Ice Maker

Dave49

I have a Dometic fridge model RM3962 with an ice maker inside the freezer. One that dumps into container below ice maker. My problem is that it freezes the water but it no longer pushes the cubes out and into the tray below. Anyone have this problem before, and if so the fix?

We have defrosted the freezer and the ice maker and it just continues to freeze but not push out the cubes.

Dave

danemayer

Hi Dave49,

I'm not sure about the RM3962, but the Dometic icemaker assembly used in some models has a an ejector/scraper that rotates to push the ice cubes out of the tray, after a heating element melts them slightly so they're loose. The same 110V circuit that operates the solenoid to feed water to the tray also powers the ejector motor and the heating element. So you might have a bad switch, or a bad heating element. If you remove the cover on the side of the icemaker, you may find a troubleshooting guide with a schematic diagram. That might help you determine what's failing.

Dave49

Thanks Dan for the reply. Thats what I was missing on how it worked. The heating element or switch. This all come about when we defrosted the fridge. After the last time it just quit. It freezes but it's not heating it up to dump it. I did pull the cover and there is a schematic in there, but I'm not understanding it. But I will keep plugging away at it till I get to the factory May 6th then they may have to deal with it.

Dave

Dave49

Has anyone purchased a replacement for this unit and it doesn't appear that its a difficult switch out. If so where did you get the new ice maker. My wife is needing this ice maker and I have put it off long enough.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, try this. Remove that cover and use a Phillips screwdriver to cycle the ice maker by starting to rotate the white plastic gear clockwise. Once you turn it a little, it should continue on it's own.
Make sure the on/off lever is in the down position. Maybe it's just "off cycle"?

Dave49

I tried that Ray and it didn't work. I think the problem might be as Dan stated that the heater portion is no longer working to melt it enough to push the ice out. Problem is I have no idea other than replacing the whole unit how to check or fix that portion of the ice maker. I know I can take it to someone to have it repaired or replaced but at $100.00 and hr. I could just buy the new unit for close to that amount. Thinking I might just see how difficult that thin is to get out first.

wdk450

Dometic has their refrigerator operation and parts center in Elkhart. I happened to see it when I went out into an industrial park area to a truck accessories shop in that same industrial area North of town.

danemayer

Hi Dave,

I found some pages from a generic Dometic manual on Icemaker operation, including wiring info and switch info at various phases of operation. Maybe it'll help.

Attachments

• Dometic Refrigerator Repair 36044804 Icemaker.pdf
    130.1 KB · Views: 22