ATF: Edge - Side bottom trim crease repair

evolvingpowercat

I rubbed against a tow dolly tire when parking my Edge and created about a 3' long crease in the decorative plastic trim on the side of my Edge M21 that is below the wall. s I did not break it or crack it just put about a crease down it . Can you tell me waht kind of plastic that decorative plastic trim that hides the frame rails is? I am wondering if I can use a heat gun to warm it and partially work the crease out. There does not seem to be any surface paint on the trim.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure exactly which trim you are talking about, but if it is the one that slides into an aluminum rail, you can purchase that at any RV parts department.
I have also seen the white plastic trim at Walmart.
Can you post a picture?

Peace
Dave

evolvingpowercat

I got my Edge out of storage today and here is a photo of the "oops" that happened last weekend when I returned to the storage lot ...
The plastic is not a flat piece it was formed by Heartland with a decorative detail and at the bottom is folded in 90 degress to make it stiffer.

I mainly want advice on if the heating the plastic up with a heat gun and using a plastic body tool to try to form it back to the original shape is likely to help or will I just make things worse ?

IMG_0246.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Might make it worse. Plastic can become tooo soft if heated and stretch. I suppose you could try, but be careful on how hot you get it. I would get a wooden roller of some kind and a piece of wood like say a 1"X4" piece of pine. Make it fit behind the "dent". Clamp it in place. On low heat, use the roller and slowly start applying pressure to the "dented" area.

GOTTOYS

After you try the heat ..you can call Heartland parts and order new one. Mention you are a member of the Heartland Owners Club and you will get a 10% discount..Probably not that expensive..Don

REODAVE

I drilled a hole thru my M21 skirt so I could get the crank on the spare tire shaft to lower the spare ,the skirt is metal.

evolvingpowercat

> the skirt is metal.

I believe you. I tried applying heat and it made no difference in the ability to return the skirt to its orignal shape so it being metal makes sense. I ended up working out the crease by hand the metal is thin enough I could work it back out with hand held body tool and wood shaping tool. Looks better then before. Thanks.

evolvingpowercat

This is a start I think I can do better if I work at it some more...
But its better than before... I am not going to replace the piece, when I look at it - it will remind me to think about what I am doing when towing !

photo.jpg