Slide Out Topper

We will soon be having three slide out toppers installed on our rig. Any comments regarding "Dometic Delux vs Carefree Kover III?":confused:
Thanks
Mike & Marge

PS: Are the topper aluminum weathershields worth the extra $$$?

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We don't have slide out toppers but have been thinking about them. If we ever replace our Bighorn they would be on my list of options.

Aluminum weather shields will prevent UV damage during storage and travel. Also from tree limbs and such while negotiating getting around in a campground.

Gaffer

I am not sure that I would order them again. They can be real noisy flapping in the wind if it regulary gets in the upper 20 mph's where you often camp. The long ones are hard to clean under to get to the top of the slide.

Westwind

If you camp around trees I would say, get them. If you are able to stay away from the trees ( ? ), tell me how then they will keep you from having to climb on the roof to clean off the top of the slides. I have them but still climb a stepladder to clean under the slideout covers to wipe off the slideout roof with a mop. They get dirty with dust/pollen and that slides into the interior of the trailer.
If getting the hard cover for the toppers isn't a hardship get them they will protect the material from the elements and make them last longer.

danemayer

I'm happy with ours and would buy them again. Keeps rain off the top of the slide outs. Keeps pine cones, leaves and other junk off the slides. In the winter, I use supports to keep the snow from damaging the awnings, which also keeps them from flapping in the wind. Other times of year, we can put up with occasional flapping noise, but if I were going to a windy area, I'd take the supports.

jnbhobe

I think the same as Dan, I wouldn't be without them. Mine are going on 6 yrs old and going strong, they are the Dometic like most everyone uses.