Anybody Installed a Folding Outside Hand Rail?

EandJ

Our NorthTrail 31 QBSS has one by the front door, but by the back door it only has the small grab handle. Our oldest daughter is mildly handicapped and so I'm going to install one by the back door to make it a bit safer for her going in/out.

I happen to have one of these kits that I bought for our previous camper right before we sold it and never installed.
http://www.strombergcarlson.com/sto...ntName=RV+Hand+Rails&categoryName=Lend-a-Hand

We couldn't return it when we decided to sell the other trailer, because we uhm, slightly squished the box it came in while sliding out the slides. Didn't hurt the hand rail a bit though.

I called Heartland Customer Service to double check that the rear grab handle was attached to a stud and not just a backer board. They confirmed it, so I will use the same stud to attach the folding hand rail. Only problem is, he told me its and aluminum stud. The fasteners that came in the kit are for wood. Plus, being a hand rail - this will get a lot of pulling/wear and tear over the years from the kids.

What would be the best fasteners to give me a good solid handle into the aluminum studs?

brianharrison

I have used wood screws for Aluminum before with no concerns; don't over tighten (use hand screw driver to finish tightening; not power drill/screwdriver). The aluminum is soft so does not need the hardened steel usually found in steel coarse thread screws. If you want, you can drill a pilot hole before to assist/guide the screw when installing and help with starting the hole (some steel screws have self tapping end; wood screws do not).

Brian

EDIT: Just remembered some wood screws are only threaded for 2/3 of the shank; just make sure the finished "sunk depth" of the screw has threads engaged in the aluminum stud. (should be OK with siding depth, depth of handle base plate, etc would probably take up the unthreaded part of the screw shank.).

gasman

Camp Socializer
Use a sheet metal screw of the same diameter as the screws that came with the handle. You will want to drill a pilot hole in the aluminum stud, just don't overdo it. Leave some metal for those threads to grab.