Cyclone - Water leaks-Unhappy Camper

Alvenia

We are very unhappy with having a water leak. When we took deliver, we specifically asked if they checked all the water lines and we of course was told yes. Previous experience was the reason we asked. We had a Bighorn and had to take it back to the shop twice before they fixed it. Now the same thing. There is no reason why these units should have water problems. We paid a substantial amount of money and should not have these problems. Now we have to cancel camping trips and loss money on our deposit because of faulty workmanship, starting at the main manufacturer, the dealership we purchased from(Wilkins RV, New York), and the dealership that was supposed to repair it(DelMarVa RV Milford, DE).

It is things like this that make people go with other brands!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Alvenia, did you check the water lines yourself at the PDI? Where exactly are the leaks? Perhaps someone could help you make the fix yourself and save a trip to the dealer if we know where it is coming from.

kowAlski631

We can all understand your frustration. Where are the leaks? How long has this been going on? Have you spoken with HL about it?

jnbhobe

I sure wouldn't miss a trip because of a water leak, I would take the wall down and tighten all the fittings myself then I would check under the kitched and bathroom sinks too.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Many people do a pretty good inspection of their new trailer before they actually take possession of it, and there are some inspection lists available right here. Yes I was serious.

porthole

Retired
Said it before - It really is incumbent on the owners to check all those fittings. Doesn't matter how good the PDI was. Give all your water systems a dozen - couple of dozen no pressure - full pressure hot and cold cycles and the odds of the fittings getting loose are really good.

Seen it on my Sunnybrook, seen it on my Cyclone, seen it on my boat and I did that install. Just a fact of expansion and contraction, lets not forget a little vibration thrown in for good measure with our rolling earthquakes.

And I would add - spring time get ready - do some more cycles and check the fittings again. No sense having a surprise on your first trip of the year.

And don't forget the hard to get to fittings behind the shower mixer. Murphy's Law will dictate the hardest to get to is the most likely to leak.

And yes, I am serious and I approve this message :rolleyes:

Alvenia

We are not sure where the leak is that is why we took it to the shop. We called Heartland and they referred us to DelMarVa RV. We took it to them and they had it for 5 days before they even touched it. Took it out and still have the leak. Have to take it back of course they are two weeks out so camping time loss. I'm just frustrated with people who don't value doing a GOOD job.

alaska dodge

We are very unhappy with having a water leak. When we took deliver, we specifically asked if they checked all the water lines and we of course was told yes. Previous experience was the reason we asked. We had a Bighorn and had to take it back to the shop twice before they fixed it. Now the same thing. There is no reason why these units should have water problems. We paid a substantial amount of money and should not have these problems. Now we have to cancel camping trips and loss money on our deposit because of faulty workmanship, starting at the main manufacturer, the dealership we purchased from(Wilkins RV, New York), and the dealership that was supposed to repair it(DelMarVa RV Milford, DE).

It is things like this that make people go with other brands!

Check your grey tank valves, one of my grey tanks wasn't clamped where the pipe comes out of the tank. Water only came out when driving, I searched every water line then saw the belly bowing and pushed up on it and it was grey water. The clamp was there just not used, I tightened the clamp and no more leak.

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100
2012 Dodge Megacab 3500 Dually, 6.7L max tow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

porthole

Retired
We are not sure where the leak is that is why we took it to the shop. We called Heartland and they referred us to DelMarVa RV. We took it to them and they had it for 5 days before they even touched it. Took it out and still have the leak. Have to take it back of course they are two weeks out so camping time loss. I'm just frustrated with people who don't value doing a GOOD job.

Unfortunately the issue you have with actually getting your leak fixed is an industry wide problem, not just Cyclone/Heartland products. The dealers, many just don't have the same procedures that automotive dealers have.

Last edited:

CeeCee

Don't know how far you are from Bath, Pa. but Harold RV has an excellent service center. We bought our RV in SC & he has done all of our service. We can't say enough about his dealership. We had 2 pages of warranty work & they fixed it all. He also is a Heartland Dealer.

oscar

Like Porthole says......leaks happen. If you are 100% dependent on dealers to take care of things the chance of becoming a victim of their business practices is very high. I cannot over stress the importance of a healthy amount of self reliance.

Soooo...... if it was me I wouldn't let it ruin my vacation either. Where are you noticing the water? Touch it, smell it. Is it fresh water? Grey water? Black water? Is there anything getting wet that really doesn't need to get wet like walls or carpeting? Or is it somewhere below the floor and not hurting anything short term? Open up an access into the systems compartment and stick a flashlight in there.....

If you expect perfection you WILL be disappointed. And yes, dealers that deliver top notch service are far and few between. Take control of your life.

jpdoggett

I have had leaks from day one most of them are fixed. The one that was the worst was a dealers fault you dont put in a new water line to the ref. and not hook it up under the rv and then leave the valve open. the last one was plastic fittings in a brass valve. put we love our Landmark

dieselsweetheart

I just heard from our fellow DE Heartland owner that DelMarVa service is extremely slow. Unfortunately that's the only dealer in our area selling Heartlands, and they don't even sell all the models...just the BCs and the Prowlers from what I can tell.

porthole

Retired
Just an update on a wet toolbox fix.

The toolbox fix is documented in my other thread, but since this a water leak thread I'm posting here.
We have been in some torrential downpours recently, one wind driven enough to force water into the coach from the fridge vent.

My tool box is dry, no hint of moisture.
Convices me that the carpet weeping up the water was the culprit.

Yeah - no more mold!
Although I do wonder why the simialrly designed bin on the door side stays dry

porthole

Retired
Because the docking atation isn't sealed?

That was where I started.

It was mentioned at the RV lunch that it was door design issue. Given the health issues with mold, maybe doors should have available for those with wet tool boxes.