Oops - mis-hitched for the first time - ouch!

mikeyy53

Jim, the same thing almost happened to us. I caught it just before the tug test. The king pin looked too high..it was. it didn't get caught between the jaws. Bedsaver is next on the list. I saw that happen with a semi as he was coming out of a Chrysler plant, the truck turned and the trailer went straight, right to the grassy median. Glad no one was hurt.

DW_Gray

I just discovered this post Jim. Ouch! I'm glad it was not a lot worse. Hmm... Topic for an upcoming safety article?

jbeletti

I just discovered this post Jim. Ouch! I'm glad it was not a lot worse. Hmm... Topic for an upcoming safety article?

Sounds like a good idea :) Have a hitch check list (even if mental) and follow it - everytime! If you have a traveling partner that is "into the process" (my wife is not), you have another set of eyes for verification or someone to walk through the pre-flight check list before you roll out.

And as a second part of the article, in addition to knowing the proper process, adding it to your check list, being super diligent in following it - you could chat about safety devices like Bed Saver and the item Butch's Service has - may others.

ParkIt

Sorry to hear it Jim, a week after your incident a tow driver dropped our BC onto the bed of his truck. Part was he wasn't fully lined up, second part is I noticed the latch was in the unlock position. We aren't sure how much damage it took yet, shop is full until the 20th then it goes in to get fixed.

Sounds like we might install a Bed saver though after seeing ours drop and reading other posts, it probably will take me half an hour at least to make sure the hitch is locked tight regardless of the receiver and a bed saver. It was just horrific to watch and the worst sound when he pulled out tearing the hitch cap and electrical box.
The surprise to me was not seeing any damage in the bedroom anywhere though one of the fins on the ceiling fan broke off from the jolt, thankfully our insurance is covering all the damage.