Wired backup camera.

porthole

Retired
Hey Ken - I can tell you I won't do this again on a toy hauler with no rear cap. What a PITA getting cable up to the top!
Been at the last 10 feet for a couple oh hours and still don't have the cable up to where the camera will be located.

The back of the garage is all steel frame and guess how big the holes are for wire harness? Just big enough for the factory wiring.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Ken - I can tell you I won't do this again on a toy hauler with no rear cap. What a PITA getting cable up to the top!
Been at the last 10 feet for a couple oh hours and still don't have the cable up to where the camera will be located.

The back of the garage is all steel frame and guess how big the holes are for wire harness? Just big enough for the factory wiring.

LOL.....was fun in spots . We ran mine from the front to the rear, the front was the hardest because of all the cross braces. I was really surprised how well pulling up the wire in the rear cap went. I still need to adjust the angle of the cameras , was way off setting them at the rally , was kinda hard with only the side of other rigs to look at. I think I will really like this setup when things get adjusted, let me know how you like the side cameras,I didn't get those........Kenny

porthole

Retired
Back to the OP's question.

Oscar, I can't really answer your question but I can tell you that the 60' video cord is just about long enough for a 3010 trailer. That trailer is 35'' end to end.

Last edited:

scottyb

I have a wireless camera on my 3800 and I'm not very happy with it. It should fairly easy to put a wired camera in as there is a cable channel on the rear of the camper on the ODS side. Drop the ramp and you can see it on the left side. Putting in three wired cameras on camper is my summer project.

Did you have any luck with this. Duane seemed to be having trouble getting the wire to the top. I have the same setup, no rear cap due to having a rear awning. I am trying to get a visual on getting the video cables with their ends through the spaces, both front and back.

scottyb

HELP, I've been offered a backup camera for my BD, and I'm teetering on which direction to go. I really want a hard wired camera but it sounds pretty tough to get the cables through. Any insight into the installation is appreciated. After talking with videosbyJim today, it made me want to go hard wired even more.

porthole

Retired
I would go with hard wire.

Scott, I am only guessing your trailer is built the same as mine, this is what I did. 4 video cables, left and right and a double rear.

I use a universal replacement speedometer cable for snaking.

This part is a PITA, cables from the pin box above the skin. Removed the screws there to drop it some. After an hour or so I have the cables run back towards the genny and then a right turn to the propane cabinet.

From the right side basement door, I removed the trim that would be under the bedroom and the hallway.
Removed the 3 rear basement walls
Cable along with all the others.

There is a gap either in the floor where other wires, plumbing goes into the bottom of the trailer. Cables down there and out to the ground.

Removed the corro-plast screws along the left side of the frame, also dropped the propane piping. Some of the screws will probably break, have spares.
"Cabeled" along all the way to the rear of the trailer.

In the garage, the carpet covered piece in the left rear corner is removed and you can see all the wires running up the corner.

PITA #2
Looking in the bottom of the corner you can see where the wires go down into the chassis, very little work room here.
Looking underneath that corner you can see where the factory wiring goes from inside the frame rail though a hole and above the aluminun J-panel.

Piece of coat hanger bent and about 30 minutes of fishing and I have a snake from that garage corner through the hole in the frame.

PITA #3
Getting the video cables through. I finally ended up using an old "S" video cable. I pulled the pins out, jammed the new cable into the fitting and taped it up, pulled the cable into the garage with a piece of string attached to bring the S cable back out.
Same with second cable.

I would suggest leaving a piece of string here in case you ever decide to run something else (odds are you will not after doing this)

Cables up to the roof on the inside. I bought some new plastic loom that was large enough to cover all the wires.

Do you have the pull down screen? Remove it, makes it a lot easier.

Looking up you will see trim that runs across the back of the trailer below the roof. This is a box channel. On mine, the front facing piece is covered by the same wallboard used on the side walls. After I removed the trim all I found was a 3/4" solid piece of Cherry.

Remove the bottom piece of trim to gain access.
Look in the very top left corner and you will see the wires coming out.

On mine, that hole was just big enough for all the wires bundled there. And it is an aluminun tube, part of the wall.

PITA #4
I enlarged that hole and finished snaking the wires up. That probably took another hour+.

The rest is fairly straight forward. Don't forget to wash up good all the cuts and scrapes.

Just a thought, if you decide to do all this. I also have a 12 gauge wire going from the pin box up to the rear flood lights. I have it wired into the back up circuit. That works great at night.

I have the double rear camera. It offers a nice view a) looking straight down, allows me to see the springs on the ramp and out about 5-6' (good for backing up to my fence) and b) a rear view for traffic. Adjusting to get the view you need takes some time. Don't put all the camera screws in until you are satisfied with the view.

I would guess there is a bout a 20 foot gap where there is no coverage between the 2 cameras.

I think the side mount cameras are nice but the video quality leaves a lot to be desired and I find them about useless. I would

the 60' video cable was just long enough for me. Even if yu don't need them I would plan on having at least one extension for the rear camera (2 if using a double camera)

Get an extra cable, I think the typical extension is 15'. Cut it in the middle. You now have 2 pieces that you can securely attach you cables to for snaking through the tight areas. I wish I had thought of this when I bought the system. The extra cable was cheap.

While I was in there I also ran 12 gauge Romex back to the garage, I now have outlets on each side wall about 8" off the floor. I had already run a separate 20 amp circuit to the front wall next to the slider. My garage only had a single duplex up high under a cabinet.

Left and right sides are 20 amp and also run through an inverter with a built in transfer switch. This was done mainly for my electric cooler and ice maker. You can't have too many outlets!

And of course, your mileage may vary :rolleyes:

scottyb

Holy mole!. Just got home to see this. I will print it and take it out to the rig in the morning to evaluate. I knew it was going to be tough but ...............

I have a 26' x 48' carport to build, with footings and piers to pour, before my delivery in Sep. I am going to get the camera now, but it may have to take a back seat until the last piece of sheet metal is hung.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure it will pay off.