Rear Stabilizer died a hard death

traveler44

A few days ago we heard a loud pop and couldn't figure where it came from. Then this morning I started raising the rear stabilizers and I noticed that one side was raising and the other side wasn't. I picked up on the one that was hanging and the other side dropped down. I decided to go ahead and raise them anyway and so I switched them to the up position. At first nothing happened so I rocked the switch for up and down and finally got them moving up. Slowly and with more of a weakened sound they came all the way up. So I tied them up just to make sure they don't drop down on the road. This evening I tried the switch and it is dead as a doornail. Thanks to the many posts on here I will start by checking for voltage to the motor-then the switch- and maybe for a breaker or fuse. I still don't know what popped though, maybe a drive pin or something? Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Tom, take a look at the manual crank fitting on the DS. The fitting that the motor shaft goes into is identical. Basically a tube with a pin in the center. But if you're getting no action from the motor now, it's either the breaker by the battery or the motor. Internal corrosion might have finally gotten the brush springs. When mine died, I still had power up to the switch and the switch still functioned.

traveler44

Thanks John! We should be home in a couple of days and I will take a good look at it then. The cord is frayed where it enters the motor casing so I figure I'm better off waiting until we get home to try resetting any breakers. I don't want to start burning anything up while we are on the road. Tom

DougS

Doug S
If the cord on the motor is broken or cracked, you probably have a lot of rust in the motor. I did a repair on the road, and it has been working great. I thought of taking it apart to fix permanently, but it's working great, so I think I'll leave it. Annual RV check now includes sealant on where the wire enters the motor.

traveler44

I took the motor in to a place that rebuilds starters and alternators. They fixed it and said that they used some heavier springs that won't rust as quickly. Cleaning greasing and parts for $40.43 looked like a good deal to me. He said that I need to seal the motor better and it should last a long time now. I am going to try to waterproof it and then install it when I get time to. Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Tom, try wrapping Rescue Tape around the joint where the seal is supposed to be. Include a wrap around the wires as you go. Worked for me.

traveler44

Thanks John! I will wrap the rescue tape and maybe see if I can find an innertube about 3" in diameter and slide that over it and see if I can clamp it tight. Tom