rated for 300 lbs. of weight.

rick_debbie_gallant

Never have trusted the ladder, never will. One thing that could help, have a swing down part of the ladder solidly attached to the ladder that will reach the ground thus giving more support to the attached ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TXTiger

I have never used the ladder that came with my Cyclone. I am handicapped and probably couldn't even if I wanted too. I have never been on the roof yet. I do carry a Little Giant ladder in the basement just in case the need arises to need access to the roof.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For those who use a portable ladder to get on the roof, make sure it's set at a 75 degree angle, there are at least 3 rungs above the roof line and you have someone or something to foot the ladder while you're on it. To do otherwise may get you a guided tour of the nearest ER.

rgwilliams69

I think there have been a lot of ladder posts on the forum. I don't even take mine (Cyclone installed) with me any more; certainly not enough to carry me and also make me feel safe. I carry a Little Giant ladder for general use and when I need to get on top I go up from the patio (the Little Giant is 13 feet extended). It is a little expensive but a heck of a good thing to have with you for multiple reasons. Doesn't take up much space either. Never skimp out on something when you are 14 feet in the air, just not worth it. :)

Check it out here.

oscar

AJ, dark caught up with me and today we are away from the unit for a few days. I will get you those pictures.

Yes, fender skirts are a problem on ALL trailers in this price bracket, regardless of brand. I consider them part of the "cheap plastic pieces" and replace them as necessary.

In fact, one of the aft brackets on the port side, attached with a few spot welds has already come loose. Before I hit the road I will drill a hole and put a SS screw in there. It's on the list and that's not a big deal.

Huey

I use a Little Giant ladder myself. Much sturdier! I never carry the ladder with my Cyclone on trips.

One of the issues that has been over looked by many, the rig is 8 1/2 feet wide. Traveling with the ladder attached makes your rig a "permit" load.