ingrafx

So...I'm in the process of buying my first TT ever, the Prowler 18PRL. Anybody have any words of wisdom??? I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the type III hitch. I think I have my capacities correct, the truck is rated for towing 6500lbs, and the trailer comes naked at 4200 and change. I figure I'll practice in an area parking lot before I take it on the road. We have some pretty good hills around here so I'll see where it's at on a 17% grade going up to my house. I guess there are no "test drives" with RVs?!? Any insights will be welcome. See ya on the highway, I'll be the one in the right lane with my hazards on.

Harvey (pronounced 'RV')

jimtoo

Hi Harvey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Looks like you have been doing your homework. Take care when you first start out and give yourself lots of room on the turns and stopping. Practice does not make perfect, but it helps a lot to keep everyone safe.

Enjoy the forum and if you need help, the Heartland family is here.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi ingrafx,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

One thing to note is that although the empty weight is about 4200, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 6900, which is more than the rating on your truck. I heard somewhere that the average family adds 600-800 pounds of gear to their campers. On top of that, add propane weight and any water you carry in the tanks. If you don't load the trailer up too much, you may be ok, although a 17% grade sounds VERY steep - both going up and coming down. 7% is considered a steep grade in the Rocky mountains.

I expect others will weigh in shortly.

Eddhuy

I could not find the towing capacities for your truck when searching the internet, just some various statements attached to videos. Do you have the V4 or V6 in your truck? The engine size will make a difference in your towing capacity. The GVWR for the Prowler 18PRL is 6900.

ingrafx

Howdy! So, I have the V6 with the type III tow package rated for 6500 lbs. I'm hearing good things from members, so I am a little less anxious about our maiden voyage.

Thanks!
Harvey (RV)

ingrafx

It's only about 1/4 mile and it leads to our little community. It's fun in the winter! Our moving truck nearly blew up its diesel when we moved in in '04. As far as total weight, it's just me and my wife and we are not extravagant campers. I don't think we'll load more than 400-500 lbs total.

Harvey (RV)

ingrafx

Thanks!

I guess we'll be bumping into fellow HLers on the road. See y'all out in the heartland!

Harvey (RV)

jnbhobe

Get yourself to Turning Stone for the NY rally the middle of July. Beth and Greg put on a great rally, you'll really enjoy yourselves.

ingrafx

thanks for the invite, we'll be travelling in the South. Florida, Tenn, Georgia...I'm getting to know this little 18' summer home on wheels. I'm glad we started small, Frederique (the wife) already sounds like she wants "bigger". See ya
Harvey (pronounced: RV)