Full body paint

Linc

I am looking for opinions on whether full body paint on a Cyclone or Road Warrior is worth the extra money. Is the money thrown away when the unit is traded or sold or is paint worth the investment? Thanks in advance.

Westwind

If your the type that like's your right looking good and will care for it, I would think it would be handsome, I wish I had it on my 2012 Bighorn, but it didn't fit the budget. As far as resale - I would think it would help, the trailer would look better then one that didn't have it. But I can't answer if you would get more bucks back at trade in, Rv's can depreciate like a rock falling in water.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have looked into getting full body paint and you are probably talking a minimum of eight to ten thousand $$. (aftermarket)

If you choose to do it, you would only be doing it only for your own enjoyment, as I have been told by several folks in the RV business that it translates to very little in added resale value. Trace

Last edited:

danemayer

Sometimes options have a large markup. You may be able to negotiate a deep discount off MSRP for the body paint option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sengli

I agree with TandT, the resale value isnt there. I know the cost of the partial paint on a BH is like $8K list. Sure it looks pretty, and I always admire them at the lots, but its just too much cost up front.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
From my perspective, if you want your rig to retain it's visual appeal. Go for it! Our front & rear caps have lost their luster over the years even though I tried to maintain the shine. UV is hard on the gel coat unless it's clear coated when new. I guess I'm assuming the paint option is clear coated and will retain the original luster if maintained.

guyc66

If you think the full body paint option will help you enjoy your rig more then you have to weigh that versus the added cost and decide if it is personally worth it. I actually liked the full body paint for several reasons and decided it was worth the added costs and never gave two cents worrying about future resale value. In fact, if I was worried about future resale value then I probably wouldn't own an RV......I would find a cheaper hobby (or go tent camping) because Westwood's comment about RVs depreciating like a rock falling in water is fairly spot-on.

jbeletti

From my perspective, if you want your rig to retain it's visual appeal. Go for it! Our front & rear caps have lost their luster over the years even though I tried to maintain the shine. UV is hard on the gel coat unless it's clear coated when new. I guess I'm assuming the paint option is clear coated and will retain the original luster if maintained.

Yep - full-body paint IS clear-coated. Easy to maintain :)

gpshemi

Wonder if you could fine a local painter to just clear coat the unit cheaper and still get the easy to maintain aspect...plus retain it's shine longer.

ParkIt

Wonder if you could fine a local painter to just clear coat the unit cheaper and still get the easy to maintain aspect...plus retain it's shine longer.
That could be difficult with an existing paint job because it won't adhere well to a non-prepped surface. You would need to have it light sanded first then clear coat shot, the cost would be more in labor than material. Worth asking around though, paint holds up better than gel coat in the long run and a good detail shop will have a painted unit looking brand new for $400-$600 which you would make back on resale.

Birchwood

We replace decals each year on our 09 Landmark to keep it looking new but we do spend 6 months in Florida where the sun always shines.You can replace many decals for 8 to 10 thousand dollars but if you are more northern perhaps decal fading won't be an issue.I think full body paint looks awesome but only if its a 5 K option.

Theresau

Just feel we need to chime in here since we just sold our 2010 BH - resale in general is not real good no matter what NADA indicates. We found that trade-in value was horridly low. Only way you can get a good trade-in price is to over pay on the new unit. Everyone wants a bargain these days so if you sell on your own you have to sell low...we sold less than NADA but much greater than the offered trade value.

What was most irritating is no one really cared about the condition of the unit when we were getting trade prices.

TeJay

Be careful if you clear coat over the existing decals. I just talked to a top guy at the Winnebago factory who's job deals with all the exterior/interior stuff. I wanted clarification on what I had heard when you ordered a unit with Deluxe Decals. I heard that they FBP top and bottom and decals in the center then clear coated over everything. That was almost true. The FBP portion had the clear coat top and bottom but not in the center section where the decals were located. He did not recommend clear coating over decals and Winnebago does not. He did say that in the deep south FL, TX because of the hot sun shops do sell many on clear coating the entire unit but said that the decals will fail and create more problems than you bargained for.
JMTCW
TeJay

Rodbuster

I am currently looking into trading or selling my Key Largo for another Landmark. My experience so far is that the "dealers" are not placing much worth into the full body paint on my unit but a couple of individuals have noted that the full body paint makes the unit look brand new.
Another consideration for full body paint is, if you are going to store the RV out in the elements when not in use. That sun can be brutal. I'm fortunate to have mine in my garage to keep it out of the sun.
My opinion is that it is "not worth" the extra money if you have any intentions of doing business with a dealer for trade in the future.

olcoon

We are considering upgrading in the future. Our Elk Ridge is the standard white with decals. It's 3 years old & the decals still look great. I've seen on here where the front & rear caps on the painted coaches have faded. However, I haven't heard much about that lately. Are they still fading, or has Heartland done something about that?

danemayer

Roy,

I'm not sure it was the painted caps that were fading. I think it was the color infused gel coat.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
We have been painting our caps the last couple of years to prevent fading

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not to go off topic, but I've seen a few SOBs in our storage lot with the dark-colored faded front caps as well. They are dark grey or dark brown.

We've had some decals that cracked and peeled this year on our 2010, they were on the west-facing side as positioned in our storage lot. (Since we had record heat (100+) the last two summers, I figured that may have contributed, even tho I 303'd them last spring.)