Axle Wrap problems with 2012 F350 Crew cab, long bed

We purchased our F350 Ford in May and loved it until we bought our 29' 5th wheel RV. As soon as we hooked on to it we had severe axle wrap (launch shutter). Ever since we have been trying to get our local dealer, Mary Franich Ford and Ford to resolve the problem with no results to date. In researching the problem it is the spring set up on the 350. I have tried to get them to give me the 250 spring set with no success. Even though I am under weight in all respects they told me to install airbags which I did but it did nothing to resolve the issue. It only seems to be with the F350 crew cab long bed. Is anyone aware of this issue?

jimtoo

Have not heard to much about it on the newer trucks,, but a few years back, 10 or more, they had the problem and the cure was to install a tapered spring spacer between the spring and axle. This changed the pinon angle just enough so that it would not do the shudder. This was not a very wide problem if I remember correctly.

Also,,, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Jim M

TedS

My 2011 has driveline shutter when I am hooked up to tow. The angle of the driveline piece from mid-bearing to rear axle changes. There is a tapered differential cover that is supposed to fix this, but then you get driveline shutter when not loaded with a tow according to the dealer service tech.

dbbls59

This is a common problem with the high torque engine in the new Fords. I suggest you go to the "TheDieselStop.com" website and read the "shutter on takeoff" thread.

brianharrison

I have not read the myriad of complaints on the other Forums; and I do not have a long bed F350 (I have a 2008 6.4l, SB, CC).

I experienced shudder on takeoff with the Landmark - I installed air bags and inflated to 40psi - it raised the rear of the truck back to about 1" drop from 3" drop with the 3000# hitch load - overload springs are now just engaged on their stops.

The shudder on takeoff is gone in my scenario.

I did not expect Ford to fix my problem - I am overweight on recommended rear axle -still under on total trailer GVWR, under on GCWR.

Brian

Last edited:

wdk450

Gang:
I know this is nitpicky, but to some of us language errors like this are like fingernails on a blackboard.
Isn't the term you are ALL referring to called SHUDDER? (Instead of "Shutter")

From the Meriam-Webster online dictionary: "[h=2]Examples of SHUDDER[/h]
  • The old car shuddered to a halt.

Definition of "Shutter" : a mechanical device that limits the passage of light;especially : a camera component that allows light to enter by opening and closing an aperture

lwmcguir

We had a noticeable amount when towing the Augusta the first few months. The dealer flashed the computer at the first oil change and nothing else I am aware of. That seemed to take almost all of it away. I don't take off like a jack rabbit though which may make a difference for some folks. I have towed cattle trailers and our larger flat beds and don't have the shudder.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Crew cab long beds have a new drive shaft for the shudder issue.

Not sure if the DRW issue crosses over to the SRW.

Part number:
BC3Z-4R602-MP is for a SRW (I think)
BC3Z-4R602-MM is for a DRW (installed in my truck)

Haven't towed the Cyclone yet with the new shaft but with the motorcycle trailer it is better.

travis_g

I have a 2012 F350 DRW crew cab long bed and I only have shudder if I really get on it from a dead stop.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
See if Ford has shims that go between the spring saddle on the diff and the springs. GM had them and took almost all the shudder out my 07 Chebby L/B. Well unless I really put the pedal to the metal. You want to tilt the pinion down in the front a few degree's. Its caused by the pinion and drive shaft being straight (diff twisting up) and not somewhere about 5-7 degree's down. I thinks its called driveline inclanation (spelling). Wonders never cease, my new GMC 3500HD C/C L/B has 1 piece shaft somewhere about 8" around.

porthole

Retired
Ford does have shims. All it does is change when the shudder happens. You either have it when towing or shim it and have it when not towing.
The drive shaft replacement seems to be working for those on the Ford forums who have had it done.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Interesting.... I have a 2006 F250 and have the shudder (I think I spellet it right, HUH)... I thought it was the transmission being under load. It is so slight and never thought it to be a problem.. When I feel it start I always ease off the throttle until I gain a little speed...

Thanks.. I always learn something on this forum...

BC

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
If you are wanting warranty to fix this issue I would video. Mount something like a Gro Pro under the chassis to film it. If this is a axle wrap or drive shaft issue it would be pretty obvious.

Assuming this is a axle wrap problem I would consider losing the air bags and adding helper springs from Hellwig. Or installing a set of Lateral Traction bars. I wouldn't use Cal-Tracs as most people have reported that they start to rattle pretty bad after they wear in.

But I built a set of Lateral Traction bars for my old Dodge due to axle wrap. The difference they made was amazing. Wheels stayed planted and zero axle wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't really know what Axle Wrap is.... I have noticed that if I get into a situation, without the trailer, and my rear wheels start to slip, such as when I was on the beach in sand and almost got stuck, that the rear of my truck started to bounce as if it were going over big rocks.. I though it was the Anti Skid starting and stopping the wheels from turning... Would this also be a problem with the drive shaft??

BC

brianharrison

I don't really know what Axle Wrap is.... I have noticed that if I get into a situation, without the trailer, and my rear wheels start to slip, such as when I was on the beach in sand and almost got stuck, that the rear of my truck started to bounce as if it were going over big rocks.. I though it was the Anti Skid starting and stopping the wheels from turning... Would this also be a problem with the drive shaft??
BC

No this is not a drive shaft problem, nor is it axle wrap, nor pinion gear angle issues.

It is simply a traction/wheel slippage on beach sand.

Brian

brianharrison

Assuming this is a axle wrap problem I would consider losing the air bags and adding helper springs from Hellwig.

You are correct - it really is not a pure axle wrap issue - it is an issue with OE driveshaft/pinion angle and the inability to transfer high torque to rear differential without imparting some of that torque to the case and having some rotational movement of this axle case (ie the axle wraps itself around its attachment points (rotational moment vectors for those inclined). This also occurs with larger mudder tires/lift kits where added traction (big tires) and changing the drive angle to more severe angles.

Not sure how helper springs resolve the Shudder issue vs airbags other than maybe adding more strenth to the axle rigidty on its mounting points.

Both will impart a lift of the rear end back to normal ride height, OEM designed driveshaft/pinion angle. I am assuming, but Duane can confirm, the updated drive shaft design improves on this transfer of torque at "off normal drive angles".

Installing a set of Lateral Traction bars.

This is the ultimate solution to add additional strenth to prevent axle wrap. - Most reputable lift/custom shops will not do a high lift, big tire, increase horsepower without this addition.

But I built a set of Lateral Traction bars for my old Dodge due to axle wrap. The difference they made was amazing. Wheels stayed planted and zero axle wrap.

I presume you were doing the above - way overkill for most viewing this thread.

Brian

tcfake613

No this is not a drive shaft problem, nor is it axle wrap, nor pinion gear angle issues.

It is simply a traction/wheel slippage on beach sand.

Brian

I own a 2012 F350 LB CC. Been researching this for six months. Read every forum available on the web regarding the problem and the majority of the responses regarding a solution lead to driveshaft replacement. Ford replaced my driveshaft about four weeks ago. Significant shudder on hard takeoff is almost completely gone. Very happy with this truck. If you have the problem and it bothers you, go to Ford and they will fix it.