Installing 6-Point Level-Up System

scottyb

After looking at the brochure, will you continue to use the rear stabilizers since so much is hanging behind the rear jacks, especially with the patio option? Looks like they would be good to use if you have kids or dogs bouncing around back there.

wiredawgchief

Scotty, I'm not sure whether I'll use the rear stabilizers or not. I'll know in a couple of weeks as we'll be heading to Disney World. The system is really cool...I demo'd it to my brother-in-law by placing in manual mode, raising all jacks at once, and lifted the tires about 4 inches off the ground. This is how I will store my rig to keep weight off the tires. I'll update more in the next couple of days plus some pics. Ron

danemayer

This is how I will store my rig to keep weight off the tires.

You should check the Lippert Manual before doing this. Here's a quote from one of the older manuals:

WARNING! -
NEVER LIFT THE COACH COMPLETELY OFF THE

GROUND. LIFTING THE COACH SO THE WHEELS ARE
NOT TOUCHING GROUND WILL CREATE AN UNSTABLE
AND UNSAFE CONDITION AND MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS
PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

It might just be Lippert's lawyers writing this, but the way it's worded suggests there might also be engineering concerns.

I lift the wheels off the ground with my 4 point system, but only for short periods, and with supports under the frame to prevent injury if working underneath.

curt717

Happy Campers
I have had the Level-UP for two seasons. I absolutely love it. Have not had to use the rear stabilizers to keep from wobbleing.
Do Not, I repeat Do Not lift the wheels completly off the ground. Let the system level the coach and call t good. Even if you have put it on boards or whatever for wnter storage. Only clear the wheels in case of an emergency like fixing a flat.

wiredawgchief

Dane, I can understand the liability issues and the caution. I feel safe doing this in my shop with 8 inch reinforced concrete. As a precaution, I will place 6 ea 12-ton jacks under it. It is awesome. If I do use the rear stabilizers, I will need to raise them first when breaking camp or risk tearing them up retracting the level-up jacks. Talk to y'all soon. Ron

porthole

Retired
You should check the Lippert Manual before doing this. Here's a quote from one of the older manuals:

WARNING! -
NEVER LIFT THE COACH COMPLETELY OFF THE

GROUND. LIFTING THE COACH SO THE WHEELS ARE
NOT TOUCHING GROUND WILL CREATE AN UNSTABLE
AND UNSAFE CONDITION AND MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS
PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

Legalese - Lippert will tell you the above and personal conversations with the inventer will tell you the opposite.

12 hours to mount 4 jacks and 6 to finish the install is a long time!

I pulled my Cyclone into the Lippert shop at 6:30am, pulled out around 3pm.
That was 6 jacks (fronts were electric) 1 new pump and valve and everything else. Only thing not done was mounting the control. Didn't care for their method so I had them leave it bundled in the basement.

Cyclones with fuel cells add to the job as the rear jack on at least one side may have to be installed inboard of the frame.

That was $2400 total.

wiredawgchief

Lippert really surprised me quoting $4,900 for it in Indiana. All four of my rear jacks are mounted outboard and I have both the rear toilet and fuel cell. I understand Lippert's warning about lifting the unit off the ground...I can imagine all the liability issues. Goes to show you there are deals out their if timing is right. Ron

donr827

Lippert note is what I call Lawyer Talk. Can not blame Lippert with everbody wanting to blame someone else instead of them selves for a mistake. I purchased a baby monitor a couple of days ago and the first three pages were warnings.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Purchase a stick of dynamite and it will probably come with a warning label about sitting on it after lighting the fuse. Why be responsible when there are legions of aging trial lawyers with gray ponytails out there salivating for a paycheck.

danemayer

My observation over the years is that people who frequently put themselves in a position where they can get hurt, eventually do get hurt. We can all laugh at the multitude of warning labels on ladders, but stand on the top step often enough, and you'll know why there's a warning label.

And after the accident happens, we call it bad design.

wiredawgchief

I spent 30 years in the military, which has many inherently dangerous systems and activities. We have a process call Operational Risk Management (ORM), where you identify the system or process at hand, identify all the inherent dangers, identify the measures to mitigate the risks and perform a final assessment. Many of us do this everyday without thinking about it. That is why many of us have checklists to follow to ensure every step is followed, providing the safest environment possible. Ron

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
My observation over the years is that people who frequently put themselves in a position where they can get hurt, eventually do get hurt. We can all laugh at the multitude of warning labels on ladders, but stand on the top step often enough, and you'll know why there's a warning label.

And after the accident happens, we call it bad design.

since I retired from the Army I've been teaching industrial safety. I often joke about spending more time teaching Murphy's Law than anything. I never had worked anywhere other than the farm growing up and went into the service at age 17. After 23 years I got my first dose of the civilian work force and I always thought soldiers did dumb unsafe acts, well, it goes for civilians as well. Since April 2009 I watched a guy crawl under a 60k electric motor to place blocks to rest it on. A forklift with no brakes that the operator run against the wall to slow it down on a ramp so not to run into the molten glass at the bottom. But the guy who used the extension cord for fall arrest tops it all.

oscar

A long time ago I was ripping a 2x4 the long way, poorly balanced on a plastic garbage can holding the piece with one and the circular saw with the other. Of course the saw kicked back. 10 stitches and I was good to go. (I got lucky). Every time I start doing something similar I remember, and stop and secure the piece so I can hold the saw with two hands. I did learn something. No sticker will accomplish that.

hogwaii

Where in Ft. Worth are you taking your trailer for the leveling system? I have a 2011, 3950 Cyclone and want the leveling system too. So far, I have a 5K estimate from a place in Quartzite, AZ. If I can't find a deal like yours in the Southwest, I'll go to Ft. Worth. Thanks.
…Greg

Never mind, I didn't read far enough before I read where in Ft Worth this dealer is. Thanks, got the info. My bad.
…..Greg

Last edited: