Anyone pulling a Bighorn with a 3/4 ton?

I know that these types of questions are asked enough times in this forum but I couldn’t find one specific to what I was looking for so here goes…

I have a 2011 F250 PSD and I’m wanting to buy the BH3855FL but I’m worried about the pin weight on the axle. Is there anyone out there that’s pulling a Bighorn with a ¾ ton? My door sticker doesn’t tell me the payload rating but it does show that the rear GAWR is 6,100 lbs.

The dry pin weight for the camper is 2,425 and, if I’ve done my research correctly, my axle payload tops out at 2,430. By the time I add a generator, fresh water, people, fuel, and any other miscellaneous items I’m estimating it would be closer to 3,300 – 3,500.

I can move the hitch a few inches forward in the bed to try and shed some of that load to the front axle but I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make.

I know that’s a lot of camper for a ¾ ton but if I upgrade to a 350/450 now then I’m going to have to wait a few years before I’ll be able to afford the camper. So, I’m trolling for opinions and other people with experience on this.

Below are the specs for both vehicles. I based my capacity information on a PDF I found at http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_SD_Specs.pdf but I have a problem with it. I have a 6,100# rating on my axle and, according to this document, I have only 2,430# of capacity left. I’m having a hard time believing that there is already 3,670# sitting on it from just the vehicle weight.

Vehicle:
2011 F250 6.7 PSD
4x4
SWB
1000# GVWR
3.55 rear
RGAWR – 6100#

Camper:
2013 Bighorn 3855 FL
15,500# GVWR
12,320# Dry weight
2,425# Hitch weight (dry)

Thanks everyone!!

jimtoo

Hi MagellanTX,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge.

I'm sure you will get lots of answers from our other members soon. There are a lot of folks that do tow large units with 3/4 T trucks. And most are over weight somewhere.

Stay tuned for more from our members.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I believe the F250 payload is 10,000lbs. The truck weight is around 7700lbs. That would leave you a net payload of 2300lbs. With the pin weight of the trailer at 2430, you're over capacity before you put people, cargo, and fuel in the truck, not to mention "stuff" in the front of the trailer. A lot of folks add extra springs, air bags, etcetera, to increase the load carrying capacity of the 3/4 ton. However, the factory spec on the data plate will still be 10,000lbs and if you are ever in an accident, it could become an issue. We actually towed the Landmark with a F250 for a few months, but with no fingernails left, soon upgraded to an F350 dually.

GOTTOYS

From what I've read, for every inch you move the hitch forward you shift about 100# to the front axle....so, if you could put it on the drivers' seat you might be okay..On the other hand the difference between the 3/4 ton and one ton newer model trucks is usually nothing more than the rear spring pack, tires, brakes, frame, axle all are the same...I would tow something that big with a dually, but that's just me...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can move the hitch a few inches forward in the bed to try and shed some of that load to the front axle but I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Thanks everyone!!
No matter where you put it, the weight is still on the truck. Axle capacities really don't make much sense when you consider adding the front & rear capacities together, they total more the the trucks total GVWR.
That said, you'll still be over weight before you even get anything in the trailer.
There are many folks pulling rigs of that weight with 3/4 ton truck but that doesn't make it right, just unsafe.

Lobovista

Just went to LT tires on my 30 ft Elkridge and wanted to make sure my rig was well under the lesser tire rating, so I went to the scales for a weigh in. But first I weighed my 08 F250 4wd and was surprise at the result. Steer axle was 5140 lbs and drive axle was 3920 lbs for a total of 9060 lbs. my truck also has a rear GAWR of 6100 lbs. After I hitched the trailer, the drive axle was 5900 lbs and to my glee the trailer axles were only 7480 lbs for a total GCWR of 18,320. All my axles, tires,trailer and truck are good but as you can see, the truck is heavier than you think and I don't have much extra left on the drive axle. My rig is much smaller than yours and I wouldn't pull anything much larger without more truck.

Thanks everyone for sharing your insights! Everyone seems to be in consensus that it’s just not a good idea to pull it with my truck.

As I’ve been reading your responses throughout the day, I’ve been trying to figure out if I want to go with a mid-range Heartland or just upgrade my truck. I’m going to keep looking at the campers but I don’t think I’ll be satisfied with the smaller ones so I think I’m just going to upgrade to the 450 and wait a few years for the BH. Hopefully they still make the FL series by then.

Thanks again, your information has been very valuable and I’d rather be safe on the road than take a chance pulling this monster.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
MagellanTX,

You have probably saved yourself much grief and white knuckles.

Have you considered the ElkRidge 36FLPS? A similar floorplan, but maybe a lower pricepoint... Thus giving room for the truck purchase too!

I believe a current model 1-ton should be able to haul these units. Check out 5thwheelst.com for tow ratings and how to figure what you can tow.

Good luck! We'd like to see you in a Heartland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Have you thought about finding a good used 2011 350?? That way you are not spending 60K for a new one. A 2011 350(single or DRW) will do the job quite well.

sengli

I had a 2500HD SWR GMC, and went to a 3500HD dually. We just recently upgraded from a elkridge to a BH with a 15K GVWR rating. The rear axle and its housing is larger on the 3500 series for sure. The biggest improvement was the diesel engine option, with the exhaust brake it is wonderful everytime I have to slow and stop. It feels like I have alot more control.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had an '02 GMC 2500 that I pulled my Bighorns with and it did fine. I moved up to a Ram 3500 dually to pull the Landmark and am glad I did. The dually is much more stable, the Cummins is a great engine.

I had a 2500HD SWR GMC, and went to a 3500HD dually. We just recently upgraded from a elkridge to a BH with a 15K GVWR rating. The rear axle and its housing is larger on the 3500 series for sure. The biggest improvement was the diesel engine option, with the exhaust brake it is wonderful everytime I have to slow and stop. It feels like I have alot more control.
You are misinformed, the differentials on the 3500 & 2500 GM's are the same.:confused:

danemayer

Hi GreatWhiteNorth,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for joining in the discussion.

DW_Gray

MagellanTX, I congratulate you for doing the right thing and seeking information before you jump into this important decision.

In addition to what you’ve already learned, there is a free web based app that will help you with the weight issues when buying a tow vehicle or RV. Here is the link: Before You Buy RV.

Dwhorner

I have a BH 2013 3260RS Elite, 14,000 lb gvw, that I tow with a 2013 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 Diesel, crew cab, and 6 1/2 ft bed. The set-up is great and pulls like a dream. The truck has the built-in exhaust brake that works really well and has all the power you would need.

jimtoo

Hi Dwhorner,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. If you need help with anything the Heartland family is here for you.

Hope you are having a great time with your Big Horn. Please think of joining some of the other Heartlanders at a rally and joining the Heartland Owners Club. You will meet the best folks and eat the best food at a Heartland rally. There is a rally coming up in Oroville first part of May.

Jim M

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)
We'll I have a Bighorn 3455RL. And I pull it with a 2008 F250 Super Duty.We had to put 5000 pound air bags on it to level it up. As soon as I can afford it We will have a F350 Drw. The 250 pulls it just fine but I am over the Limit on the Weight. Our pin Weight is 2565lb.Get the 350.